Why become a member? ×

Monolith Cabs

Bankai

Wow!

So how do the "Two front facing speakers and a center resonance side ported chamber containing two offset facing 15’s!" benefit the design?

My understanding is they just face each other on the inside of the cab. Does that actually benefit anything? I guess it must somehow, but I dont understand. I would have expected a straight forward 415 arrangement to be more beneficial.....

I do like the look of those effects boxes!! Very tasty!!

It is a copy of the old Acoustic 408. The speakers used in it couldn't move very far (xmax) so you crammed loads in a small box for air shifting, and didn't worry about the choking bass from the small box, because the slot thing acted as an acoustic low pass (like the Schroeder sideways speaker) which balanced things out, Acoustic used solid state so sensitivity wasn't such a worry as max displacement/power handling. All a bit irrelevant now.

The centre chamber will act as an acoustic filter removing some high frequencies from the two centre speakers. they claim a resonant centre chamber with side ports but for this to work properly the centre chamber would need to be sealed at the front, have they removed a panel for the photo I wonder?

This sort of design was worked out before the work of Thiele was widely known and probably is technically dubious. A sort of "throw lots of big speakers at it and make it look good" approach.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='markstuk' post='1225293' date='May 9 2011, 05:01 PM']How about one of these? :-)

[url="http://www.tecamp.de/index.php?id=36"]http://www.tecamp.de/index.php?id=36[/url][/quote]

That's got to be one of the stupidest & most pointless cabs I've ever seen! :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1225374' date='May 9 2011, 06:18 PM']That's got to be one of the stupidest & most pointless cabs I've ever seen! :)[/quote]

but my Lord you could have my first born son if you got me one of those and a roadie or two.