Why become a member? ×

MarkBass and Precisions?

Linus27

I have just got a MarkBass 121H combo which generally is very nice. However, I am struggling to get a sound that I am happy with from it with my Precision.
If I run the EQ flat with no VLE or VPF it sounds very boxy, boomy and clanky. Very messy, aggresive and unbalanced. I find I have to turn the low frequency down a little as the bass frequency is massive. The low mids to 9 o clock to reduce the boomy boxy sound and the high to around 3 o clock to get a bit of clarity. If I use the VPF, then it sounds a bit better but I loose all the top end and expresion. I have read another comment that MarkBass and Precisions don't mix too well which I find hard to believe. I am trying to get a smooth, warm but balanced tone but at the moment it seems to be a bit all over the place. I am even considering trying flats as well as a Jazz bass but as my main bass is a Precision I would like to get this to work first.

Anyone have any advice or can share their setup?

I have used a LM3 with a P and Aggie cabs, that was nice, but I must admit, with an F500 and NY122, it sounded sterile and too 'lifeless'.

It can be done, but when I've just plugged and played, the J sounded naturally better with the MB gear.

Could just be that it's SO clean and almost flat..

[quote name='Linus27' post='1198899' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:24 PM']I have just got a MarkBass 121H combo which generally is very nice. However, I am struggling to get a sound that I am happy with from it with my Precision.
If I run the EQ flat with no VLE or VPF it sounds very boxy, boomy and clanky. Very messy, aggresive and unbalanced. I find I have to turn the low frequency down a little as the bass frequency is massive. The low mids to 9 o clock to reduce the boomy boxy sound and the high to around 3 o clock to get a bit of clarity. If I use the VPF, then it sounds a bit better but I loose all the top end and expresion. I have read another comment that MarkBass and Precisions don't mix too well which I find hard to believe. I am trying to get a smooth, warm but balanced tone but at the moment it seems to be a bit all over the place. I am even considering trying flats as well as a Jazz bass but as my main bass is a Precision I would like to get this to work first.

Anyone have any advice or can share their setup?[/quote]
How loud are you playing?

A small box will sound boxy(!) when driven hard.

I like a P-bass sound and I have liked a few MB amps...not sure I would put them together though.
Context is everything but the LMll doesn't amp up that well, to my ears, but sounds great at lower volumes and with a P-bass, I would want a tad of break-up in the sound, so..it wouldn't be my idea of a match-up in theory.

But if it works for some, then..??

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1199030' date='Apr 14 2011, 08:34 AM']How loud are you playing?

A small box will sound boxy(!) when driven hard.[/quote]

Not loud at all. The gain is at about 1 O'Clock which is way before it starts to clip. The volume at zero is about 7 O'Clock so I probably have it at 8 O'Clock.

I might had made some progress last night by having everything flat (at 12 O'Clock) apart from the Low Mids which were set to 9 O'Clock. The VLE and VPF were both off. I am still going to try flats though as I do want that warm smooth sound.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1199035' date='Apr 14 2011, 08:42 AM']I like a P-bass sound and I have liked a few MB amps...not sure I would put them together though.
Context is everything but the LMll doesn't amp up that well, to my ears, but sounds great at lower volumes and with a P-bass, I would want a tad of break-up in the sound, so..it wouldn't be my idea of a match-up in theory.

But if it works for some, then..??[/quote]

I have found this also. It sounds good at low volume but as soon as you amp it up, the tone goes all over the place.

Hi Linus,

I play a '69 P bass strung with Thomastik flats through a Markbass SA450and Bergatino AE410 or HT112... the sound always works incredibly well for me. In my opinion the Markbass amps are warm but nice and clear/clean and work really nicely with Berg cabs. I've tried my amp through a Bergantino NV412 and NV610 too and it sounded fantastic through those big vintage-style cabinets. I've gigged with the SA450 and LMII through Epifani UL40 and Ampeg 8 x 10 and SVT410HE cabs always with excellent results.

Interestingly, I recently played a couple of gigs through a Markbass 4x10... it sounded fine but there was nothing incredible about it, just a decent sound.

The flats on the P bass do sound great if smooth and warm is what you're after. The tone seems to improve with the age of the strings too if you want that old sound. I haven't changed my strings in over two years and the bass still sounds great on gigs and on recordings. In the studio I mike up my Berg HT112 powered by the SA450.

I definitely don't agree that P bass and Markbass don't go well together, but it's all about personal preference (I'd LOVE a big fat heavy Aguilar or Ampeg rig but they're too big, fat and heavy!!).

I don't know if this helps at all... All I know is from what I've heard from a lot of Markbass users, it's their heads that shine rather than their speaker systems.

Steve

Edited by Steve Amadeo

Thanks Steve. I will give flats a go tonight and if that does not work, then it might just be a case of using the MB combo for practises and I go back and gig with the Aggy cab and Shuttle 6. I had hoped to just use the combo but if its not to be then its just not to be.

Linus, I'd seriously investigate hooking that amp up to a different cab.

IME MB analogue heads (that combo has a 'digital' power supply but analogue poweramp IIRC) are really good at amplifing a nice warm version of the sound of the bass you plug into it. The cabs aren't the best out there (not as good as the amps IMO), they are OK but not worth the immense price IMO.

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='1199047' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:10 AM']I don't know if this helps at all... All I know is from what I've heard from a lot of Markbass users, it's their heads that shine rather than their speaker systems.
Steve[/quote]

+1 to that. But it does seem to work for some people.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1199069' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:37 AM']+1 to that. But it does seem to work for some people.[/quote]

Absolutely, and to be fair I haven't tested a full Markbass amp and speaker system in anger yet.

