Why become a member? ×

Youtube Journeys

scalpy

I've had a mountain of reports to do today, and after getting distracted by Basschat again, and having read Lo.'s excellent post on Motown listening I tried an experiment. I started with Jackie Wilson's Beautiful Day on youtube, with the aim of reaching any Donnie Hathaway track but only via the suggested videos that come up on the right. I've accidentally discovered all sorts of stuff today, Marvin Gaye I've not heard, Northern Soul, ahem, Barry White, Stylistics, Al Green.

Still no Donnie Hathaway, but then I didn't finish the paperwork so tomorrow looks sorted!

Yes, what a great way of filling time.

I do the same on Spotify - listen to a track, click on the band name that then brings up the top 5 tracks and a (fairly) comprehensive discography. It also suggests similar bands in the top corner - I click on those if I am unfamiliar with them.

[quote name='scalpy' post='1150999' date='Mar 5 2011, 10:26 PM']I've had a mountain of reports to do today, and after getting distracted by Basschat again, and having read Lo.'s excellent post on Motown listening I tried an experiment. I started with Jackie Wilson's Beautiful Day on youtube, with the aim of reaching any Donnie Hathaway track but only via the suggested videos that come up on the right. I've accidentally discovered all sorts of stuff today, Marvin Gaye I've not heard, Northern Soul, ahem, Barry White, Stylistics, Al Green.

Still no Donnie Hathaway, but then I didn't finish the paperwork so tomorrow looks sorted![/quote]

Yes, its great fun, you can find some very interesting stuff. Recently went on a bit of a doom stoner journey toward the more non-metallic post rock end (not something I would normally listen to but..) & found some great stuff, Om & Boris particularly floated my boat. Also started with the Stooges, went forward & backwards by picking influenced by & influence taken from. Did a early heavy one too, Iron butterfly, blue cheer, Black Oak Arkansas etc & found the James Gang with a pre-eagles Joe Walsh on guitar, ace!
Cheers,
Norm.

Yup, I also frequently do the same on wikipedia, have ended up learning about some very random topics. The last thread started withlooking up an album, and ended with [url="http://www.bigbaobab.co.za/"][b]a pub that's inside a tree[/b][/url] (complete with dartboard).