Why become a member? ×

Learning To Read - Possible within 12 months?

Linus27

I am considering learning to read music for bass parts. OK, naturally the answer is going to be based on everyones own ability, but generally, do you think its possible to learn to do it within 12 months to a standard that will allow you to read most parts from sight?

[quote name='Linus27' post='1128073' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:31 AM']I am considering learning to read music for bass parts. OK, naturally the answer is going to be based on everyones own ability, but generally, do you think its possible to learn to do it within 12 months to a standard that will allow you to read most parts from sight?[/quote]
Short answer - Yes. Just be prepared to work at it. Don't fall into the trap of "Oh, that's close enough, it's only Bass" when what you really mean is "It's not as easy as I thought, I'll have to spend a bit more time at it" :)

Yes it is.
If you want to do it well in a short space of time it would be useful to get a teacher because they will point out mistakes that you may let slide,and you will need to read alot. Start out simply and then start to progress to harder stuff.
Also,nothing will kick your arse more than being in a situation where you have to read and get it right,because if you don't you get sacked.

I started about 3 weeks ago and would say it is easily possible in 12 months given the correct level of effort. I practice reading for around 30 - 60 minutes most days and have seen definite progress in that 3 weeks. The fingers are already falling on the notes without much thought.
Can now sight read a lot of material at a slow tempo (40bpm) although getting to grips with keys is the hardest part for me, especially the keys with lots of sharps or flats and tracks with changes in them.

I am finding it a much more enjoyable way to learn pieces (always used tab before but now look out for notation only) and it gives a more 'musician' feeling to the process. Well, whatever makes me feel better...

There is more to reading music than just "reading music".

You have to read the notes, the rhythm of the notes and then express the feeling of the music you're reading. You have to perfect your fluency and all the other parts of your technique so you can easily get around the fretboard in all keys.

It’s like learning another language so start simple and practice a lot. Professional guidance is probably a must if you want to do this within 12 months. Still, it's a good skill to have. Good luck.

You will certainly get to the point where you could read well enough to cover most reading gigs. There will be some passages that would still catch you out but these would be few and far between and your ears will help you cover most of those passages. It will be fun.

"From sight" sort of has two meanings....

1. To be able to play it from sheet music in a recognisable form on the first attempt..

2. To play it at performance standard on the first attempt..

And of course this is different being able to read music..

So in terms of what could probably be achieved in 12 months I would say yes to 1 and probably not to 2....

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Linus27' post='1128073' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:31 AM']I am considering learning to read music for bass parts. OK, naturally the answer is going to be based on everyones own ability, but generally, do you think its possible to learn to do it within 12 months to a standard that will allow you to read most parts from sight?[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

Reading music isn't anywhere near as hard as what most folk seem to think. A good teacher, like Doddy says, will help.

Try getting a manuscript, music book (such as any band score book or bass score for any album) or a bass mag with score in it as these usually give you a section dedicated to what the notes on the scale are & what the time length of written notes & rests are along with other details on how to read. these come in handy for the time before you get a teacher organised & also a handy quick reference to reading.

Heres a handy link called [url="http://readsheetmusic.info/readingmusic.shtml"]Read Sheet Music.[/url]

[quote name='kerley' post='1128245' date='Feb 15 2011, 12:39 PM']I would also think you need to quantify the 12 months. Quite a bit of difference between 4 hours a day for 12 months and 2 hours per week for 12 months.

What amount of time would you realistically being putting into it over the 12 months?[/quote]

When I get focused on something then I really dedicate as much time as possible to it. I imagine at first its going to be slow and I will get tired quickly so possibly an hour a night at first. and then expanding for longer after that. It won't be every night but some nights will be longer than an hour I would guess.

Yes definitely possible for a normal job reading- backing for an "artiste" or group- but dont think it is possible for -like a pit job on a stage show- takes a bit more experience methinks. You will be nearly there though- I can read a bit but certainly not up to a high standard- had 6 months lessons- 30 mins per week and practiced say 1 hr a day. Could easily have played in a resident band etc though had got lots of experience by that time with a good song knowledge- base.

Dont really use the skill too much and feel as though when I pick up a score I am getting up to speed and nowhere near as good as I was- but hey- only so many hours in the day.

I'd say its very easy. Be prepared to get bogged down a bit at times but if you put the effort in and resist the urge to throw the bass at the wall you'll do it in no time. Music is just like any other language, the more you use it the easier it gets.

