Why become a member? ×

£2000 for a new Ibanez bass ???

far0n

What about this for a mere £5357?

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-gvb1006-gerald-veasley-6-string-signature-bass-guitar-amber--71962"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-gvb100...ar-amber--71962[/url]

How about one of these? :-) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300529247557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

BTB Prestige.. 35" scale....

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1210902' date='Apr 25 2011, 02:25 PM']Forgot to say, I got a BTB575 and it is awesome, but not quite £2k...[/quote]

Lets not forget that people have been paying a whole load of money for Ibanez guitars over the years. For a shade under £6000 you can get an Ibanez Jem that has the actual vomit of Steve Vai all over the body [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-JEM-DNA-Y2K-ALL-ORIGINAL-/120715037416?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1b2d4ae8#ht_982wt_1141"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-JEM-DNA-Y2K-A...8#ht_982wt_1141[/url] What's the term for this paint job? Technicolour yawn?

Do people think that Ibanez aren't capable of making high end instruments or something? If you've ever played an Ibanez J-Custom guitar, you'll know they're among the finest crafted instruments you'll ever see in your life. If Ibanez are saying there's two grands worth of materials and construction in these then I'm keen to play them, to be honest. One grand of Ibanez is often to the level of two grand of some other, let's say, more respected manufacturers. I would fully expect these basses to be the dog's burritos. I'd agree entirely with the Yamaha comparison, just because they're great at making great value for money instruments doesn't mean they're incapable of making something special that justifies a premium. That's logical, right? :)

Edited by Doctor J

• 1 year later...

Just got one of these yesterday. I went to the store with no intention of buying anything when I saw this sucker and began to play it. Oh man...I couldn't part ways with the instrument, it's simply the best bass I've played since my Yamaha TRB 6P. I've owned more than 50 basses in my life. I understand the price tag completely, you really need to play this instrument before criticizing it. The feel is totally professional the neck profile is perfect, not like those unplayable SR-toothpicks. It's balances perfectly and sounds good for anything. I can really play on this one. The bass invites for playing and beats my old ibanez btb 1206 prestige BIG TIME in every aspect but looks and pickups (and that btb was a work of art)
The cons: heavy weight (for me, it's somewhere around 5 kg), not as quiet electronics as I would like from an expensive bass, e string feels a little dull. Other than that its a dream bass come true. Try one, this bass will be a cult instrument in the future.

Edited by Inti

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1356827203' post='1914178']
It's just a badge thing.

Like those sad cases that get rid of Squier on the headstock and put a Fender decal on.

If that Ibby was worth the asking price then I'd buy it.
[/quote]

It's seems to be a badge thing why people DON'T buy it. Put a FODERA on the headstock and people would find it a bargain.

This is certainly an amazing instrument. Not played one=no opinion.

Edited by Inti

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1356828778' post='1914188']
[b]*** INFLATION ALERT *** [/b] :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl:

GBP 2,000 for an Ibanez? It's like paying GBP 20/kg for sirloin steak, when it used to be GBP 15/kg a year ago.
[/quote]
You don't pay 2000 for an Ibanez. You pay 2000 for an amazing bass, how can that be so hard to get?

Edited by Inti

Just out of interest I had a look at the RRP of the Ibanez Musician bass when introduced in 1979 : $788 US.

The exchange rate was $2.11 to the £, so that's £370.

Build in inflation since 1979, and you end up with £1,650.

I don't know how this one would compare with the Musician, but that was a classy bass!

My Ibby SR700 was worth every penny of the £600 or so I paid for it. Ultimately the neck proved to be too thin, and after 18 months I had to let her go.

Now, if I had £2k to blow on a bass, it would most probably be a Yamaha BB2024x. Although the 1024 would be just as good at less than half the price, with some dosh left over for some more lessons.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1303804958' post='1211443']
Do people think that Ibanez aren't capable of making high end instruments or something? If you've ever played an Ibanez J-Custom guitar, you'll know they're among the finest crafted instruments you'll ever see in your life. If Ibanez are saying there's two grands worth of materials and construction in these then I'm keen to play them, to be honest. One grand of Ibanez is often to the level of two grand of some other, let's say, more respected manufacturers. I would fully expect these basses to be the dog's burritos. I'd agree entirely with the Yamaha comparison, just because they're great at making great value for money instruments doesn't mean they're incapable of making something special that justifies a premium. That's logical, right? :D
[/quote]

Spot on!