Why become a member? ×

S-1 Switch

neptunehealer

I am aware the new Jazz Fenders won't use this function, so i am intrigued to know was it all a waste of time.
With them not including it in the new range suggests to me it was a bad experiment and would anyone agree.
Just i am in the market for a Fender Jazz at the minute and have never used the S-1 switch so i guess my question is would you rather have the switch or not have it?

I know what you mean when questioning the lack of bottom end on a jazz... Or is it just plain output? I'm seriously falling out with my Geddy Lee in this respect. I love the sound of the bass in isolation, but in a band situation it just lacks any balls. Compared to my active basses (Status, Warwick, Yamaha, etc) I have to increase the input stage by 25% & the bass frequency by about 10%. The jazz just ends up sounding harsh to me.

Rob Green at Status has offered to rout out some cavities in it & make it active with T-Bass electronics & I'm sorely tempted :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='130181' date='Jan 29 2008, 05:44 PM']The S-1 switch is the DUMBEST thing Fender have done in the last few years.[/quote]

Agree for the Precision.

Have to disagree on the Jazz. The S1 gives the jazz a slightly fatter, rounder sound which sits really well in the mix. It gives a passive jazz some balls.

Personally, if I was buying a Jazz, the question of the S1 switch would not make much difference for me. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.

I got one on my Jazz and originally it worked a charm and it was great! However after about a month the bloody thing broke and it took fender two onths to fix it and get it back to me. Complete with new wear and tear courtesy of them. Since it was fixed it just seems to loose punch and volume when i engage the switch so i just leave it alone. But the Bass soudns great anyway, so i don't mind, im just glad both pickups work now!

Rich

I think series/parallel selection is most worthwhile when the coils the switch works on sense all 4 strings, as opposed to split coil halves as in a P pickup.

on my warmoth P, I put a double J humbucker at the bridge, and the series/single/parallel switch on this
gives a huge variation in tone. (series is fat, single snappy, parallel is scooped)

Edited by SJA

[quote name='simon1964' post='130183' date='Jan 29 2008, 05:57 PM']Agree for the Precision.

Have to disagree on the Jazz. The S1 gives the jazz a slightly fatter, rounder sound which sits really well in the mix. It gives a passive jazz some balls.

Personally, if I was buying a Jazz, the question of the S1 switch would not make much difference for me. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.[/quote]

Guess which I play.?

Have to agree with ARGH, the S1 switch is, was, always will be a complete waste of time. Glad it's gone, I have mini protests and demos on my jazz where I refuse to use the neck pick up at all :) Wouldn't mind trying the new Jazz out.....as soon as they get rid of those Hipshots and replace them with the classic machine head, the big old chunky ones or the vintage reverse. They'll be adding locking nuts, fine tuning, more switches, stupid cutaways before we know it, all the stuff that simply shouldn't be on a Jazz or Precision.

Everyone on Talkbass seems to hate the S1 switch even on Jazzes, and have been indicating their content with Fender not reissuing it.

Personally, whilst I think it's a waste of time on a P, I felt it really transformed the Jazzes into very versatile instruments. It's a shame they aren't keeping it up - I would definately have one on my jazz.

[quote name='Mike' post='130360' date='Jan 29 2008, 11:16 PM']Everyone on Talkbass seems to hate the S1 switch even on Jazzes, and have been indicating their content with Fender not reissuing it.

Personally, whilst I think it's a waste of time on a P, I felt it really transformed the Jazzes into very versatile instruments. It's a shame they aren't keeping it up - I would definately have one on my jazz.[/quote]

So in my case where our cover band plays james brown, chili peppers, some funk/disco and some rock like arctic monkeys, wouldit be best to suggest that i would require a jazz bass with the s1 switch to add more bottom end on the rock songs, but then i also have the option to switch it off for funk and disco?

Or as i have read reports of the s1 going faulty etc would i be ablke to get away with just having a fender jazz without the s1 switch as i am scared to death of losing bottom end?

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='130635' date='Jan 30 2008, 01:17 PM']So in my case where our cover band plays james brown, chili peppers, some funk/disco and some rock like arctic monkeys, wouldit be best to suggest that i would require a jazz bass with the s1 switch to add more bottom end on the rock songs, but then i also have the option to switch it off for funk and disco?

Or as i have read reports of the s1 going faulty etc would i be ablke to get away with just having a fender jazz without the s1 switch as i am scared to death of losing bottom end?[/quote]

It's all down to taste really, some of players hate them some players love them, I wouldn't focus so much on the S1, you'll be fine with or without it :) Isn't Flea using an early 60's Jazz at the moment, that pink one? check it out see if he's modified it. I reckon you'll get plenty of low end either way, besides the S1 switch isn't instant bass balls.

[quote name='Mike' post='130360' date='Jan 29 2008, 11:16 PM']Everyone on Talkbass seems to hate the S1 switch even on Jazzes, and have been indicating their content with Fender not reissuing it.

Personally, whilst I think it's a waste of time on a P, I felt it really transformed the Jazzes into very versatile instruments. It's a shame they aren't keeping it up - I would definately have one on my jazz.[/quote]

It's easily done without having to drill any new holes - just replace one of the pots with one incorporating a push-pull DPDT switch. You can always restore the original pot if you don't like it, or want to sell it on.

I have never had any problem getting a thuddy sound from a Jazz! :)

I have played one since 1994, I have always played rock on it.

I'm getting a USA Fender Jazz (with this S-1 switch) this week, so I'll have to get back as whether the band moans about my (extra) low end thud at the next practice.......

Or is it just my amp is too loud!!!!!!!!!!

David H

[quote name='Leowasright' post='130897' date='Jan 30 2008, 07:21 PM']I have never had any problem getting a thuddy sound from a Jazz! :)

I have played one since 1994, I have always played rock on it.

I'm getting a USA Fender Jazz (with this S-1 switch) this week, so I'll have to get back as whether the band moans about my (extra) low end thud at the next practice.......

Or is it just my amp is too loud!!!!!!!!!!

David H[/quote]

Ahh lucky you, i may be following suit if you give me positive feedback from it. If you could tell me about what you think of the new bass in the way of sound, action and weight that would be cool as i am at the buying stage.
Also i have seen a japanese fender jazz but no switch but it has a badass II bridge. So have you ever had any troubles with the usa standard bridge? and is the jap bass worth getting purely for the badass II bridge?

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='130929' date='Jan 30 2008, 08:22 PM']Ahh lucky you, i may be following suit if you give me positive feedback from it. If you could tell me about what you think of the new bass in the way of sound, action and weight that would be cool as i am at the buying stage.
Also i have seen a japanese fender jazz but no switch but it has a badass II bridge. So have you ever had any troubles with the usa standard bridge? and is the jap bass worth getting purely for the badass II bridge?[/quote]

I won't get it until at least tomorrow, and the only amp I have is in the band's rehearsal room....Which means it won't get amplified until Saturday.

I'm actually not expecting playability to be vastly better than the Jap Squire to be honest.

they ( the non bassists) will probably moan I'm too load, and make me disconnect a speaker again!

I guess the USA bridge is much like the one on my Squier Silver series. Never worried too much about saddle wobble before now, so probably won't worry about it on the new bass. :)