There is a new DVD out by the great drummer Pat Petrillo,called 'How to Read Rhythms Better'. It's purely rhythmic but it goes from
the very basics up to more complex patterns. It's really good as everything is explained really clearly and demonstrated with on screen
notation and with a PDF e-book of all the examples.
I like it because rhythms are the downfall of many players-there are only a certain number of notes after all.

I'm right at the beginning too Linus and have my first lesson next week! And it's with a certain person in this thread :lol: he may of bitten off more than he can chew this time :) I'm going to put in as much time as possible but a hour every night won't be possible as I have other musical commitments although I will try and score that bands stuff and incorporate the two (the second guitarist is a classical teacher and makes his own chart to play from anyway so we will look like real musicians :))

There is already a bass clef YTS thread Linus to tell us about your progress there are a few of us dropping in there from time to time and there is a link to the bass clef wizard tool online which is very addictive you have been warned!

It really depends on whether you want to simply read music in order to learn a set/songs or whether you want to go into bands that sight read regularly eg cruise ship bands or pit work. If you want to sight read then it will probably take a bit longer because there is a big difference between reading when the stakes are low and reading when you are there, onstage in the moment. You also (in a proper sight reading situation) have the conductor to deal with... learning to play with a baton is another element to the skill.
The hardest thing about reading for bass is the fact that if you make a mistake EVERYBODY hears it.

I have had a regular gig for the last 10 years that has not required reading so I really have to work hard to keep my reading up and am currently doing at least a couple of hours 4-5 days a week, reading everything I can get my hands on, I have really felt it paying off.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Doddy' post='1128732' date='Feb 15 2011, 06:55 PM']I like it because rhythms are the downfall of many players-there are only a certain number of notes after all.[/quote]

I'm gonna try this. Thanks. :)

Starting to read a few months back, I found Rufus Reed's book great. He begins with a big section on reading rhythms with open strings. I found it very helpful, as it separates the reading rhythms job out from everything else. Before, I was trying to learn too many new things at once.

On the OP's question, I don't know whether the time scale is realistic or not, but I do know that the effort is very well worthwhile. Thoroughly satisfying business.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='1128935' date='Feb 15 2011, 09:31 PM']I'm gonna try this. Thanks. :)

Starting to read ab few months back, I found Rufus Reed's book a great place to start. He begins with a big section on reading rhythms with open strings. I found it very helpful, as [b]it separates the reading rhythms job out from everything else. Before, I was trying to learn too many new[/b] things at once.[/quote]
This is an important point

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1128753' date='Feb 15 2011, 07:11 PM']I'm right at the beginning too Linus and have my first lesson next week! And it's with a certain person in this thread :lol: he may of bitten off more than he can chew this time :) I'm going to put in as much time as possible but a hour every night won't be possible as I have other musical commitments although I will try and score that bands stuff and incorporate the two (the second guitarist is a classical teacher and makes his own chart to play from anyway so we will look like real musicians :))

There is already a bass clef YTS thread Linus to tell us about your progress there are a few of us dropping in there from time to time and there is a link to the bass clef wizard tool online which is very addictive you have been warned![/quote]

I just did that bass clef wizard test. It came back saying I am a Bass Cleff Apprentice and my average time was 2.12 second per note. To be honest, I am quite impressed I was that good. Just above average grade.

Oh no the addiction will kick in soon :)
You have to crack 1.00 secs to get the top grade which took me about a week or two of playing it when I had a few minutes spare but it worked as I can get about 1.30 secs within one or two goes then down to just over a second even after weeks of not trying so I think I have the notes fairly well sorted at least good enough for working something out. I need work on the note lengths and rythms etc next. Next weeks lesson will either bring me on loads or make me give up!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1129032' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:42 PM']Oh no the addiction will kick in soon :)
You have to crack 1.00 secs to get the top grade which took me about a week or two of playing it when I had a few minutes spare but it worked as I can get about 1.30 secs within one or two goes then down to just over a second even after weeks of not trying so I think I have the notes fairly well sorted at least good enough for working something out. I need work on the note lengths and rythms etc next. Next weeks lesson will either bring me on loads or make me give up![/quote]

It is quite addictive. I found that some notes I just knew what they were and others it was a case of working out using either the D or low G as a reference point and counting up from there :) Its good though and enjoying it.