Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Open mindedness

ARGH

We have to move onward,its NOT about ERBs,just coz I play one of the things...thats NOT what I am getting at,never was. Im saying as it stands the basic instrument,at the level of 'standard',that is going to have to move otherwise,we are going become history...

I see that as physically changing,quite why anyones hostile to this I have no idea,but hey,change hurts.

[quote name='ARGH' post='132675' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:18 PM']We have to move onward,its NOT about ERBs,just coz I play one of the things...thats NOT what I am getting at,never was. Im saying as it stands the basic instrument,at the level of 'standard',that is going to have to move otherwise,we are going become history...

I see that as physically changing,quite why anyones hostile to this I have no idea,but hey,change hurts.[/quote]

We dont HAVE to move onwards at all? If in 50 years time something has replaced the bass guitar then so be it but in many forms of music there will be the need for low end.

Why don't you just let things evolve and not worry about it? You seem to be demanding change when it will either happen or it won't. You are helping that change already by playing what you play. New musicians will play whatever instruments are around at the time and if in 50 years time that is a piano based instrument then so what really?

[quote name='Jase' post='132676' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:21 PM']C'mon ARGH, you know FOUR IS THE LAW!!! :huh:

Only teasing mate, how's that big niner coming on? :)[/quote]

Its Fine ,but thats not what Im getting at,some people are just seeing "Argh thinks 4 strings are crap and dead"and they are wrong...all wrong.

It isnt what Im thinking or saying at all,Im just making the point that theres not much else you can do on the instrument as in its standard form ,apart from make it more versatile and that is the only way really that I see,it continuing to be a valuable instrument in the creation of music.

Of course Bass is going to exist,it just wont look like it does in a centurys time,sorry if this is a bit difficult for teatime.

[quote name='ARGH' post='132680' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:28 PM']Its Fine ,but thats not what Im getting at,some people are just seeing "Argh thinks 4 strings are crap and dead"and they are wrong...all wrong.

It isnt what Im thinking or saying at all,Im just making the point that theres not much else you can do on the instrument as in its standard form ,apart from make it more versatile and that is the only way really that I see,it continuing to be a valuable instrument in the creation of music.

Of course Bass is going to exist,it just wont look like it does in a centurys time,sorry if this is a bit difficult for teatime.[/quote]

Nah, I don't think that of you at all but I still reckon there will be a player who will come about on a 4 string and give us all something to think about, a musician, writer, performer, not just a bass player.....goes back to the bass hero thread :) I sort of agree, there isn't much happening at the moment in the bass world that warrants jaws dropping.

[quote name='Jase' post='132688' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:37 PM']Nah, I don't think that of you at all but I still reckon there will be a player who will come about on a 4 string and give us all something to think about, a musician, writer, performer, not just a bass player.....goes back to the bass hero thread :) I sort of agree, there isn't much happening at the moment in the bass world that warrants jaws dropping.[/quote]

Thankyou. But I reckon he or she will be using a 5 or 6. and have more frets,and different technology fitted into the instrument (lightwave,piezo) ,interchangable parts (fingerboards),setups available at the flick of a switch,a total instrument.

the distinction of Bass and guitar,will cease.

It wont go in my lifetime,but I see it happening,on the fringes,it exists.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='132690' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:41 PM']Thankyou. But I reckon he or she will be using a 5 or 6. and have more frets,and different technology fitted into the instrument (lightwave,piezo) ,interchangable parts (fingerboards),setups available at the flick of a switch,a total instrument.

the distinction of Bass and guitar,will cease.

It wont go in my lifetime,but I see it happening,on the fringes,it exists.[/quote]

There's already that bass which can go from fretted to fretless, wouldn't mind trying one of those actually!

Edited by Jase

[quote]Of course Bass is going to exist,it just wont look like it does in a centurys time,sorry if this is a bit difficult for teatime.[/quote]

[quote post='132690' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:41 PM']I reckon he or she will be using a 5 or 6. and have more frets,and different technology fitted into the instrument (lightwave,piezo) ,interchangable parts (fingerboards),setups available at the flick of a switch,a total instrument.

the distinction of Bass and guitar,will cease.[/quote]
I'm not clear why you think this (although the tech sounds cool! :)), the evidence to date suggests that bass players - and guitar players, for that matter, are for the most part incredibly conservative - quite happy to use an instrument the basic design of which has been unchanged for over 50 years. And I predict (although I doubt I'll be around to see it) that in fifty, a hundred years, Fender P's & J's will still be the most popular basses.

And similarly, musical genres which are as mired in the past as the majority of today's popular forms are, will not require any particular new techniques from the players. Much as I have massive respect for those musicians with the imagination, dexterity & talent to expand the boundaries of the bass as an instrument in its own right - there's little place for them in much contemporary popular (in the broadest marketing sense) music. Such is the nature of the music business, that I imagine it will be more, not less, unimaginative & creatively stifling in the future.

J.

Once knew a guy who said "Guitar groups are on the way out". 1962 it was, or maybe 1963.

Another guy I knew said "There are two kinds of fool. One says [i]this is old, and therefore good[/i]. The other says [i]this is new, and therefore better[/i]."

One hand clapping? Easy.

[quote name='ARGH' post='132684' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:33 PM']I LOVE Bassplaying SOOOO much...but I love music more. I suppose I see the evolution happening in other instruments,and I want us to be part of that.

(Cue mad soothsayer look)[/quote]

Where?

As for as I can tell most classical instruments haven't really changed much in over one hundred years, refinements yes (for example, thinner stronger necks on guitars and basses, I don't suspect violins have changed much nor the piano) but the only real change recently (last 30 years) is the birth of the computer in aiding, improving and imitating other instruments.

Besides all that, aurally you're limited to the range the human ear can percieve.

Techniques and methods are something that all instruments will eventually reach their limit at in time, because like you said, they are limited in their capactity of what's available.

The music you can produce, the combinations of notes, timing, tones and all the other parts that make up a musical item, is only limited by your creativity.

Is this the five minute argument, or the full half hour?!

I understand where ARGH is coming from in a way. I'm on a permanent mission to improve my playing and learn new techniques. But always remember that there will always be a place for the "simple plodder" with the P-bass at the back of the stage as well. I HATE playing classic rock, 60's, etc., but it's where the money is - The baby boomers love it and lap it up (and have all the disposable money!). We have to do it sometimes, otherwise the term "starving musician" would be more commonplace when we're done shoving our heads up our avantgarde arses :)

Oh, and while we're on the subject of ranting, call me anally retentive if you like, but would people pleeeaaase stop calling our much reverred instrument a bloody "GUITAR!!!"

The electric bass was originally conceived as a handily portable alternative to a double bass (with the same tuning, basic technique, etc.) Any similarity in shape to the guitar is purely for convenience.

It's a Bass & quite proudly so :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='132813' date='Feb 2 2008, 10:53 PM']There is not much happening in music not just bass playing.[/quote]

So True.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='132817' date='Feb 2 2008, 11:03 PM']Oh, and while we're on the subject of ranting, call me anally retentive if you like, but would people pleeeaaase stop calling our much reverred instrument a bloody "GUITAR!!!"

The electric bass was originally conceived as a handily portable alternative to a double bass (with the same tuning, basic technique, etc.) Any similarity in shape to the guitar is purely for convenience.

It's a Bass & quite proudly so :)[/quote]

Drives me mad when the word "guitar" is used...bass guitarist...hmmm I can't even play guitar :huh: