Why become a member? ×

Let's buy an 1x18!!

algmusic

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='1146077' date='Mar 1 2011, 05:17 PM']....Get a 410 to go with your brand new 18" speaker?? :)[/quote]

I wanna 418 now . . . Can I get that? ohh and a 4k head so the sound engineer can hear me from inside the booth & he won't need to DI me then :)

[quote name='algmusic' post='1146537' date='Mar 1 2011, 10:43 PM']I'm pretty the guy on the vid hasn't heard of the word neodymium[/quote]

Isn't it what they make replacement hip joints out of for the poor suckers who buy 1x18s to go with their 4x10s..? :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1146646' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:45 AM']Isn't it what they make replacement hip joints out of for the poor suckers who buy 1x18s to go with their 4x10s..? :)[/quote]

someone with a speaker fetish and also who is deaf.. Be careful I just might buy one, you'll never know what I'll do :)

At last some sense!

It is all about the 418 in the modern world! With 4, 5 and 6 string electric and acoustic basses being used by many players, is there really a solution to properly support the modern bassist?! No?? Well think again!! Portable and articulate, the new 418 removes the thunder from your bass tone. One easy load in or out and youre away! Of course, for some nicely defined highs, why not add a 410 for the perfectly balanced bass rig!

Expert village - cause todays bassists are so darn unpredictable!

[quote name='Quoth'd' post='1146552' date='Mar 1 2011, 10:56 PM']I wanna 418 now . . . Can I get that? ohh and a 4k head so the sound engineer can hear me from inside the booth & he won't need to DI me then :)[/quote]

Mines part of a Peavey fridge, also home to a couple of 10s and a family of large spiders (BW pun aside - they are really large spiders). If I had some gardening gloves and a fork-lift truck I'd use it all the time. The 18 sounds magnificent with a 410. Go figure. I'm with you, wildly inaccurate sales guy! :)

It sounds to me as if what he is talking about is providing a bass set-up for a rehearsal studio, rather than a rig for an individual. His comments about not knowing what bassists are gonna do almost makes sense then. Hired gear tends to get a pretty hard time, so I guess having the 18 gives a slightly more 'robust' rig in case of detuned metal mania... particularly if you are only going to but cheap to mid-range speaker cabinets (as shown in the choice of the Ashdown MAG410).

So maybe he is only talking partial garbage?

I can quite understand your reactions with the benefit of progress in the speaker department. I'd just like to mention that I used to cart an 18" Goodmans about when I doubled on [i]double bass[/i] and bass guitar. I made the cabinet to Goodmans designs and it was at least twice the size of the cab in the video. Funny thing was I carried it into gigs no prob - but I was a lot younger then of course. At the time I thought it made a great sound but with the benefit of hindsight it was probably crap. Those were the days.

[quote name='Conan' post='1146767' date='Mar 2 2011, 09:26 AM']It sounds to me as if what he is talking about is providing a bass set-up for a rehearsal studio, rather than a rig for an individual. His comments about not knowing what bassists are gonna do almost makes sense then. Hired gear tends to get a pretty hard time, so I guess having the 18 gives a slightly more 'robust' rig in case of detuned metal mania... particularly if you are only going to but cheap to mid-range speaker cabinets (as shown in the choice of the Ashdown MAG410).

So maybe he is only talking partial garbage?[/quote]

The MAG 410 would be fine even with the MAG amp up full..

Rehearsal studios gear are another beef of mine.. It's simple, check the gear before and after rehearsal and any damages will be paid for by the band... People who abuse gear will soon learn..

It's funny in the top rehearsal places the gear is always fine

Just to be awkward and offer an alternative opinion here I actually sought out and bought an 18" cabinet a few months ago (Trace Elliot) as nothing came close to the sound I heard (and felt) when I hired one at a rehearsal studio. I love it. Weighs a ton, do I care? No? Is it 'fashionable?' No. Will people point and stare? I doubt it. Well, not unless they are Basschatters. But it makes the walls rumble and for my good old fashioned heavy rock covers band it is just the ticket.

