Why become a member? ×

Learning To Read - Possible within 12 months?

Linus27

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1128887' date='Feb 15 2011, 08:48 PM']It really depends on whether you want to simply read music in order to learn a set/songs or whether you want to go into bands that sight read regularly eg cruise ship bands or pit work. If you want to sight read then it will probably take a bit longer because there is a big difference between reading when the stakes are low and reading when you are there, onstage in the moment. You also (in a proper sight reading situation) have the conductor to deal with... learning to play with a baton is another element to the skill.
[b] The hardest thing about reading for bass is the fact that if you make a mistake EVERYBODY hears it.[/b][/quote]

Yup - the chord changes, and you have made it your own inversion, or diversion..... :)

I think there are two types of reading.
1] In the living room etc, at your own pace and no pressure.
2] In the real world in a working situation, looking ahead for time/key changes [presuming you are reading on the spot] signs and codas, DS etc,
watching the moves of conductors or MD's, listening to the other players so as to keep it tight - and still trying to make this all into a Musical performance.

Number one can be achieved in a year i should think [ like others have said - a teacher is a great idea].
Number two takes longer, assuming you have not been sacked a few a times and have not thrown in the towel.
None the less its an interesting journey and a very good lesson in discipline and strict concentration.
Have fun.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1129056' date='Feb 15 2011, 11:03 PM']That's it keep going. I have all sorts of little methods now, if you get plenty of D's your still onto a winner. Lol
F lines up with the pips in the clef and I have only had E on a lower ledger line yet C and D comes up on higher ledger lines quite a bit, Obviosly not a five string fan :)[/quote]

I want to get to the point whereI see the space or line the note is on and I know instantly what the note is like I am doing with some already like the low G, D and high C. I just need to keep at it and get it locked into my head.

See how technical I am Paul? :) I have been brushing up my reading skills for next week, I'm on page three of the first book, Really! Oh well and after what I was saying about being to busy playing to learn to read yet another band has rang me today (as I used as example linked to another act I play with) offering me a position in their originals band with a view to a bit of function covers too, Obviously whilst still technically in three bands, Learning to read, Being married, Work and my love of classic car fettling I said, YES! :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='1129073' date='Feb 15 2011, 11:16 PM']I want to get to the point whereI see the space or line the note is on and I know instantly what the note is like I am doing with some already like the low G, D and high C. I just need to keep at it and get it locked into my head.[/quote]
TBH Linus I can't get any faster than around 1 sec because I can't click fast enough with the mouse, I know which one I want way before I can find and click. Can you type? As you can punch them in with the keys, I was going to spend a year learning to type properly just so I could do the Clef game faster :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1129307' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:07 AM']That's my prob with the Bassclef YTS. Mouse isn't fast enough :)

Here's a thought, why when they're talking about rhythm do they always use A on the treble clef?[/quote]

I think it's about convenience. I always write it in the second space which ever clef I use-no particular reason though.