Why become a member? ×

Vertically Aligned Speakers

Roland Rock

I'm sure that many of you already know about this, but I thought I'd share my own experience.

I have been reading Alex Claber's articles in BGM, and decided to implement a piece of advice he imparted - to turn my (2x10) cab on its end so that the speakers were vertical, rather than the usual horizontal. Luckily it has feet on both one side and on the bottom, and the reduced footprint meant I could rest it on my head's flightcase to raise it up a bit (no scrounging for beer crates at the bar) Unfortunately, it meant I had to put the head on the floor, as it would no longer fit on the cab.

The result? I wouldn't say a huge increase in volume as such, but a marked increase in [i]clarity[/i]. I could hear every note coming through the band mix as if I was playing alone at home. I'll do this at every opportunity in future.

note - it was a venue I hadn't played before, so that could be a factor too

Edited by Roland Rock

When doing sound I used to persuade bands using small guitar combos to use my amp stand to tilt the amps at their ears wherever possible. This normally meant they'd drop the amp volume right down AND be happier with the stage sound, giving a much better balance out front - it always went down well with those that could be cajoled into trying it. The midrange frequencies which give clarity to a sound are very directional from a 12". I do the same thing with my own small bass combo and it really helps.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1219006' date='May 3 2011, 07:03 PM']When doing sound I used to persuade bands using small guitar combos to use my amp stand to tilt the amps at their ears wherever possible. This normally meant they'd drop the amp volume right down AND be happier with the stage sound, giving a much better balance out front - it always went down well with those that could be cajoled into trying it. The midrange frequencies which give clarity to a sound are very directional from a 12". I do the same thing with my own small bass combo and it really helps.[/quote]

He its not a new idea WEM where doing it in the 60's and also had double angled cabs with 6 drivers in but they didn't catch on prob didnt look cool even though they where most def better than all the other crap and the time....................

[quote name='dan670844' post='1219010' date='May 3 2011, 02:08 PM']He its not a new idea WEM where doing it in the 60's and also had double angled cabs with 6 drivers in but they didn't catch on prob didnt look cool even though they where most def better than all the other crap and the time....................[/quote]
The proof of concept can be seen in St.Pauls in London; the original installation was done in 1949. Acoustical engineers knew that was the right way to do multiple driver cabs for a decade prior to that. Needless to say Leo Fender and Jim Marshall were not acoustical engineers.

I know it is not really a rock concert, but if you go to kings cross, have a look at their PA speakers.. they have 3" drivers and are stacked about 25 high.

I guess it is for the same reason.

For gigs I often use a 410 with a 210 on top... I think I will try putting the 210 vertically next time and see what happens...

would it make sense to align the speakers with the ones below... or not really bothered? :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1222580' date='May 6 2011, 03:49 PM']For gigs I often use a 410 with a 210 on top... I think I will try putting the 210 vertically next time and see what happens...

would it make sense to align the speakers with the ones below... or not really bothered? :)[/quote]
It may work better, hard to say, as the setup is already knackered by the horizontally placed drivers in the 410.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1222623' date='May 6 2011, 09:28 PM']It may work better, hard to say, as the setup is already knackered by the horizontally placed drivers in the 410.[/quote]

:) ah!

but... they're not horizontal... it's TWO vertical ones side by side! :)

One of the best live sounds I ever had in a small room was preamp>Bose L2 vertical array. Same sound everywhere in the room at more or less the same volume. Not necessarily 'loud' but evenly distributed over the whole room (sounds weird, I know...)

Also, Ron Wickersham of Alembic built the Grateful Dead's 'Wall of Sound' PA in 1973/4 using vertical array principles: no backine, no monitoring, just even projection in a stadium. Unfortunately it proved really expensive to develop and transport, but if you're a nerdy Deadhead like me, the '74 live tapes are some of the best sounding audience recordings.

[attachment=79221:grateful..._sound_1.jpg]

Good morning!

Let's hear it for the Bose "Vertical Array" speakers.

