Why become a member? ×

flatwound for everything

lojo

No shortage of highs with my 5+ year old TI flats. Part of the answer is your speaker setup, Barefaced Big one with 6.5" doing the mid/highs. If anything too revealing of finger tapping, string click from damping/stopping etc. The big plus is virtually zero fretwear, unlike roto 66s on my 58 EB2 when I owned it - extreme fretwear was an understatement. TIs on Kramer and G&L just cut through in the bands I play in. The downside is the purchase price, the upside is the cost per year.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' post='1136308' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:18 PM']No shortage of highs with my 5+ year old TI flats. Part of the answer is your speaker setup, Barefaced Big one with 6.5" doing the mid/highs. If anything too revealing of finger tapping, string click from damping/stopping etc. The big plus is virtually zero fretwear, unlike roto 66s on my 58 EB2 when I owned it - extreme fretwear was an understatement. TIs on Kramer and G&L just cut through in the bands I play in. The downside is the purchase price, the upside is the cost per year.[/quote]
The speaker set up might sometimes matter but I used TI flats with two Ashdown 1x15 cabs for about three years without any lack of mids and highs.

[quote name='witterth' post='1136337' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:34 PM']Sorry to wazz on this parade....I effin' hate flats!!!
sound crepe to me! am I alone?
oh......

I'll get me coat........[/quote]

No you're not alone, I don't like them either but I am polite and would never diss someone else's choice. However my approach to a mellower darker sound takes roots in the complete opposite direction, I only play round strings so how do I achieve that dark tone and mellow sound? I use my Mark Bass VLE Filter (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) cranked all the way to the right, and it works very well for me.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1136355' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:48 PM']... I only play round strings so how do I achieve that dark tone and mellow sound? I use my Mark Bass VLE Filter (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) cranked all the way to the right, and it works very well for me.[/quote]
When I had a Markbass I used the VLE at 12 o'clock with my flats.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1136293' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:13 PM']I'm surprised at your TI flats story. I've always found them to sit well in the mix.[/quote]

So was I. I really, really wanted to get on with them as they felt lovely and sounded great solo but I just seemed to spend more time fiddleing with my EQ at gigs and rehearsals than I did playing. Having said that, I've changed my live rig setup so I might tgive the TIs another go and see what happens.

[quote name='tedgilley' post='1136627' date='Feb 22 2011, 01:20 AM']I just put half-rounds on my Squier 77 Jazz and love them; very smooth feeling and flattish sound, but with a bit of brightness. D'addario. Dialing up the bridge PU makes a nice difference.[/quote]

Did you just say you own a Squier 77? I thought the earliest Squiers came out in 1982

[quote][i][center]The Squier Story
A detailed history of the name and the instruments[/center]
Fender acquired U.S. guitar string manufacturer the V.C. Squier Company in 1965; [b]by 1982 the Squier name had resurfaced as a low-cost “value brand” [/b]alternative initially manufactured and distributed in the Japanese domestic market and soon offered to Europe, North America and the rest of the world....[/i][/quote]

[quote name='lojo' post='1135593' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:16 PM']....Im really digging flat strings right now, and whilst most of the stuff I play suits it, the odd songs dotted in the sets really rely on the bright sustain of round strings....[/quote]
No they don't! I wouldn't use a JJ Burnell sound if my covers band wanted to do a Stranglers number. So just get "your" sound and play everything sounding like you.

Listen to JJ playing Walk On By. He doesn't care about the sound of Dion Warwick's original recording; he just plays it like "him".

You just have to do the same!

I switched to flats several days ago, don't really remember the name, but I think I should have payed some more moneys :). I really miss the brightness, but not the squeaking. My question to you guys is, whether there are any flatwounds that can compete with roundwounds for brightness, or if I need to find my old strings in [url="http://www.bikester.co.uk"][color="#000000"]the cycle bin[/color][/url].

Edited by menolikeslap

[quote name='chris_b' post='1136891' date='Feb 22 2011, 11:26 AM']No they don't! I wouldn't use a JJ Burnell sound if my covers band wanted to do a Stranglers number. So just get "your" sound and play everything sounding like you.

Listen to JJ playing Walk On By. He doesn't care about the sound of Dion Warwick's original recording; he just plays it like "him".

