Why become a member? ×

Anybody Ordered Stuff FromThomanns?

Hobbayne

[quote name='daz' post='1138897' date='Feb 23 2011, 05:32 PM']Parcel farce lied and said id twice not been in when they called, even though my package was delivered to my parents house who are pensioners and never go out and a dog that barks the house down if the gate so much as squeeks. They then said it'd been sent back down south to their depot, instead of leaving it in the north west. I dont belive that my parcel even came near my home town. They could have also left it with either neighbours if it needed a signature. I firmly belive that if a driver only has a few parcels left and its getting near days end, that they just drive on straight home and fiddle the paperwork. Why the bosses dont just check the tachograph i'll never know. Or maybe i do know. They dont want bad stuff happening on their watch, so they just back the drivers who seem to be about 50% lying scumbags.[/quote]

They didnt even bother to ask my neighbours they just chucked [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121934&hl=haimesy""]this[/url] over my back garden fence last Friday when I was at work!!
Lucky Haimesy double boxed it.

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1139013' date='Feb 23 2011, 07:01 PM']They didnt even bother to ask my neighbours they just chucked [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121934&hl=haimesy""]this[/url] over my back garden fence last Friday when I was at work!!
Lucky Haimesy double boxed it.[/quote]
What was it? The link gives few clues.

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1137267' date='Feb 22 2011, 04:22 PM']I dont believe it!! :) I,ve just checked the tracking number and they say that I have refused delivery! apparently they tried to deliver it last wednesday morning at 8am and I refused it!! :) No card through the letter box nothing!!!
Bloody Parcelfarce!! I,ll have to go and pick it up now from their sodding depot!! :lol:[/quote]

One wednesday am I hear something being put through my letter box. No bell, nothing. A few mins later I go to check and I find a note from ParcelFarce, dated *monday* saying they attempted delivery but i wasn't home, so they'd try again *wednesday*. The cheek!

But UKmail is by far the worst around here. In addition, their "local" depot is 25 miles away.
I've already *twice* called them to make sure they keep my parcel there so that i collect in person, to save me hassle... and get there to find they took my parcel out anyway.

:D

Hate them with a passion. (Parcelforce, not Thomanns)

Had one parcel dropped off in the library(!?!) which meant I couldn't get at the damn thing for a week since they're always shut when I'm home (obviously... I have a job). :)

My boss even had a guitar left at the local butchers. :)

Then there's the number of times I caught the buggers (on my days off) pushing a card through the door when they haven't even bothered to knock (or in some cases, they haven't brought the damn parcel with them from the depo!)

Edited by Eight

Thomann have been prompt and efficient when I've ordered from them (twice). I do get junk mail from them, about every 3 months.

Parcelforce: usual thing, it depends on the person (IMO a symptom of bad management). The guy who delivers to my workplace is excellent. The guy who delivers to my home, not so much (but not completely useless, to give him his due).

Sounds like it's definately the courier's fault, and not Thomann, only heard good things about that site from people I know personally. I've only ever had one experience with dv247, and i wasn't impressed. Many of the items stated as in stock were not actually in stock, and I was told they would get back to me once a month with an update on if the items were in stock yet. I waited 1 month, and not a single one of the three items had come into stock. I requested a refund, and received that within 2 days. So that's one good thing I guess :) Then I purchased better versions of all three for cheaper prices either elsewhere, or on here! awesome :)

Another good thing about Thomann I didn't really take much notice of till I needed it is they give a 3-year warranty on everything, regardless of what the manufacturer provides. So when our Mackie speaker packed up 2 months outside the standard 1-yr warranty, Thomann organised UPS to collect it and take it back to Germany, had it repaired and sent it back. About 3 weeks round trip.

I guess you're just unlucky if you get Parcelfarce, I would think that only happens if they use the Bundespost at their end for lower value things. They probably assume our postal service operates with the same teutonic efficiency. Might be an idea for anyone who has trouble with delivery to let Thomann know, I guess they'd stop using that route if there were a few complaints.

If i order in stock items before end of monday i always receive the goods before the weekend.
Great service and have used them many times.

I would never knowingly order anything to go to my home address if PF are involved. Ive had no end of items not delivered on time, even though ive been in ive not had a knock or even a card. Their local driver is too bloody lazy to walk up 3 floors to knock on my door (this is from experience).

Edited by dave_bass5

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread but i just wanted to post about Thomanns CS.

We brought a LED light off them end of Jan this year. It cost £45 inc postage. It seems to have developed a fault so i emailed them yesterday to see what can be done. As its outside the 30 days send it back period we were going to weigh up the pros and cons of having to send it to Germany.
I got a email this morning form Thomanns saying they are trying out a new returns system and would i like to participate in it. The email also contained a PDF with a prepaid label and all i need to do is pack it up and take it to the post office.

I must say thats pretty good service. I think the total postage (both ways, twice) must come close to the cost of the light.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1179344' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:10 PM']I know this is an old thread but i just wanted to post about Thomanns CS.

We brought a LED light off them end of Jan this year. It cost £45 inc postage. It seems to have developed a fault so i emailed them yesterday to see what can be done. As its outside the 30 days send it back period we were going to weigh up the pros and cons of having to send it to Germany.
I got a email this morning form Thomanns saying they are trying out a new returns system and would i like to participate in it. The email also contained a PDF with a prepaid label and all i need to do is pack it up and take it to the post office.

