Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another poor service rant

DirkThrust

Since Fender re-introduced the Olympic white + tortoiseshell on a PPrecision I've been GASing for one. I finally tracked one down at a well know retailer in Guildford so today I drove 45 miles with £800 burning a hole in my pocket intending to buy it.

Unfortunately when I finally had it in my sweaty mitts, it was absolutely unplayable. The action was a mile high and i don't know what the hell was wrong with the neck but it looked like it had a forward bow at the body end. So a 90 mile round trip for nothing.

I'm amazed that first of all Fender let it leave the factory in that state and secondly that the numptys in the shop either don't bother checking it before putting it out or they just don't care. Judging by the patronising couldn't care less attitude of the shop oik I showed it to I expect it's the latter.

OTOH I was in Fret Music in Southampton on Saturday and played a couple of Precisions there. They were two of the best set up basses I've ever encountered and virtually played themselves. Unfortunately they didn't have the colour I wanted but top marks for unpatronising, helpful staff. I know who'll be getting my business in future.

So does anyone know the whereabouts of a American standard P in Olympic white with a rosewood board?

[quote name='dlloyd' post='133175' date='Feb 3 2008, 06:31 PM']I doubt they did. It will have gone through a fair bit of trauma, leaving the factory, being in storage before making a trip across the atlantic, being put into storage again, before hanging in a dry, centrally heated shop for god-knows how long. It probably just needed a tweak to the truss rod, which should have been spotted by the shop workers.[/quote]

You are probably right. You hear a lot of criticism of Fender's quality control, but I usually make a beeline for the Fenders in an y musicshop and I've always found them to be pretty good

Fret are excellent in Southampton (where I live) I even went into Soundcontrol, because I was bored and tried a Jazz S1 bass, didn't have half the knobs on it!!! And one just went round and round and round and round. Idiots. But yeah Fret are excellent even though its a walk from the train station.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='133337' date='Feb 3 2008, 11:09 PM']may be daft but couldn't bigger shops order exactly what you want? May be a wee wait but it costs them no more than just selling stock they have...?[/quote]

On several occasions in the past I've tried to do just that with my local shop, which is Nevada in Portsmouth, but they always seem unwilling to get anything in specially, so I've always ended up driving halfway across the country to find something.

I'm a big believer in buying locally, not just so it's easy to take it back if something goes wrong but because I like to browse around shops and try stuff and I wouldn't like to see all shops go the way of The Bass Centre, and I'm willing to pay a higher price if I can get it locally, but at the moment I feel like just ordering it from Thomann or Soundslive. At least I won't have to put up with being patronised by spotty herberts who weren't even born when I started playing.

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='133172' date='Feb 3 2008, 06:23 PM']I finally tracked one down at a well know retailer in Guildford[/quote]

Does it begin with 'A' by any chance? :) not the first time i've heard this sort of story, a friend bought a PRS custom guitar from there and had to get it set up somewhere else, very annoying, it took him 5 years to save for that guitar!

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='133398' date='Feb 4 2008, 06:24 AM']On several occasions in the past I've tried to do just that with my local shop, which is Nevada in Portsmouth, but they always seem unwilling to get anything in specially, so I've always ended up driving halfway across the country to find something.

I'm a big believer in buying locally, not just so it's easy to take it back if something goes wrong but because I like to browse around shops and try stuff and I wouldn't like to see all shops go the way of The Bass Centre, and I'm willing to pay a higher price if I can get it locally, but at the moment I feel like just ordering it from Thomann or Soundslive. At least I won't have to put up with being patronised by spotty herberts who weren't even born when I started playing.[/quote]

I've also used Nevada in Portsmouth on occasions and they were my first choice when shopping for my Stingray 5. They were unwilling to order in a particular colour, instead trying to sell me an 'off the shelf' Bongo 4 string...!!!

Bought my SR 5 from The USA, order time to being on my doorstep.... 4 days!!

Paul Martin, are you talking about the "New Fender standard" range by any chance, as they have the olympic white with tort guard that you speak of.

I have to say, the colour choices aren't great. They've dumped the butterscotch one, which i quite liked on a P. But then i guess that's what defines it as part of the previous model/batch.

If a shop guitar isn't set up right, it won't feel right to me and therefore i won't buy it. It's that simple.

Out of interest, have you seen the vid on the Fender site as part of the new fender standard range? It's a bit cheesy ^_^ [url="http://www.fender.com/makehistory/"]see here[/url]

[quote name='woodster' post='133435' date='Feb 4 2008, 09:32 AM']I've also used Nevada in Portsmouth on occasions and they were my first choice when shopping for my Stingray 5. They were unwilling to order in a particular colour, instead trying to sell me an 'off the shelf' Bongo 4 string...!!!

Bought my SR 5 from The USA, order time to being on my doorstep.... 4 days!![/quote]
Poor service = lost business. Why does "Retail" find that so hard to understand? I am a vindictive shopper. I might overlook indifferent service, depends how good my day has been, but if I have bad service I NEVER go back.

[quote name='Tee' post='133439' date='Feb 4 2008, 09:45 AM']Paul Martin, are you talking about the "New Fender standard" range by any chance, as they have the olympic white with tort guard that you speak of.

I have to say, the colour choices aren't great. They've dumped the butterscotch one, which i quite liked on a P. But then i guess that's what defines it as part of the previous model/batch.

If a shop guitar isn't set up right, it won't feel right to me and therefore i won't buy it. It's that simple.

