Why become a member? ×

Need opinions! Ampeg rig. Should i downgrade?

woodyratm

hey guys,
been doing some thinking recently - do i really need my ampeg SVT CL and SVT HLF610? They're bloody heavy and i don't actually think i have room for them in my flat!
I'm not gigging that often per say - maybe once a month if I'm lucky (and we're talking for 30/40 mins).
Was thinking of getting a Sansamp RBI with some form of power amp perhaps with a lightweight/small 2 or 4x10.

I play mainly dance/rock/daft stuff - Like really effects laiden and what not.

I realize that the SVT is amazing sounding, I just feel i'm wasting it and killing my back/car at the sametime.

Help?
:)

I use a Mosfet power amp, a 2x12 and an ampeg (SVT IIP) preamp. I can get it to sound pretty SVT like. :) Esp. with a compressor.

Heaviest thing I get to carry is the (2x600W) power amp which is about 14kg. So there are ways around it.

The TC's are good for this too according to them who have them on here.

I love Ampegs, but have also reached the stage (age?) where they are too heavy to move about.

I use the TC Electronic Classic 450. I also have the Sansamp BDDI which can add even more versatility, and bottom end, but for the Ampeg sound alone, the TC does it very well. Am yet to try my Eden Nemesis 410 cab out in a band situation, but at 52 lbs in weight, as oppose to the 90 lbs for Ampeg cabs, I`m sure with the afore-mentioned gear, it will perform ok.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1175481' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:45 AM']....Lightweight rigs are the way forward mate....[/quote]
+1.

How big is the flat? How many stairs?

If you've got to play loud then you'll need a neo 410 and a light 500 watt amp. A neo 212 might work but probably won't match a 410. Other cabs I'd look at would be 1 or 2 Barefaced Compacts. You can knock down walls with 2 of those!

Downsizing isn't downgrading, far from it, I don't think anyone gigging Berg cabs for instance would consider your gear an upgrade!
There's a plethora of compact, immensely powerful and fantastic sounding rigs out there. The choice nowadays is great, lots of brands have lightweight, compact gear on offer.

Big stacks are fun, i used to love having a full rig at gigs, but i eventually got sick of having to store it and move it. Not to mention having to cart it up stairs at 4am after a gig and the long motorway journey home!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1175653' date='Mar 25 2011, 10:00 AM']+1.

If you've got to play loud then you'll need a neo 410 and a light 500 watt amp. A neo 212 might work but probably won't match a 410. Other cabs I'd look at would be 1 or 2 Barefaced Compacts. You can knock down walls with 2 of those![/quote]
My 600w 4ohm 2x12 cab can match any 4x10 no problem mate :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1175653' date='Mar 25 2011, 10:00 AM']+1.

If you've got to play loud then you'll need a neo 410 and a light 500 watt amp. A neo 212 might work but probably won't match a 410. Other cabs I'd look at would be 1 or 2 Barefaced Compacts. You can knock down walls with 2 of those![/quote]

Very top floor - with small stairwell and low roofs at one point.
And the flat is pretty small - 1 bedroom. The ampeg takes up silly space just now!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1175659' date='Mar 25 2011, 10:07 AM']Downsizing isn't downgrading, far from it, I don't think anyone gigging Berg cabs for instance would consider your gear an upgrade!
There's a plethora of compact, immensely powerful and fantastic sounding rigs out there. The choice nowadays is great, lots of brands have lightweight, compact gear on offer.

Big stacks are fun, i used to love having a full rig at gigs, but i eventually got sick of having to store it and move it. Not to mention having to cart it up stairs at 4am after a gig and the long motorway journey home![/quote]

Downsizing would probs be a better word!
I'm just tired of having to shatter myself loading in and out - its not like my cabs even mic'd - so its pretty much just acting totally as on stage monitoring. Just feel abit like overkill.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1175885' date='Mar 25 2011, 01:35 PM']My 600w 4ohm 2x12 cab can match any 4x10 no problem mate :)[/quote]

Ohhh which cab is that?

You could always get yourself one of the old Ampeg BA500 combos. They sound incredible, probably the best compromise I've found to humping the SVT around everywhere all the time.

I wouldn't bother with the newer Ampeg combos, they really aren't so hot, the BA115, BA112 etc...

[quote name='woodyratm' post='1175985' date='Mar 25 2011, 02:47 PM']Ohhh which cab is that?[/quote]

The very one I've just put up for sale! See here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128890"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128890[/url]

Edited by cetera

From what you're saying, I'd say you want to get either...
a small amp that will fit in the front pouch of your gig bag (such as a GB Shuttle or MB LMIII, etc) & 1 or 2 2x10/2x12 8ohm cabs (depending on your needs) or...
a decent combo & if needed, an extra cab to match.
I can vouch for the Markbass 2x10 combo being a brilliant & loud combo & there's many other good combos to try out.
Either option would take little room up in your flat & replace your Ampeg rig no probs.

[quote name='woodyratm' post='1175464' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:28 AM']hey guys,
been doing some thinking recently - do i really need my ampeg SVT CL and SVT HLF610? They're bloody heavy and i don't actually think i have room for them in my flat!
I'm not gigging that often per say - maybe once a month if I'm lucky (and we're talking for 30/40 mins).
Was thinking of getting a Sansamp RBI with some form of power amp perhaps with a lightweight/small 2 or 4x10.

I play mainly dance/rock/daft stuff - Like really effects laiden and what not.

I realize that the SVT is amazing sounding, I just feel i'm wasting it and killing my back/car at the sametime.

Help?
:)[/quote]

RBI into a lightweight power amp with a Genz 2x12. Has and does work for me! :)

[quote name='cetera' post='1176016' date='Mar 25 2011, 03:09 PM']The very one I've just put up for sale! See here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128890"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128890[/url][/quote]
That's the one mate :) Brilliant cab and in 4 ohm format it's an easy match for a 4x10 volume wise and to my ears has more bottom end handling capability I guess due to the drivers being midway between 10s and 15s. Never had to push it even close to make it fart either.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='woodyratm' post='1175464' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:28 AM']hey guys,
been doing some thinking recently - do i really need my ampeg SVT CL and SVT HLF610? They're bloody heavy and i don't actually think i have room for them in my flat![/quote]

Im sure at what ever level you are playing at you don't need it, plenty of options, TC rig being one of them

Large ampeg rigs do look and sound cool however, if I wasn't moving my own gear, Id own one