Why become a member? ×

what do you call a bassist with no band??

That's a shame mate.

It's normally .......................> Johngh

It took me the best part of 18 months to get set up with a half decent band again, very happy with the current band though. Good solid foundation to build on.

Stick in there though, it's all too easy to give up.

[quote name='Johngh' post='1216629' date='May 1 2011, 04:05 PM']That's a shame mate.

It's normally .......................> Johngh

It took me the best part of 18 months to get set up with a half decent band again, very happy with the current band though. Good solid foundation to build on.

Stick in there though, it's all too easy to give up.[/quote]

cheers buddy.

Think I will be more selective next time I join a band though. The singer was into sh*t like, Just Jack and paulo Nattini, the guitarist was a pure thrash metalist and me and the drummer are rock/blues. It just didnt work.

I know your predicament, been band-less since August last year. Ultimately it's been a good thing - I kept busy with two or three random gigs in the down time and embarked upon bass lessons. I think I've just about joined a new band, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hope you find something soon mannie.

It's threads like this that persuade me to put up with the guitarsehole in my band ... I look over the brink at a band-less future and think "No way!".

Gigging (maybe two pub gigs a month when we're doing well, no world tours) is what keeps me sane.

WELL,

I have an audition in a few weeks with a band ( I dont waste no time).

Now then, they gave me a list of a few tunes they are doing and I wouldnt say they are the kinda tunes I would choose to normally do as they just dont float my boat. They arent too far away from my usual stuff but not quite there.

I now dont know if its worth letting this one by and holding out for something that I instantly click with. Or go along and try it anyway which means learning about 13 songs that I have to learn from scratch and barely know to listen to!!!!!!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1216877' date='May 1 2011, 08:39 PM']WELL,

I have an audition in a few weeks with a band ( I dont waste no time).

Now then, they gave me a list of a few tunes they are doing and I wouldnt say they are the kinda tunes I would choose to normally do as they just dont float my boat. They arent too far away from my usual stuff but not quite there.

I now dont know if its worth letting this one by and holding out for something that I instantly click with. Or go along and try it anyway which means learning about 13 songs that I have to learn from scratch and barely know to listen to!!!!!![/quote]

If nothing else, it's keeping your hand in.

Learning new stuff, even if it isn't exactly what you like is all good stuff, I find it makes me appreciate other styles etc a bit more.

You can but try this other band, it might work out ok, if not you can always jack it after you have given it a bash...nothing ventured nothing gained and all that guff!

Happy (I got away), Sad (It could have been good), Relieved(no more crises / egos to fix), Strong (I work in the same place and line manage several of them - broken the cardinal rule - never mix pleasure and business), P***d off (Good friendships forged over several years seemed to have broken down) - however all now sorted and playing again. At the same time guitar player and self got binned from another band - no reasons, no pack drill etc. At a loss on that one as we played well, were really professional, did the business (we were on fire), have no idea at all. C'est la vie. so how did I feel, confused, but move on. One day, One day....

[quote name='Johnston' post='1217033' date='May 1 2011, 11:14 PM']You know what they say.

Any old port in a storm :)

You never know if the rest of the band are good craic and the gigs are good you might surprise yourself.[/quote]

hahahaha.

Thats the way im looking at it. Hopefully not knowing anyone and the excitement of the experience will stop me thinking about the poor song choices (in my opinion of course).

I've been out of a band for 2 years or so. However, I'm just starting writing songs and getting a band together.

I was in Berkeley2 on Friday and met a few guys in the corridor I used to play covers with, I think they said they were looking for a bass player again. You could ask them if you're interested in covers and weddings. [url="http://www.thedancettes.co.uk"]http://www.thedancettes.co.uk[/url]

It's not much fun being out of a band, but I am a better bass player for it. Hope it all comes good for you mate.

Ralph

[quote name='RalphDWilson' post='1217986' date='May 2 2011, 07:59 PM']I've been out of a band for 2 years or so. However, I'm just starting writing songs and getting a band together.

I was in Berkeley2 on Friday and met a few guys in the corridor I used to play covers with, I think they said they were looking for a bass player again. You could ask them if you're interested in covers and weddings. [url="http://www.thedancettes.co.uk"]http://www.thedancettes.co.uk[/url]

It's not much fun being out of a band, but I am a better bass player for it. Hope it all comes good for you mate.

Ralph[/quote]

nice one Ralph thanks for that buddy. PM coming your way.

Audition has just fallen through due to our shedules just wont match up for rehearsals :)

and the dancettes have a bassist.

Back to the drawingboard........

My brother-in-law (drummer) and I have been considering a motown/blues/rock'n'roll genre based band. Could be interersting if it takes off. Just need a band!!!!!!!!!

Ok bit of an update and quite suprised at how things have sorted themselves out.

First up my original audition fell through due to my family commitments and the fact that the bands rehearsal time didnt tie in when I was free. Bit of a shame but hey ho.

So I now have another audition lined up and to be honest its all sounding quite exciting. They seem to be a good bunch of guys doing good old pub rock
/blues tunes. On the back of this the band organiser further emailed me and asked would I be interested in a side project with him and a female singer he knows as he thinks they will be gigging very quickly and needs a rhythm section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES I said,,,,,,,,if it gets me gigging then I will sign up. So this

Further more I was down at the local jam where I know all the guys. They said to me that they were looking for a stand in bassist for last night however forgot all about me as I rarely get down to the pub these days. They apologised and took my number and advised if I want to then I will be the backup bassist. Pretty sweet as it again gets me out but not every weekend. So I took over as bassist last night for the jam band :) the bassist they had didnt realy mind as he wasnt sure of the tunes (either was I, but I like to bluff it) and im sure he still got his cash at the end of the night.

So I am now in the market for a MIM P-bass at the 200-250 mark as I wont be letting anyone touch my Jag as it has too much value to me as a bass and no way am I taking my Ric due to its actual value.

So all very exciting and fingers crossed something comws from it all.