Why become a member? ×

Neck thru Or Bolt-on

neptunehealer

I am just interested to hear what you all prefer, as i am actively seeking a new bass at the moment and i can't decide which i prefer.
This older more experienced bassist told me in a shop to purchase a thru-neck as it prevents the neck moving which made me think he had a valid point.
All my favourite Jazz basses seem to be bolt-ons so i am assuming that as long as you have a hard case and take good care of the bass the neck should always be fine.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='129216' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:34 PM']I am just interested to hear what you all prefer, as i am actively seeking a new bass at the moment and i can't decide which i prefer.
This older more experienced bassist told me in a shop to purchase a thru-neck as it prevents the neck moving which made me think he had a valid point.
All my favourite Jazz basses seem to be bolt-ons so i am assuming that as long as you have a hard case and take good care of the bass the neck should always be fine.[/quote]

I've got both at the moment, I've just bought a new Status S2 6er bolt on, if I'd have opted for a thru neck it would have cost about £400 more, a cost I could not justify.
People will argue that a thru will give a better tone, maybe it will, but is the extra cost worth it.
I also have a Status S2 5er thru, and the new 6er is just as good.
I think that you are right in that if you look after them in a good case, a bolt on neck bass will give few problems.

In my opion what the guy said isn't the big decision about the type of neck you get. With a neck through what you get is a more resonant sound from the notes and a different feel, what I think is for the best. Its also easier I feel to get a cleaner bass sound and through necks seem to be very versatile. However bolt-ons are great and give a really modern sound and are also versatile.

One thing to consider though is that through-necks do seem to cost more for something decent due to construction.

I had a Scechter Stiletto Elite 4 through-neck and I wish I never sold it now as it was beautiful - bought it new for £500 which presented great value, however finding one in the UK now is harder since soundcontrol (ugh, I know) stopped inporting them.

Edited by E_MaN

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='129216' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:34 PM']This older more experienced bassist told me in a shop to purchase a thru-neck as it prevents the neck moving[/quote]
That's utter b0llocks. Only very badly made bolt ons will move.
I have both types and my preference is for bolt-ons as I like to shim the neck to get the set-up I like which is low action with very little relief, but the strings quite high near the bridge, I can never get a set/thru neck set up as well as my trusty bolt-ons. Others might prefer what they hear as better sustain of a neck-thru or more punch of a bolt-on, but I'm not really convinced that there is a major difference in sound.

another thing, if a bolt-on neck gets damaged, bows/twists badly beyond repair etc, you can easily remove it and fit a replacement.

re. tone, bolt-ons tend to be snappier, more woody sounding, as the body is freer to vibrate and colour the tone,
and neck throughs have more sustain and fundamental in the tone, and metallic brightness from the string.

although it will all vary depending on the combination of woods used, weight of the body etc.
(my Hohner B2A is neck-thru, but is very light, so sounds more like a bolt-on)

Edited by SJA

When I was having my first GB made I asked Bernie about neck thru vs bolt on (he does offer the Spitfire in both) and he said about £500. Thats the only difference. Its not quite true and we both knew that. Neck thru gives you better access to the dusty end but as for sound other aspects of construction (like the nature of the bolt on) and choice of woods make far more difference.

Its funny that people are now making the same claims for singlecuts as used to be made for thru necks.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='129491' date='Jan 28 2008, 06:44 PM']Its funny that people are now making the same claims for singlecuts as used to be made for thru necks.[/quote]

lolz... yes, indeed! Daft.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='129768' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:42 AM']Bolt neck, with threaded inserts and machine screws, gotta be the way, can do them up as tight as you like without stripping, anf you can adjust the action and everything.[/quote]
I've often wondered why more manufacturers don't do this

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='129768' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:42 AM']Bolt neck, with threaded inserts and machine screws, gotta be the way, can do them up as tight as you like without stripping, anf you can adjust the action and everything.[/quote]
Thats how my GB necks bolt on, and probably Shuker/Sei/RM/AC etc. Probably not Fender.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='129216' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:34 PM']I am just interested to hear what you all prefer, as i am actively seeking a new bass at the moment and i can't decide which i prefer.
All my favourite Jazz basses seem to be bolt-ons so i am assuming that as long as you have a hard case and take good care of the bass the neck should always be fine.[/quote]

ALL necks move,be it noticeable or not.

I shouldnt dramatically cost more/less to make a boltneck vs thruneck...if it does,question this..the labour time is pretty much the same.

Edited by ARGH

My project basses are all notlobs [1] but my playing basses are all neck-through - I do prefer neck-throughs but not for any terribly rational reason. I do venture up to the dusty end fairly frequently and neck-throughs tend to give better access, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I wish I'd kept my notlob Steinberger XZ-25 because I could do with a headless 5-string for microstages (I prefer a headless bass not to be bodyless too, having had an XZ-25, a B2, and a Westone Quantum).

[1] Obligatory Monty Python reference

Billy Sheehan was describing his Attitude bass at a clinic I saw a few years ago.

His explanation for the bolt-on neck was that if you damage a neck on tour in say, the Far East, "they" can send you a replacement neck by airmail, and you can swop it yourself in minutes.

Speaking personally, I've never had chance to test Billy's theory, having never damaged a bass neck, toured in the Far East, or had a "they" with a collection of spare necks. Could be relevant to the poster of this topic though!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='130927' date='Jan 30 2008, 08:18 PM']My Warwick thumb is neck thru, my jazz is bolt on, my Alembic is neck thru, the Alembic is hugely more resonant than both the other two but I love the sound of all three for individual reasons.[/quote]
Thats cos it is one of the best basses you can buy - f*** all to do with the neck joint.

The pros and cons are largely to the individual 'you' to decide.

If the instruments are intonated correctly,then E at the 7th fret of the A string,is the Same E on the same fret as on the other instruments. Weather its a bolt on or otherwise.

if you like the Bass,and the sound,buy it.