Why become a member? ×

My band's new website

bassfunk

Hi Guys

I'm pretty excited today as my band Supersession have just launched our new website. We're a wedding/function band and we're just getting started so any hints or tips from some of you 'old' pros would be greatly appreciated. the url is [url="http://supersession.co.uk/"]http://supersession.co.uk/[/url]. We've spent a lot of time and effort getting to this stage.

We have a Twitter feed at the bottom of each page and I was thinking of putting something like 'special offer £*** flat rate for any function within Greater Mancchester' but I'm not sure if putting prices up is a good idea? will it scare potential clients away? People always seemed to be shocked when they find out how much a band costs. But I know when I was getting married I found it refreshing to be able to see a price up front on a website without having to email for a quote etc.

Thanks Guys

Pete

[quote name='neilb' post='1134736' date='Feb 20 2011, 07:59 PM']Sorry, got to the pic of the two birds and lost all interest in the band.............

Will try again.[/quote]

Ha they are very talented :) I was expecting a couple of replies about them. unfortunately one of them is angaged and the other likes drummers!

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1134721' date='Feb 20 2011, 07:50 PM']I found it refreshing to be able to see a price up front on a website without having to email for a quote etc.[/quote]
* Displaying a price removes one of the reasons for people to contact you. Nice for them, bad for you. You'll never know they were interested.

* Some chancy little Herbert's still going to try to work you down from your quoted price, however sensible it may be.

* You can't close the punter down by using the old "OK, let's say we do it for £XXX - can we call that a deal?" without going below your stated price.

* A flat rate removes your wiggle room if someone's got some specific but inconvenient requirement - "The bride's got terrible conjunctivitis so the room has to be completely dark at all times".

If you feel you [i]really [/i]should show a price, maybe build in a small price loading to allow for discounts.

Edited by skankdelvar

Thanks for the comments guys (especially Burrito bass' comment about my beard, maybe I should start a whole new topic about my facial hair or even bass plaers with facial hair?) :) . I hadn't thought about the fact that clients might not want others to know how much they've spent on their wedding, and I suppose people having to contact us about costs is a good way to guage if people are looking at our website.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1134814' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:07 PM']Its great. I really like it in fact its given me some ideas so thanks. Just tell me you were balancing that bass on something soft.[/quote]

Thanks BottomE No unfortunately the bass was just resting on the floor. I must have gotten caried away with 'glamour' fo the photoshoot.

It's clean with no splash page, already you're in the top 10% :)

Good pictures on the first page.

Easy to find music though I could only get the 3rd song to play.

I also agree with the no prices on the website. It scares away the people who wanted to pay less and it also scares away the people who wanted to pay more. The last part may seem non intuitive but when someone wants to spend 5k on a band they don't want one cheaper. Most people still equate price with quality and you don't want to be dismissed for being lower quality/price than what they are searching for.

In bargaining for a price always try to get the client to tell you their budget first. It's amazing how many times they will tell you a figure well above what you'd ever ask for.

Edited by Vibrating G String

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1134874' date='Feb 20 2011, 10:09 PM']I'm wondering if having 2 good looking girls is a plus for a wedding band? How many brides want that competition? Brides maids dresses are ugly for a reason.[/quote]
Excellent point, Sir, given that - afaik - The Bride's Mother oft-times has a say in matters of entertainment.

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1134721' date='Feb 20 2011, 07:50 PM']Hi Guys

I'm pretty excited today as my band Supersession have just launched our new website. We're a wedding/function band and we're just getting started so any hints or tips from some of you 'old' pros would be greatly appreciated. the url is [url="http://supersession.co.uk/"]http://supersession.co.uk/[/url]. We've spent a lot of time and effort getting to this stage.

We have a Twitter feed at the bottom of each page and I was thinking of putting something like 'special offer £*** flat rate for any function within Greater Mancchester' but I'm not sure if putting prices up is a good idea? will it scare potential clients away? People always seemed to be shocked when they find out how much a band costs. But I know when I was getting married I found it refreshing to be able to see a price up front on a website without having to email for a quote etc.

Thanks Guys

Pete[/quote]

Looks great, pisses all over my bands website :)

I think the only 2 bits that i don't like/would personally change.

The order of the band members, I'd always put the singers first on it. Seems to make more sense than your current layout.

The other is the black & white pictures on the home page. They all look like its YOUR band and everyone else are your band. If it were me, i'd make full use of the twins? and put them as the centre of the attention, as appose to a guy holding a bass. But thats just me :)

The sites great though.

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1134993' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:39 AM']I think the only 2 bits that i don't like/would personally change.

The order of the band members, I'd always put the singers first on it. Seems to make more sense than your current layout.

The other is the black & white pictures on the home page. They all look like its YOUR band and everyone else are your band. If it were me, i'd make full use of the twins? and put them as the centre of the attention, as appose to a guy holding a bass. But thats just me :)

The sites great though.[/quote]

Thanks for your comments J.R Bass. It does look a bit like it's my band doesn't it? The funny thing is I didn't select the photos we used or choose the order of the musicians on the band page. The singers did that, maybe that says something about my leadership skills :)

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1134993' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:39 AM']I think the only 2 bits that i don't like/would personally change.

The sites great though.[/quote]
This is almost to a word what I though too.
Nobody but us lot cares about the bass player.

• 1 year later...

'Funky music for the soul'
Then I look down the 'favourite songs' list and I see that perennial soul classic that is...

All Right Now :D

Seriously, it looks a good layout on the whole. I don't know if it has been changed since some of the original comments came out but when I looked the musicians order now has singers at the top which is as it should be. For the time being the way that the focus can be shifted on to the twins in the photos is just re order how those band shots come around so that the one of the girls always comes up first. They are a big selling point really.

Edited by KevB

Really nice looking website, and fits the purpose well...

Interestingly I ended up also clicking on another bands website today, and the content of the FAQ seems almost identical! Coincedence?

[url="http://www.phonicseason.co.uk/#/faq/4558313339"]http://www.phonicseason.co.uk/#/faq/4558313339[/url]

You decide :D lol.

This Topic seems to have had a bit of a revival!

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1340973503' post='1712269']
No one ever misses a slice from a cut loaf.

Cool website though.
[/quote]

Thanks

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1340976608' post='1712329']
'Funky music for the soul'
Then I look down the 'favourite songs' list and I see that perennial soul classic that is...

All Right Now :D

Seriously, it looks a good layout on the whole. I don't know if it has been changed since some of the original comments came out but when I looked the musicians order now has singers at the top which is as it should be. For the time being the way that the focus can be shifted on to the twins in the photos is just re order how those band shots come around so that the one of the girls always comes up first. They are a big selling point really.
[/quote]

Yeah it has had a bit of a redesign since then, we're also thinking of having a complete overhaul to add some video and live shots too. You're right they're not all funk and soul, but somehow when we play them they are :lol: we also play Foo Fighters Times Like These which is really fun to do in between some wedding classics!

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1340981407' post='1712418']
Really nice looking website, and fits the purpose well...

Interestingly I ended up also clicking on another bands website today, and the content of the FAQ seems almost identical! Coincedence?

[url="http://www.phonicseason.co.uk/#/faq/4558313339"]http://www.phonicsea.../faq/4558313339[/url]

You decide :D lol.
[/quote]

Interestingly enough I was going to mention this to Jake next time I see him ;) At least I had the decency to steal bits from several websites!

Thanks for the comments guys, if anybody wants a website designing PM me and I'll send you our guys details.

Thanks

Pete