Why become a member? ×

My website

Huw Foster

[url="http://www.huwfoster.co.uk/"]http://www.huwfoster.co.uk/[/url]

There's still a little bit to add or change here and there, but I thought it was long overdue. Thoughts? I can take constructive criticism, but please bear in mind my knowledge of HTML is very limited. :)

Looks cool man - having worked with various websites over the last ten years my overriding opinion now is, simple is good. Layout on yours was very nice easy to read etc - if I'm completely honest I wasn't that keen on the second audio track, nothing wrong with your playing, I just thought the song sounded a bit dated - the Jackson stuff and the vids are all very cool though - maybe record something original and new and bang it up there - just my thoughts, but overall great effort and lovely playing.

Mike

Here's a little 2 minute tip...

If you're going to centre align a website - and some page require scrolling and some don't - you get that weird jump when you go from one page that scrolls to ones that don't. That's because of the scrollbar.

Add this to your stylesheet and all pages have a scrollbar - then you don't get the movement...

:root {overflow-y: scroll;}

[quote name='urb' post='1156896' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:05 PM']Looks cool man - having worked with various websites over the last ten years my overriding opinion now is, simple is good. Layout on yours was very nice easy to read etc - if I'm completely honest I wasn't that keen on the second audio track, nothing wrong with your playing, I just thought the song sounded a bit dated - the Jackson stuff and the vids are all very cool though - maybe record something original and new and bang it up there - just my thoughts, but overall great effort and lovely playing.

Mike[/quote]
All valid points about the audio tracks, and yes, I do need to record some new stuff. I might well compose a couple ditties soon, as it's pretty sparse otherwise.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1156923' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:20 PM']Here's a little 2 minute tip...

If you're going to centre align a website - and some page require scrolling and some don't - you get that weird jump when you go from one page that scrolls to ones that don't. That's because of the scrollbar.

Add this to your stylesheet and all pages have a scrollbar - then you don't get the movement...

:root {overflow-y: scroll;}[/quote]

Thanks for the tip - that was bugging me! Any other coding tips greatly appreciated too. :)

Cheers for all the feedback so far! It's been a while since I designed a website (and I use the term loosely). I'll be sure to add more content regularly.

H

By having an unobfuscated email address, you leave yourself somewhat open to spam. Have a look at [url="http://www.fingerlakesbmw.org/main/flobfuscate.php"]this email obfuscator[/url] as one of the ways to change that.

Going straight from the home page to the "About" page caused me a certain mental grinding of gears as the home page is in the first person, whereas the "About" page is in the third person. As the site is specifically dedicated to you, rather than that being a biog in the context of a band, I'd suggest at least considering having the "About" page in the first person.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1157682' date='Mar 11 2011, 09:20 AM']By having an unobfuscated email address, you leave yourself somewhat open to spam. Have a look at [url="http://www.fingerlakesbmw.org/main/flobfuscate.php"]this email obfuscator[/url] as one of the ways to change that.

Going straight from the home page to the "About" page caused me a certain mental grinding of gears as the home page is in the first person, whereas the "About" page is in the third person. As the site is specifically dedicated to you, rather than that being a biog in the context of a band, I'd suggest at least considering having the "About" page in the first person.[/quote]

+1 on the above, keep it consistant. The website is easy to use and very well presented.

However in your Bio please take out the phrase about your violin playing sounding like dying cats!!!!!!!

or have the home page in the 3rd person?

Apparently "welcome" is the worst word to start with on a homepage. I was told that by an SEO "expert" at one of these seminars. I've no idea if it's truly valid.

I think the plectrums at the bottom are very sexy. On the shorter pages, they really complete the layout. I'd be tempted to have them as a bottom "frame" (I know you're not allowed to use frames any more, but there's a way with CSS i'm sure) so that they stay there and you only scroll through the content in the middle.

It's a nice site anyway! I haven't listened to your music as i'm at work.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1157682' date='Mar 11 2011, 09:20 AM']By having an unobfuscated email address, you leave yourself somewhat open to spam. Have a look at [url="http://www.fingerlakesbmw.org/main/flobfuscate.php"]this email obfuscator[/url] as one of the ways to change that.

Going straight from the home page to the "About" page caused me a certain mental grinding of gears as the home page is in the first person, whereas the "About" page is in the third person. As the site is specifically dedicated to you, rather than that being a biog in the context of a band, I'd suggest at least considering having the "About" page in the first person.[/quote]
I've now obfuscated my email address in all links. Cheers for that!

It's interesting that you should point out the first person/third person inconsistency - a lot of musician's websites I researched seem to be mostly in the first person, apart from the biog. Perhaps their biographies are written with press releases in mind? Anyway, I was aware of my narrative change, but not entirely satisfied - all the content is now written in the first person.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1157688' date='Mar 11 2011, 09:26 AM']However in your Bio please take out the phrase about your violin playing sounding like dying cats!!!!!!![/quote]
Aww but I quite like it! Well, if it proves unpopular with more people then I'll consider it - I've added a bit more about my musical education so it doesn't come across as so disparaging.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1157689' date='Mar 11 2011, 09:28 AM']or have the home page in the 3rd person?

Apparently "welcome" is the worst word to start with on a homepage. I was told that by an SEO "expert" at one of these seminars. I've no idea if it's truly valid.

I think the plectrums at the bottom are very sexy. On the shorter pages, they really complete the layout. I'd be tempted to have them as a bottom "frame" (I know you're not allowed to use frames any more, but there's a way with CSS i'm sure) so that they stay there and you only scroll through the content in the middle.[/quote]
I've changed the home page to remove all mention of 'welcomes' and the like. Thanks for the tip.

I would quite like for the plectrums at the bottom to stay in a constant position, regardless of the main body, but I'd rather avoid frames. If anyone knows of any solution to this, please let me know. :)

Thanks for all the feedback! All of it has been useful and insightful. Soon I'll be adding a small section about my gear, possibly underneath the biog. I'm working on photos next, then I'll see if I can fit in a discography somewhere.

It's well designed, clean and without clutter. Also very easy to navigate around.

Only two [i]very[/i] minor things I'd change and they're both words. 'I am a [i]committed[/i]...' it's just me but I always think that someone is just about to be taken away by men in white coats when the word committed is used. And under the Defence track, perhaps replace the word [i]defunct[/i] with[u] previous[/u].

Just minor quibbles but then again I'm a tw@t :)

I shan't be visiting your site again though, as watching your videos simply reminds me how sh!te I am :)

All the best

[quote name='Huwberry' post='1156815' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:32 AM'][url="http://www.huwfoster.co.uk/"]http://www.huwfoster.co.uk/[/url]

There's still a little bit to add or change here and there, but I thought it was long overdue. Thoughts? I can take constructive criticism, but please bear in mind my knowledge of HTML is very limited. :)[/quote]

I think it looks good in all respects except two: the main page caption font is too small (while all the visual elements are large); and in the bio section, I think a reader would want to hear more about your playing experience--specific gigs, bands, recordings-- than about your education. Not knocking the education, of course. Include both, maybe?

Ted

Edited by tedgilley