Why become a member? ×

The Bass Centre

beeg

I hate to moan very often but feel I must vent my frustration and disappointment with the folks at the legendary Bass Centre (London). I have been going to the shop for about 12 years and have always found them to be helpful and decent chaps. My latest experience with them has soured my feelings towards them greatly.

Before Xmas I took my Ibanez BTB405QM to have the jack socket replaced with a normal 1/4 incher. I enquired how long it would take "a weekish" I wandered off not worried as I had just purchased my overwater and Ibi was now a back up. As it turned out I was unwell for a week or so and couldn't get down there until after xams I assumed the work would have been done. I was about to head into town and thought I would check the shop was open (31st Jan), I phoned, no answer so I though give it till Jan 2nd. Again I was too busy to get down and intended to go into town on the 12th to pick it up. I was phoned by the guitar tech on the Tuesday who asked me what it was I wanted done? This was a month after I had taken the bass in. As it was I said it was fine as I had intended to pick the bass up on Saturday anyway. I was assured it would be ready by Thursday and thought nothing more of it. It was at this point things went very wrong.

I headed into London on the Saturday to find the shop closed down a small note on the window informed me that they still had the workshop open Monday to Friday until 6pm. Not only would I not be picking Ibi up that day but I would now have to try to get into London before 6pm on a weeknight (I am a teacher and cannot take time off).

My real anger is due to the fact that I had spoken to the tech on Tuesday informing him that I intended to pick up the bass Saturday. There is no mention of the fact the shop is no more on the web site and indeed when I told them that this would have helped they replied we didn't want to give anyone the impression that the company had folded. There was no real apology only a weak excuse for not informing me the shop had closed. I live in North London and have finally managed to pick up the bass this week more than a month after I first put it in.

There is no mention on the website that the shop is closed on Saturdays in fact it still informs us that there is free parking on Saturdays which is nice.

I am angry and disappointed with the service I received and I warn anyone that intends to head there for a play with all the nice toys that it is no more you are better off heading to the bass gallery. :)

The Bass Centre is famous for not giving two hoots about bass guitarists. The Bass Gallery is better, Guitar, Amp and Keyboard in Brighton is fantastic in this respect. Mark, who works in the bass department, is always amazingly friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. That's the reason I bought my new Little Mark II from there instead of the Bass Centre, a shop which I'm fairly sure I will never return to.

They had a manager that didn't work Saturdays because his band was busy! :) And not in a friendly way but in a "you're probably just a weekend warrior and I'm on the verge of superstardom kind of way. He needed to get over himself and start giving the "visitors" (cos they weren't "customers") some proper attention and get selling some stock. Manager? He couldn't have managed a good fart after my mum's leftover curry!

Saturday - busiest day of the week, punters wanna do deals, customers need service, stock needs skillfully selling. If he's so busy with his wonderfully successful band a. why does he need the job and b. how shortsighted is the guy employing him?! These folk don't deserve to be in business. It took me about £1500 before I realised this!

Maybe someone ought to start a feedback thread for them!

Edited by Sean

I see you are in London. I strongly recommend a guy called Chris Mcintyre he is brilliant.

Here is his website [url="http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/"]http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/[/url]

What I like best about him is a straight forward set-up is sometimes done while you wait. He is very passionate about his work. He treats everyone with respect.

If you look at his client list you will see it's immpressive. Many times I've been in there and been treated the same as some well known players who were waiting for their set-up too. I wasn't even pushed aside either.

He is also cheap!

[quote name='DylanB' post='132138' date='Feb 1 2008, 07:07 PM']The Bass Centre is famous for not giving two hoots about bass guitarists. The Bass Gallery is better, Guitar, Amp and Keyboard in Brighton is fantastic in this respect. Mark, who works in the bass department, is always amazingly friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. That's the reason I bought my new Little Mark II from there instead of the Bass Centre, a shop which I'm fairly sure I will never return to.[/quote]
i have to agree....... the guys at guitar amp keboard (G.A.K.) in brighton have always been very helpfull to me....good web-site as well [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/"]www.g.a.k.[/url]

[quote name='urb' post='132983' date='Feb 3 2008, 01:07 PM']Two words: Bass Gallery

Go there instead - it's fantastoc.

I gave up on the Bass Centre long ago - to my eyes it seems little more than a Warwick warehouse....

M+1[/quote]Good old fashioned service, great to deal with over the phone or on line..... never met the guys as I live up North.

Personally i think its the staff more than the shops that give the bad service.
Quite a few people, myself included, were going on about how great Dan was at the BC a couple of years ago.
Having Dan there made it worth going to (its only round the corner anyway) and even though the stock could be low he wanted us to get the bass that we wanted not what they wanted to sell us. He was even willing to put new strings on a bass i was trying out, just so i could get a better feel for it. Now, anyone walking in off the street would think they were getting great service from the BC wouldn't they? I stayed way from the BC for ages because of the other guy that worked there (we know who dont we) even though at the time they had what i wanted in stock at a good price. I just couldn't bother speaking to someone who showed no interest in helping me choose and giving me advice. with Dan i looked forward to going in. same shop, different attitude but they got my money.

Ive had very good service from the Gallery (and one hiccup) but Alex is always helpful and not in a pushy way. The only reason i don't use the Gallery at the moment is that they dont take Amex and i do most of my big purchases using that.

I would love to go to Germany and visit Thomanns. Ive used them alot recently and cant get over how helpful they are. Even calling me up to check that i had ordered the right bass (this was after a few emails enquiring about different bass's)

Im not sticking up for any of the shops but once i have been to a shop and experienced good service i would always be willing to go back and give them my business. Pot luck i guess. If the guy serving has a hang over or is in a bad mood and makes me feel uncomfortable i would then go else where.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='136473' date='Feb 8 2008, 12:54 PM']I would say that is what everyone means.[/quote]

Agreed but to lump all the staff, good and bad together and just use the shop name is what im talking about.
Just saying the BC is (was) crap is a bit unfair to the good members of staff they had IMO.

Still, its an old thread and i must admit to not re reading it before posting.