Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Shuker to courier or not to courier?

burno70

Jon has almost given birth to my new Shuker 4 string.

Absolutely can't wait to get my hands on it. It will be ready a week saturday.

Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to pick it up for a further 2 weeks after that as I will be busy on those two weekends and can't take any time off mid week.

I could arrange a courier but I'm worried that the set up may not be perfect for me. What if it needs a little tweaking? I'd hate to have to take it back because of slight fret buzz - everyone picks/plucks at different strenghs after all. I'm not particularly heavy handed but do like to dig in occaisionally.

Has anyone any experience of this? What are his basses like "straight out of the box?"

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure how accurately you can convey a set up though without trying a bass first. Every bass will have tiny differences in string tension and neck tension etc and these will impact the set up.

Saying that, I don't think I will leave it to a courier service. I'll just have to find a way to get down there and try it out!

thanks for the advise.

[quote name='burno70' post='130757' date='Jan 30 2008, 04:04 PM']Has anyone any experience of this? What are his basses like "straight out of the box?"[/quote]

I've never had a bass from Jon, but I've had other instruments hand-made to my specification. Consider this.

You've clearly put a lot of thought and money into getting Jon to build something that's unmistakeably yours. It's more than just something off the shelf, and will probably be something you'll play every day and cherish.

Why not wait a few days until you can enjoy the experience of picking it up in person, talking to Jon about it, maybe getting anything sorted that needs sorting. That'll give you a special day that you'll always remember, that will make the bass even more special and personal. You aren't going to have too many days like that. Make the most of it.

[quote name='pete.young' post='138499' date='Feb 11 2008, 09:54 PM']I've never had a bass from Jon, but I've had other instruments hand-made to my specification. Consider this.

You've clearly put a lot of thought and money into getting Jon to build something that's unmistakeably yours. It's more than just something off the shelf, and will probably be something you'll play every day and cherish.

Why not wait a few days until you can enjoy the experience of picking it up in person, talking to Jon about it, maybe getting anything sorted that needs sorting. That'll give you a special day that you'll always remember, that will make the bass even more special and personal. You aren't going to have too many days like that. Make the most of it.[/quote]

A geat big +1. Couldn't have put it any better.

[quote name='pete.young' post='138499' date='Feb 11 2008, 09:54 PM']I've never had a bass from Jon, but I've had other instruments hand-made to my specification. Consider this.

Why not wait a few days until you can enjoy the experience of picking it up in person, talking to Jon about it, maybe getting anything sorted that needs sorting. That'll give you a special day that you'll always remember, that will make the bass even more special and personal. You aren't going to have too many days like that. Make the most of it.[/quote]

+ a huge 1
Going and getting it is a very big part of the custom bass experience.

and couriers ... hummmmmmm