I went out and bought a Bose L1 system, a Tonematch mixer, & two B1 bass boxes after using another bands system just once.

It all breaks down into light separate units, gives a geat bass sound, AND you can put the vocals through it as well.

Like Bassninja said - evenly spread sound through the whole room - very strange, and delivers the sound round corners too! It means the punters near the band don't get blasted, and the people at the back get to hear it too (and round the corners in odd shaped rooms).

A real revelation after playing through "normal" equipment - in front of a big speaker "box", and from behind two PA columns for the last 40 years!. Not loud, but great, even, quality, sound right through the venue.

(Hey - I think I'll see if I can get a "Bose Sales" T shirt & a sponsorship deal -Hmmmmm.)

Speaking of vertical amps of yesteryear does anyone remember "TRIUMPH" amplifiers - they were a 2 x 12" vertical combo - - back in the late Sixteis - a local band I knew had them & I recall they had a great sound (for the time).

:)

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1219006' date='May 3 2011, 07:03 PM']When doing sound I used to persuade bands using small guitar combos to use my amp stand to tilt the amps at their ears wherever possible. This normally meant they'd drop the amp volume right down AND be happier with the stage sound, giving a much better balance out front - it always went down well with those that could be cajoled into trying it. The midrange frequencies which give clarity to a sound are very directional from a 12". I do the same thing with my own small bass combo and it really helps.[/quote]

I've lost count of the number of times I've posted this pic and I really must get a more up to date one with the Laney cab. Means I'm never louder than I need to be

These days I usually have it to the side of the stage so my adoring fans can see my fingers going 20 to the dozen and I can bust some moves :)

Whilst vertically stacked speakers, such as two 2x10s, will sound better, there is unfortunately a downside to this:

Clumsy band members!

If I`d had this setup, my gear would have been knocked over so many times, I would more than likely now be in prison for making said clumsy fool(s) eat one of the cabs.

Great in theory, but choose your bandmates accordingly.

Following on from my earlier post, I'm acquiring a pair of 15" bass drivers - now I'm thinking about building a 2 x 15" vertical cab.

How about one that will clip together (but have an open base on the top cabinet, and an open top on the bottowm one, if you see what I mean,) so as to make it more portable?

Hmmm...

[quote name='Stompbox' post='1224336' date='May 8 2011, 01:29 PM']Following on from my earlier post, I'm acquiring a pair of 15" bass drivers - now I'm thinking about building a 2 x 15" vertical cab.

How about one that will clip together (but have an open base on the top cabinet, and an open top on the bottowm one, if you see what I mean,) so as to make it more portable?

Hmmm...

:)[/quote]Just make two 1x15.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1224349' date='May 8 2011, 06:41 PM']Just make two 1x15.[/quote]
Well yes, but then you couldn't carry, say, your packed lunch, or other interesting soft, squidgy items inside the open topped (and bottomed) cabinets -to save space ............. you know, a bit like the old dance band drum kits, where the bass drum came in half, and you could put the cymbals and snare inside, then clip it back together for transit.

You could put it together side by side as well.......

[quote name='Stompbox' post='1224336' date='May 8 2011, 06:29 PM']Following on from my earlier post, I'm acquiring a pair of 15" bass drivers - now I'm thinking about building a 2 x 15" vertical cab.

Hmmm...

:)[/quote]
I would imagine this would be difficult to make so that it's entirely rigid - from a sonic point of view - when it's put together. With sympathetic bracing, neoprene gasketing and use of some neo magnets to hold the two halves together you could design a really quick to assemble/disassemble system. I don't know it the benefits would outweigh the trouble though. I'd do two cabs as Bill says.

Look at the FEarful plans on basstalk (although BFM's plans hardly break the bank in terms of cost)... Of course you need to match the driver to the cab design..

[quote name='Stompbox' post='1224463' date='May 8 2011, 08:22 PM']Yes - you are probably right.

That's what I think I will do.

Are there any decent plans available through the Bsschat site?

Thanks,

Stompbox.[/quote]

Edited by markstuk