And I am 53 with a bad back - not because of this new cab, I hasten to add.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1147352' date='Mar 2 2011, 05:01 PM']Just to be awkward and offer an alternative opinion here I actually sought out and bought an 18" cabinet a few months ago (Trace Elliot) as nothing came close to the sound I heard (and felt) when I hired one at a rehearsal studio. I love it. Weighs a ton, do I care? No? Is it 'fashionable?' No. Will people point and stare? I doubt it. Well, not unless they are Basschatters. But it makes the walls rumble and for my good old fashioned heavy rock covers band it is just the ticket.

And I am 53 with a bad back - not because of this new cab, I hasten to add.[/quote]

Good for you.. I'd have an 8x10 on my gigs if I could deal with the stress. But after using those light cabs day in day out.. it's a no brainier for me..

One of my freinds has a couple of big cabs that look like giant black chest freezers with a couple of 18s in each, but I'm pretty sure if you made a cab the same size & filled it with the equvalent amount of any other diamiter of driver, it would put out the same level of sub frequencies.
I'd rather pit 8 10" neo drivers than 2 18" ceramic lumps.

Neo...what...ium?
Nothing wrong with big, "old-school" cabs.
Just screw some reasonable-sized castors into the side and [i]wheel[/i] it/them around!
On stage, just flip it onto its feet and stack'em up. Iquite fancy another cab. Either another 4x10 (1048h) so I can run 2 4x10s or maybe a bigger 1x15 than my current one (1153). Wouldn't mind a try of a Trace 1818 either. Good thing about the trend in lightweight gear is that older cabs like these can be had for as little as £100..

I wonder what'll come next in terms of cabinet design/construction?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1147554' date='Mar 2 2011, 07:27 PM']Neo...what...ium?
Nothing wrong with big, "old-school" cabs.
Just screw some reasonable-sized castors into the side and [i]wheel[/i] it/them around!
On stage, just flip it onto its feet and stack'em up. Iquite fancy another cab. Either another 4x10 (1048h) so I can run 2 4x10s or maybe a bigger 1x15 than my current one (1153). Wouldn't mind a try of a Trace 1818 either. Good thing about the trend in lightweight gear is that older cabs like these can be had for as little as £100..

I wonder what'll come next in terms of cabinet design/construction?[/quote]
Neodiyuminum!

Problem with casters, they don't like steps. But if you don't mind the weight, then there is some great bargains to be had. :)
I've hurt my back a few times (despite being careful & learning how to lift properly) so prefer light gear.

Next design for speakers? What about those NXT speakers? It was called distributed mode & had very little fade & was a flat panel speaker. Downside was they had a crap bass response.
I'm sure I also heard somewhere that these are directional in respect of "if you step ouside where it's aimed at, you hear nothing"? I don't believe that tho!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1146379' date='Mar 1 2011, 08:36 PM']I'm trying to work out if they're taking the mick or if they should have their vids submitted to FailBlog.
The Mrs was saying that their cooking & baking videos are equally as laughable, with folk who clearly don't know what a kitchen actually is. :)[/quote]

I agree it must be a spoof very subtle humour!!

Pah! You kids with your 10" speakers and lightweight cabs.....

I've got a nice old school Acoustic 2x15 and its very easy to cart about and sounds great...so good, I'm about to build a replica with 2 400w drivers so I can use the pair of them!

I can only imagine an 18 would sound better....I want to try one at some point!

I'm 48 and my back is still ok..... my ears are shot though!

[quote name='algmusic' post='1156575' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:26 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-Bass-Cab-1-x18-2x10-/320665383717?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item4aa9257325#ht_500wt_1156"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-Bass-Cab-1-x1...5#ht_500wt_1156[/url]

:-)[/quote]

That one is no good! It only comes with two 10" speakers! We all know you need four of them to pair with the 18" for a good sounding bass thunder!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1156798' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:24 PM']That one is no good! It only comes with two 10" speakers! We all know you need four of them to pair with the 18" for a good sounding bass thunder![/quote]

It's actually hilarious that the handling is only 200w and 400w peak... It's the extra 2x10 missing..