Why become a member? ×

Band not shaping up

munkonthehill

I just read Walmans thread on his bands rehearsals being productive and I was happy to hear it, however it got me thinking of my band. I wrote this reply however feel as though it may hijak his thread a bit with my own band issues.

My current mob are stagnant at moment. With loads of great excuses (some not even that great) about how they are tired or swamped and didnt get a real good crack at the songs.

Thats all very well but after the 4th month of the current line up as we have had a few different singers and approx 8 months with the rest of us, I would expect more than approx 18 songs in our setlist that most of them arent even giggable yet!!!

Myself, the drummer and one of the guitarists are now on the verge of.......... do we walk and do something ourself or........... take it from this point and state to the band if we aint ready to gig in 2 months then happily walk away.

I think I was spoiled by my first band as it was a pleasure to be a part of a 3 piece that really rocked, no room for short comings and no excuses and nowhere to hide if you didnt learn your part.

Lets face it, not every band makes it out of the rehearsal room.

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1156259' date='Mar 10 2011, 09:27 AM']When one of my bands did this,i booked a major venue for 6 weeks ahead,everyone shaped up,and it was a great debut gig.[/quote]

One of the guitarists (the one not pulling his weight) suggested the same thing. I just dont have any confidence with them at the moment though and possibly down to poor comms in the band I dont think the singer and guitarist are fully aware its their fault (maybe they should audition for the xfactor due to their blissful unawareness hahaha).

We have rehearsals on Friday and I landed a bombshell of 5 songs to get us back on form. ace of spades, walking by myself, superstition, lump and feelin' good (bonamassa). Nothing too taxing however this will now give me the chance to point out any issues.

The crazy thing is that im the one in the band who has been playing for the less amount of time.

Im by no means a monster on bass, however I do learn songs even with a demanding job and a 19month old son needing every moment of my attention (cant fault that as I thrive on it :)) . I arrange rehearsals (with 5 memeber thats a mean feet in its own right), I mainly deal with any issues the band has as it was me that put the band together and its me that seems to be the daddy too that has to keep things in check.

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1156286' date='Mar 10 2011, 09:46 AM']I do learn songs even with a demanding job ............................. I arrange rehearsals (with 5 memeber thats a mean feet in its own right), I mainly deal with any issues the band has as it was me that put the band together and its me that seems to be the daddy too that has to keep things in check.[/quote]

Sounds v. familiar :)

[quote]Get some gigs booked - rehearsing on its own will never get you gig-ready, you need something in the diary to really focus their minds.[/quote]

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1156286' date='Mar 10 2011, 09:46 AM']One of the guitarists (the one not pulling his weight) suggested the same thing. I just dont have any confidence with them at the moment though and possibly down to poor comms in the band I dont think the singer and guitarist are fully aware its their fault[/quote]

I concur that it would be a good idea to book a gig, and see if it sharpens them up.

Be prepared to test this theory to destruction, however. Quite often in these situations you find out that some people don't really want to gig, for whatever reason.

Jennifer

Edited by endorka

[quote name='endorka' post='1156352' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:46 AM']I concur that it would be a good idea to book a gig, and see if it sharpens them up.

Be prepared to test this theory to destruction, however. Quite often in these situations you find out that some people don't really want to gig, for whatever reason.

Jennifer[/quote]

Ah Jen, still giving me lessons, feels like the good old days :) Just a shame im not primarily based in Glasgow any longer :)

In saying that, are you still teaching or are you too busy with the tours and bands?

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1156367' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:55 AM']Ah Jen, still giving me lessons, feels like the good old days :) Just a shame im not primarily based in Glasgow any longer :)

In saying that, are you still teaching or are you too busy with the tours and bands?[/quote]

I am indeed still doing private tuition. Give me a shout if you'd like to sort a lesson out - where are you based these days?

Jennifer

Edited by endorka

I think its about both personal ability, and commitment.

In my previous to last band, it would take at least 6 weeks of rehearsing the same cover before it got to the point where I wasn`t wincing, let alone thinking about performing the song live.

In my last band, two times through a cover, and it was done, as good as we would ever get it.

Its how much you want to make it go well, and whether you`re up to it in the first place.

Edit - I don`t mean to direct that comment to the OP, I mean it in general, it sounds like there are people in the OPs band without either the get up & go, or the ability.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='endorka' post='1156418' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:32 AM']I am indeed still doing private tuition. Give me a shout if you'd like to sort a lesson out - where are you based these days?

Jennifer[/quote]

My main office is still in Glasgow, however due to work loads theres no guarantee where I will be day to day, or even if I will end up in the same district I started in.

[quote name='endorka' post='1156352' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:46 AM']I concur that it would be a good idea to book a gig, and see if it sharpens them up.

Jennifer[/quote]

Wise words!

My new acoustic project has our debut gig in 4 weeks, we're not ready but it is certainly at the forefront of our minds.

I agree with the idea of booking a gig, I also like to record rehearsals (on a digital recorder) then email the resultant mp3's to the other members - I find it very helpful for sorting out what's not right about a song and quickly highlights any weaknesses (usually me!).