You just have to do the same![/quote]

Strangely I posted a walk on by JJ link the other day in a JJ thread, i've always thought it is a perfect example of doing a cover your own way

I know what you are saying, and in some situations covering a song and doing it differently is what is called for, and thats fun

Personally I love flats and songs that sound right with them, but I do enjoy trying to mirror what is on the record (I mean CD, MP3 :) ) and that has mean torn between flats and rounds

Getting both sounds out of one bass would be ideal for me, just not sure I can achieve it

[quote name='menolikeslap' post='1136994' date='Feb 22 2011, 12:46 PM']My question to you guys is, whether there are any flatwounds that can compete with roundwounds for brightness.[/quote]

I find Chromes can get close to worn nickel's for brightness but still find they lack the fullness of rounds.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='lojo' post='1137014' date='Feb 22 2011, 01:00 PM']....Getting both sounds out of one bass would be ideal for me, just not sure I can achieve it....[/quote]
I think that rounds get closer to flats than the other way around. But it sounds like you need 2 basses!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1136891' date='Feb 22 2011, 11:26 AM']No they don't! I wouldn't use a JJ Burnell sound if my covers band wanted to do a Stranglers number. So just get "your" sound and play everything sounding like you.

You just have to do the same![/quote]

Agree with the sentiment of you sound like you sound. I wouldn't change anything. I may give it a nod but wouldn't drive myself mad over it.

When you are doing covers, I just go for the feel and essence of the track or we spin it ourselves.

Re flats, they can do a job and sound more than decent with a technique like slapping ..it just will not sound like rounds.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1136864' date='Feb 22 2011, 06:08 AM']Did you just say you own a Squier 77? I thought the earliest Squiers came out in 1982[/quote]

Sorry, ddin't mean to confuse. It's a new Squier vintage modified '77 jazz bass. I usually drop most of the name! (And the conversation has passed me by ... I am quite a few time zones away.)

tg

Edited by tedgilley

[quote name='menolikeslap' post='1136994' date='Feb 22 2011, 12:46 PM']My question to you guys is, whether there are any flatwounds that can compete with roundwounds for brightness.[/quote]

Answer = GHS Brite Flats:

Also available in other guages :)

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='Clarky' post='1135600' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:19 AM']IME, D'Addario Chrome flats are bright and can be slapped (not that I slap) for a fair while before they dull down - much more so that TIs or the very thuddy Pyramids. They still have the nice slipperiness of flats though[/quote]

+1 to the D'Addario Chromes - love the feel and the tone I can get is very versatile - am going to soon get another set to replace the rounds I have on my P right now - I had some on before, but switched them to my VM Jaguar - now I want them on both! :)

Cheers!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1138470' date='Feb 23 2011, 12:52 PM']OK, I'll ask; what's the point of bright flats?

How long before they just sound like flat flats?[/quote]

Id guess brightness , without the sustain of rounds, or brightness with the feel of flats (and they feel nice :) )

Just a guess

[quote name='chris_b' post='1138470' date='Feb 23 2011, 12:52 PM']OK, I'll ask; what's the point of bright flats?

How long before they just sound like flat flats?[/quote]
They are differently constructed.

GHS Brite Flats are roundwound but ground down to be flat on the outside:
[quote]Ground Roundwound Alloy 52 is very kind to your frets and easy on the fingers. The wrap wire is built up with multiple layers and then micro-ground to exact gauge and smoothness. The perfect sound for all your bass brilliance. GHS has made the highest quality strings since 1964. The choice of numerous bass greats.[/quote]
Whereas GHS Precision Flats (like most flats) are wound with flat tape:
[quote]GHS Stainless Steel Precision Flatwound Electric Bass Strings deliver traditional deep percussive tone due to a unique cross-winding process. The final wrap is a polished stainless steel flat wire.[/quote]

So, I presume, if you were after the brighter sound but the flat feel you would use Brite Flats and change them when you felt it was necessary. On the other hand, you could use normally constructed flats and never change them.

Edited by EssentialTension

Just ordered my first set of flats to try on my "Ric". Theoretically not the obvious string choice, but I did jam with a trad rock n roll band a few months ago and loved the sound and feel of them as a punter and guest player.

I figure I can always use the bridge pup on the ric and/or tweek the tweeters on my berg AE12's if I need some more zing. Looking forward to having a dabble

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1136355' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:48 PM']No you're not alone, I don't like them either but I am polite and would never diss someone else's choice. However my approach to a mellower darker sound takes roots in the complete opposite direction, I only play round strings so how do I achieve that dark tone and mellow sound? I use my Mark Bass VLE Filter (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) cranked all the way to the right, and it works very well for me.[/quote]
Don't take me TOO seriously,
MR Wazz,
yours politely
Witterth

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1145142' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:19 PM']Just ordered my first set of flats to try on my "Ric". Theoretically not the obvious string choice, but I did jam with a trad rock n roll band a few months ago and loved the sound and feel of them as a punter and guest player.

I figure I can always use the bridge pup on the ric and/or tweek the tweeters on my berg AE12's if I need some more zing. Looking forward to having a dabble[/quote]
Even Rickenbackers had flats originally. McCartney had flats on his Rick.