Out of interest, have you seen the vid on the Fender site as part of the new fender standard range? It's a bit cheesy ^_^ [url="http://www.fender.com/makehistory/"]see here[/url][/quote]

Yes the new range that's just come out, without the useless S1 thing. They've re-introduced OW, which made me very pleased. They are still pretty rare over here though, most shops still seem to have the old stock. I'll have a look at that vid when I get home.

[quote name='Bassmouseman' post='133434' date='Feb 4 2008, 09:31 AM']Does it begin with 'A' by any chance? :) not the first time i've heard this sort of story, a friend bought a PRS custom guitar from there and had to get it set up somewhere else, very annoying, it took him 5 years to save for that guitar![/quote]

Ha. I don't know of any other music shops in Guildford :-)

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='133470' date='Feb 4 2008, 10:33 AM']Yes the new range that's just come out, without the useless S1 thing. They've re-introduced OW, which made me very pleased. They are still pretty rare over here though, most shops still seem to have the old stock. I'll have a look at that vid when I get home.[/quote]

I don't see the attraction of the new new American series APART from the OW colour. I think they're pretty much a waste of money, and would prefer to go through the trouble of getting a Jap version in OW which would be cheaper and probably sound and play better as well and much better build quality.

[quote name='E_MaN' post='133488' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:05 AM']I don't see the attraction of the new new American series APART from the OW colour. I think they're pretty much a waste of money, and would prefer to go through the trouble of getting a Jap version in OW which would be cheaper and probably sound and play better as well and much better build quality.[/quote]

Yes the colour is the main reason I want one. I was never too keen on the last lot of Fender colours and I really like the OW tortie combination.

I have considered buying a Jap one but it comes back to the same argument, that I would rather buy from a local or localish shop. Unfortunately it's shops like Andertons that make mail order seem like a good option.

Had a similar thing with my Fender Jazz Deluxe. A mate brought it back from America. I took it straight to get set up.

The truss-rod needed adjusting, on doing so overspray of the varish flaked off from the nut. So I know mine had not been set up before sale. - Shame really.

What a surprise, somebody posted a bad service post about Andertons. I was just coming here to do the same.

I bought a bass from them just before Xmas. A few weeks after Xmas, I had a problem with it, so I took it back to Andertons. The first numpty was not that interested but said it will have to go back to Fender. I should get it back in about 7 - 10 days. OK. not bad, a week or so. He said phone up in a few days to find out the latest. So after a week I phone and they say its with our workshop guy but he's busy, can you phone back. So after 2 weeks I manage to speak to the workshop guy and he says, he's looked at the bass and it has had to go back to Fender UK, who will then send it back to Fender in Holland. Its going to be at least another couple of weeks. I said, this is not acceptable on a brand new bass. He said you can speak to Chris who can help you. So I try to speak to Chris but keep getting his answer phone. I finally speak to him on 5th Feb and he says that the workshop guy has looked at it and it will be sent back to Fender in a few days. WHAT????? I was told it has been sent. This is not aacceptable. Al this Chris guy said was I know you need it back in a hurry and we will try and get it to you as soon as possible. Should be a couple of weeks.

GGGGGRRRRRRR

Not sure what I can really do about it. I am tempted to go in and speak to the manager but knowing my luck, this Chris guy will be the manager :):(:huh:

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='135356' date='Feb 6 2008, 10:48 PM']Yeah that attitude seems familiar. The whole lot of them don't seem to give a toss. I'm with chris_b on something like this. I'm a vindictive shopper too. I'll never set foot in the place again.[/quote]

alway, always vote with your feet i say. If anyone can be blase about taking your money and doesn't care about you the person, then obviously they have too much money and should be left alone to count it. There are people that care, but it seems to no longer be the norm. I had an experience in soundcontrol Bristol recently, which was truly sad. I believe its because they didnt think i was going to spend enough money buy buying my first beginner bass there. Someone here has directed me to a particular person there, but I would still rather spend my money on geeting thereassurance of at least some honesty and genuine back up.
dont even start me on the 'we need your name and address' bit before they accept your money!
bastards
Matt (AB)

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='135495' date='Feb 7 2008, 09:03 AM']Not sure you should condemn a whole shop on the basis of one unhelpful bloke and a badly set-up guitar.[/quote]

OK you carry on not being sure. I'm not going in there again.

Edited by PaulMartin

I've had good and bad experinecs with Andertons. I've been a customer since Charlie Anderton started his original music shop in about 1964 in Stoke Fields. It was the building where the original ACM was located. Always polite and helpful, but that was 44 years ago.

Nowadays when I walk into the store I get the impression that the young whippersnappers they employ can't understand why a 60+ year old is looking at basses, pedals, etc. I tend to be ignored, which is not a bad thing when you're looking but annoying when you want to buy something. I think they could improve the customer service aspects of their business.

On a plus note I recently wanted an EH Black Finger. I did a net search and found they had one in stock but it was more than two other places on-line dealers. I emailed and asked them to price match which they did without quibbling and put it to one side for me until I ddrove over and picked it up later in the day.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='135495' date='Feb 7 2008, 09:03 AM']Not sure you should condemn a whole shop on the basis of one unhelpful bloke and a badly set-up guitar.[/quote]

I stood there for ages picking up basses and trying them, not one member of staff even asked if i knew what i was doing. given the fact that some of these instruments were pretty pricey, thats fairly poor. most of the staff were not busy.
Go figure
I dont think i have attention issues, i just wanted some help with buying my first bass!

you dont think it might be indicative of the training of the shop staff ??

As it happenes the contact i was given was after this event, and was reccomnded by some one here, but you'd have to admit, get crap service , spend somewhere else!

Edited by Absolute-beginner