A word of caution however, in a previous band this had the effect of causing it to instantly implode.... as there had been a massive reality gap between what some band members thought we were sounding like and what we actually sounded like - the reality was so dispiriting to the worst offenders they couldn't continue - but it did save the public the pain of ever having to listen to us play!

Been in a similar position myself a month ago.

I walked and found myself a band where the bass player had left due to work commitments. Got my first gig with them on Friday. :)

To be honest, if they won't commit now, I can't see what difference booking a gig will do, they will still let you down. IMHO.

[quote name='endorka' post='1156352' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:46 AM']Be prepared to test this theory to destruction, however. Quite often in these situations you find out that some people don't really want to gig, for whatever reason.

Jennifer[/quote]

+1 discovered after several rehearsals it was just the guitarists excuse to get away from the missus and make a loud noise.

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='1156493' date='Mar 10 2011, 12:37 PM']I agree with the idea of booking a gig, I also like to record rehearsals (on a digital recorder) then email the resultant mp3's to the other members - I find it very helpful for sorting out what's not right about a song and quickly highlights any weaknesses (usually me!).[/quote]

I started doing this and then after several months (of not inconsiderable effort) found the singer and guitarist were not listening to them ("I can't stand to listen to myself"). Well neither can we!

Some real wise words going on here folks and thanks to everyone.

We have some vids and recordings. However when I highlighted how bad they were I got blank looks!!!

ignorance is bliss hence why I think they should go onto xfactor. In fairness the audio recordings were a while ago and we are a bit tighter now. However the vids are more recent and they still show the weakness in the band.

I will have to converse with the other 2 who want to start something fresh if the band falls away. Get a general thought on the matter and see how it goes after Frdiays rehearsal (or D-day as it will be called hahaha).

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1156286' date='Mar 10 2011, 09:46 AM']One of the guitarists (the one not pulling his weight) suggested the same thing. I just dont have any confidence with them at the moment though[/quote]

this for me says it all, if you don't have confidence that certain members are not pulling the weight or can perform, ditch them and stick with the ones you think are really up for it.

if its obvious in your own mind that you are being held back by some members, then usually that's actually the case and you'd be wasting your time trying to push them

Jennifer[/quote]

True, I would go with this.

Also, have little meets around a house to thrash out some of the general stuff like chord charts.

We have a problem getting everyone together at any one time so we do a lot without the drummer in these meets.
To be fair to him, he is never cold in the rehearsal..so this saves a lot of time..and money ..

I guess the crux is you need to know what the commitment is..who can afford to commit what and when..and the upshot of that should be that time together is maximised.

Players not being upto it is another thing... so put a time limit on this to achieve something and then walk away with the remants that you want to keep.
We actually booked our 1st gig before the first full rehearsal as the 4 minus a drummer had a evening around a house and just knew it would work..The rest was time and effort but there was never the doubt there in the 1st place once we had that 1st meet.

I knew all the guys prior to that meet anyway ..bar the drummer..so it was just whether we were all on the same page.
We discussed types of song, types of gig and how often per month we would gig..etc etc ..

Edited by JTUK

Brings back memories. One of the first proper bands I was taken on by were weekly rhearsers and had been gigging for a long time on and off. By the time I joined the main band leader had got to the point where he didn't really want to gig any more. Unfortunately he took virtually a full year of knocking a set into shape to then tell me and the rest of the band. A year of rehearsing, one unpaid gig and that was it.
Then more recently I was talked into helping out on a project which seemed to constantly end up rehearsing the same 5 or 6 songs every week despite me trying to nudge things along more productively. The person that put the project together (to get himself back to full band gigging after a 12 year lay off) then came in one day and started a tirade of complaints about me and suggested we would have been gigging weeks ago if they had taken on a different bass player. I was always the first one to get any new material learned properly and found the attitude totally bafling. Quietly packed my gear away and wished him all the best before walking out. The whole project folded within days apparently.
We must all have been through these things. It's just a question of how long before you think it's a lost cause.

As someone who's been here I would defo suggest meeting the band (away from the rehearsal room as guitarists simply can't not play when there's an amp and axe within arms reach) and

1. Let them know what you're thinking
2. Ask anyone if they think they're not up to it or can't commit to it
3. Tell them that excuses will no longer cut it
4. Set some deadlines (i.e set a date and go book a gig for that date)

Communication in bands has suffered since the arrival of emails and you really can't beat a positive but frank face to face discussion. Also people tend to take it more seriously if there is a structured plan in place as there's less room for people to stall. If someone is holding the band back give them the option to sort it out or leave.

I stuck the 5 songs for this Friday as a kinda test to not only get us playing more, however also to see if the commitments there.

I am learning the words as well as the bass parts for the songs, not so I can sing them for the band, but just again to show my commitment and also to point out folk not pulling their weight. This way there can be no excuses.

Thank goodness its only 1 guitarist and not the drummer thats being lazy or I would be very busy this week hahahaha.