I must say thats pretty good service. I think the total postage (both ways, twice) must come close to the cost of the light.[/quote]

Gotta say, if Thomann were to open up a UK operation and keep those sort of standards up then there'd be a lot of very worried UK online retailers trying to raise their game...

[quote name='icastle' post='1179396' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:56 PM']Gotta say, if Thomann were to open up a UK operation and keep those sort of standards up then there'd be a lot of very worried UK online retailers trying to raise their game...[/quote]

There was a thread on here discussing this. Apparently Thomann's were doing this but ive not heard any news on it yet. This must have been at least a year or so ago 9probably longer) so it probably didn't happen.

EDIT: Here it is
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21773&hl=thomann"]Thomann's in the UK thread[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

I've ordered a few bits off Thomann, they've always been good service but I refuse to use them any more because I don't feel what they do is right.

Basically they're a distributor for europe, so the prices they can offer are below most UK retailers because they pay far less than retailers do. I know it's business etc, but it's not fair on UK retailers that they get undercut so badly and they'd be forced to make a loss to compete. The problem is that they have such a part of the market (because of the prices) that manufacturers can't afford to not sell to them because they're bringing so much business.

Think about the whole "Buy locally instead of buying cheaply online" argument, then make it 10x stronger. Some UK retailers are struggling because they're being undercut by this store which is probably making more profit per item than if a UK shop sold it at their usual price, never mind after they've been bartered down a bit.

Of course it does come down to money and Thomann do offer stuff cheaply with good service, I still think it's immoral though.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1179448' date='Mar 28 2011, 01:29 PM']I've ordered a few bits off Thomann, they've always been good service but I refuse to use them any more because I don't feel what they do is right.[/quote]

Obviously price comes into the buying decision, but the thing that really makes them stand out for me is that with the thousands of orders a day that they must process, they seem to have a consistantly good level of customer service.
Compare that to an online store in the UK who process a few dozen orders a day and can't manage to do that...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1179407' date='Mar 28 2011, 01:02 PM']There was a thread on here discussing this. Apparently Thomann's were doing this but ive not heard any news on it yet. This must have been at least a year or so ago 9probably longer) so it probably didn't happen.

EDIT: Here it is
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21773&hl=thomann"]Thomann's in the UK thread[/url][/quote]

I'd be wary of opening up a European distribution centre on an island if it was my business... :)

Their tracking system showed that the longest part of the three day journey my parcel took from Germany to my doorstep was once it had reached the UK!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1179344' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:10 PM']I know this is an old thread but i just wanted to post about Thomanns CS.

I must say thats pretty good service. I think the total postage (both ways, twice) must come close to the cost of the light.[/quote]

[quote name='icastle' post='1179396' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:56 PM']Gotta say, if Thomann were to open up a UK operation and keep those sort of standards up then there'd be a lot of very worried UK online retailers trying to raise their game...[/quote]

you really can't argue with that level of Customer Service, I would hope that there are already a lot of worried UK online retailers that are worried, and continue to be.

[quote name='icastle' post='1179458' date='Mar 28 2011, 01:35 PM']Obviously price comes into the buying decision, but the thing that really makes them stand out for me is that with the thousands of orders a day that they must process, they seem to have a consistantly good level of customer service.
Compare that to an online store in the UK who process a few dozen orders a day and can't manage to do that...[/quote]

+1

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1179448' date='Mar 28 2011, 01:29 PM']so the prices they can offer are below most UK retailers because they pay far less than retailers do. I know it's business etc, but it's not fair on UK retailers that they get undercut so badly and they'd be forced to make a loss to compete. The problem is that they have such a part of the market (because of the prices) that manufacturers can't afford to not sell to them because they're bringing so much business.[/quote]

I dont think they are that much cheaper any more. In the past they were but judging by a few basses ive looked at in the past few weeks Thomanns have been dearer than,say, Soundslive.

I'm not sure Thomann would be able to open a UK shop and keep the prices the same. Not sure how it all works, but if they did that they'd definitely be stepping on UK distributors toes.

About customer service, I agree, but as I said, they're making more money per instrument than UK retailers. They're buying in stock for the same price as a distributor (as that's what they are) then selling it for just below shop prices. Since they're making so much, they can afford to have more staff and a more efficient system taking care of orders.

Their prices have gone up some because they get moaned at by manufacturers who get moaned at by UK dists. It's fair though.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1179560' date='Mar 28 2011, 02:40 PM']Their prices have gone up some because they get moaned at by manufacturers who get moaned at by UK dists. It's fair though.[/quote]

I remember when they first started advertising over here, there was uproar but i felt it gave our market a kick up the backside. No longer were we held to ransom by over priced music stores.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1179564' date='Mar 28 2011, 02:44 PM']I remember when they first started advertising over here, there was uproar but i felt it gave our market a kick up the backside. No longer were we held to ransom by over priced music stores.[/quote]

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. If you look at the RRP on most basses, retailers sell them MASSIVELY discounted. There's not a lot of profit to be made on expensive instruments, I was pretty shocked at how little margin there is when I was looking through a distributor's catalogue recently.