That's a good point about trying the combo amp with another speaker if possible.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1199061' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:26 AM']Linus, I'd seriously investigate hooking that amp up to a different cab.

IME MB analogue heads (that combo has a 'digital' power supply but analogue poweramp IIRC) are really good at amplifing a nice warm version of the sound of the bass you plug into it. The cabs aren't the best out there (not as good as the amps IMO), they are OK but not worth the immense price IMO.[/quote]

The only thing is, that goes against the whole point of having a combo. I already have a Shuttle 6 and a couple of Aggy GS112 speakers so I might as well stick with that if I was going to start using the MarkBass head with a seperate speaker. The reason for the combo is the band I have just joined is an acoustic type setup and so I wanted a nice easy option of one bass, one combo, plug in and play and no complications. We rehearse in the singers from room as its acoustic so having a combo is just so much easier rather than taking my rig apart, setting up in singers house, practise, take it all apart again and assembling again at home.

[quote name='jontywisp' post='1199077' date='Apr 14 2011, 09:42 AM']stick a Sansamp between your bass and the Markbass, set the Sansamp to the SVT settings,
and you will instantly be in P-sound heaven, whether for flats or rounds[/quote]

+1 to that although i find having the Blend on about 25% enough for bringing my bass to life.

Ive been using MB heads for about 5 years now and its only recently that i got a BDDI. I cant believe the difference it makes, especially when im using my P bass.
I have had some great tones out of my MB heads without the BDDI though, but ive always felt the cab was colouring the tone, I'm now thinking that maybe the head is a bit more coloured than i thought. It gets the job done but i cant help think it works better with a Jazz than any P bass ive put through it.

I also agree that the MB cabs are nothing special, although of course a lot of people like them.

Michael. If you want to try a BDDI i have my Behringer BDI21 sitting around your welcome to borrow, works just as well.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Linus27' post='1199103' date='Apr 14 2011, 10:07 AM']The only thing is, that goes against the whole point of having a combo. I already have a Shuttle 6 and a couple of Aggy GS112 speakers so I might as well stick with that if I was going to start using the MarkBass head with a seperate speaker. The reason for the combo is the band I have just joined is an acoustic type setup and so I wanted a nice easy option of one bass, one combo, plug in and play and no complications. We rehearse in the singers from room as its acoustic so having a combo is just so much easier rather than taking my rig apart, setting up in singers house, practise, take it all apart again and assembling again at home.[/quote]

I play a Precision with flats into a LMIII/Aggy GS112 and I've never had a problem finding any sound that I'm after.

Maybe it's just the combo that's the issue and a seperate speaker is the answer?

As for the issue of just wanting to lug a combo to practice. Stick the amp head into the front of your gig bag and take one GS112. Will be just as easy to carry as taking a combo.

[quote name='skej21' post='1199166' date='Apr 14 2011, 10:51 AM']I play a Precision with flats into a LMIII/Aggy GS112 and I've never had a problem finding any sound that I'm after.

Maybe it's just the combo that's the issue and a seperate speaker is the answer?

As for the issue of just wanting to lug a combo to practice. Stick the amp head into the front of your gig bag and take one GS112. Will be just as easy to carry as taking a combo.[/quote]

I'm interested to hear how the MB head sounds with my Aggy cab so I will try that at the weekend.

Trust me, taking a combo is much easier. With the combo, all I have to do is pick it up, put in boot of car, plug it in at practise and I'm ready to go. With the seperate head and speaker, I have to unplug the speaker cables and mains. Bag up the cables and amp head. Lift the speaker off from the other and load car. Then unbag and re-connect all the wires at practise. Then bag it all up again after and re-connect it all when I get back home. OK so its not a major hassle, but twice a week for practises, the time probably adds up and its more of a pain taking my rig apart and rebuilding rather than just chucking a combo in the boot of the car.

I think the way forward is to try flats as a lot of replies here have been people with flats.

I'd second (third?) the Sansamp/BDI route - I had a great sound with one and my LMIII with any of my Precisions. Using rounds, btw.

Funnily enough, it was trickier with my Ray. I've a friend who also has a LMIII and uses a few basses through it, but finds the Ray isn't a great mix.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1199171' date='Apr 14 2011, 11:00 AM']I think the way forward is to try flats as a lot of replies here have been people with flats.[/quote]

Personally i think flats are overrated.

Ive never got the P + flats is a match made in heaven thing, even though i have used this combo a few times.

Each to his/her own though. No offence to anyone who does use them, they just aren't for me.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Raggy' post='1199209' date='Apr 14 2011, 11:22 AM']I do know what you mean, I have one P with flats on, 1 with rounds.

At home on my own I use rounds because it sounds good to me, but at a gig its flats all the way, they just really sit in our mix well.[/quote]

Yeah, like i say ive used flats in the past, and still have a set of chromes that i know ill use again. I just find that it gives a certain tone that while it sits well in the mix, i miss the overtones you get with rounds.
I do love the feel of flats though.

I guess for Michael its worth a try. I find flats are great for getting rid of clank and fret buzz so maybe they will work.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1199217' date='Apr 14 2011, 11:30 AM']Yeah, like i say ive used flats in the past, and still have a set of chromes that i know ill use again. I just find that it gives a certain tone that while it sits well in the mix, i miss the overtones you get with rounds.
I do love the feel of flats though.

I guess for Michael its worth a try. I find flats are great for getting rid of clank and fret buzz so maybe they will work.[/quote]

My worry with flats is it will sound too boomy and dull. I love a really balanced tone and I am worried that I will loose the clarity with flats. Plus I hate the feel of flats but I guess I can get used to it. Maybe its time to move on and find a new sound. Smooth and warm. Of course if flats work out, I won't admit it. I'm too punk to admit to using flats :)