Why become a member? ×

Hofner Verithin 500/7 Bass Ltd Edition

Cat Burrito

In quite an unusual departure from my usual Fenders I ordered a Hofner Verithin Bass from my local shop. At £550 it was as cheap as the best online price so I took the plunge & collected it today.

These don't seem to be talked about much. When it comes to Hofners it seems to be the Beatle Bass that gets all the attention with the Club bass a distant second. My initial thoughts were it looked amazing. Nice & light. The block inlays are amazing & no photo does them justice. It's short scale but doesn't feel like it is, perhaps due to the body size. In pictures the tuners look a bit substandard but in reality are sturdy and look the business. It actually feels and looks very vintage in a much more genuine way than a lot of other reissues.

I had it restrung with flats. Plugging it in it immediately smacks of the 60s. Two volumes & two tones, one for each pickup. When I played with a pick (I'm mainly fingers) I was immediately transported back to 1967! I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of tonal variation. I can't wait to use it properly, be it live or recording.

Only downside, no case & Hofner don't do one yet.

• 3 weeks later...

What flats did you string her up with?
Although the neck is shortscale, the tailpiece looks much smaller than on the original 60s Verithins,
meaning you can probably use a longer string (medium or even full length?)

Any thoughts on how this Verythin reissue compares with Epiphone Rivoli reissue (or the harder-to-find Guild Starfire 90s reissue)?
To me it looks nicer and more unusual, but I've not heard the Hofner in action yet.
A plus with the Chinese Hofners is it's straightforward to upgrade most of the fittings to full german hofner spec if desired
(the pups already are german of course).

Finally you mention no case is available.
I wonder if it's worth trying out an Epi Jack Casady case for size? Or one of the Ibanez semi-bass cases?

Hofner are supposed to be doing a case which is due March '11...so it'll come at some point I'm sure. I'll hang on, I have an acoustic bass case it fits in for now. I strung with Rotosound normal flats. As you say with the tailpiece being so far back it wasn't an issue.

I've never played an Epiphone Rivoli but had I not bought this I'd have been interested in trying with a view to buying

how does the sound compare with the better known Violin or Club hofner basses?

does the VeryThin have that deep thump of the true hollows, or is it a very different flavour?

as you can probably tell, I'm thinking of buying one

but being housebound at the moment, I can't really try before I buy, hence my questions

I always liked the 60s originals, and to the eye at least the reissues capture some of that;
but how about to the ears?

I've never played a Club bass but you may find an answer here [url="http://www.hofner.co.uk/index.php"]http://www.hofner.co.uk/index.php[/url]

It's very Hofner sounding & there is a lot of tonal variation across the available settings. I don't think you'd be disappointed. It surpassed my expectations. I don't normally play with a pick but it sounds very 60s with a pick

• 5 weeks later...

was on the verge of buying one of the new CS verythin basses on Burrito's advice,
when I came across a vintage Hofner 500/6 bass on ebay Italy (don't ask),
and went for that instead

looks quite like the Verythin, except body is unbound, and very unusually for
Hofner, actually has a bolt-on neck

sounds absolutely lovely (if you like the Macca hofner sound or double-basses),
and is by far the most characterful and idiosyncratic bass in my stable

despite the very old-school features (floating bridge etc), tuning and intonation are fine

particularly nice with Pyramid strings

thanks to a very kind bass-chatter I've also now managed to get hold of a spare bolt-on Hofner neck

Good evening, all
Here's the Verythin Bass case...
[url="http://www.thomann.de/fr/hoefner_h64_22_bass_case_verythin_bass.htm"]Verythin Bass case (no photo, Th****n, Germany[/url]
... I have an original, nylon Rotosounds, in a Kramer case. Very 'thumpy'...
[attachment=78385:Front_Ve...hin_Smal.jpg]

Edited by Dad3353

• 2 months later...