Why become a member? ×

Neo driver suppliers or tiny cab ideas

Oakbear

I'm looking for a cab with a 10 or 12", with good clarity, capable of around 400w, weighing 10kg or under, and the size of a handbag!
It'd be a lone cab with my AI Clarus, so would need some decent bass response too, but not much on the way of colour.

I'm checking out the Barefaced Midget, EA Wizzy 10, Epifani UL110, and Schroeder mini 10+ at the moment.
Any thoughts or other suggestions please?

A big downside is each of these are fairly pricey. It struck me that one way round this would be to self build and have a play around. This also appeals as i could make something unique.

I'm having trouble sourcing drivers however.

Which drivers do the above use, or are they all 'in-house' custom jobs?

Any suggestions for drivers or suppliers please?
I only seem to able to find Celestion BN10 NEO and Eminence Basslites, both of which seem a bit underpowered and advertise colouration of sound as a 'feature'.

Thanks in advance for any ideas....

When you find onelet the rest of us know

If you want to do a self build look at the BFM Jacks
[url="http://billfitzmaurice.net/"]http://billfitzmaurice.net/[/url]

They wont do 400 watts either in 10 or 12, what they will do is give you a very efficient loudspeaker that will alow you to get reasonable volume from a small package in a self build

[quote name='Oakbear' post='1120841' date='Feb 8 2011, 11:50 PM']....A big downside is each of these are fairly pricey....[/quote]
The upside is that they all work!

Excuse my scepticism, but you won't find a 10" or 12" speaker that puts out 400 watts, unless you understand advanced cab making you won't make a workable cab that weighs anything close to 10kg and as no manufacturer can get a load of bass out off a cab the size of a handbag I'll doubt that you will.

Alex seems to think these are the small, light cabs most capable of handling a 500w amp.

"The new Acme Low-B112, the new AudioKinesis TC112, the new Barefaced Big Baby and the barely any older Barefaced Midget. Notice a theme? There may be others too!"

Again, not cheap! It's something i've been looking at recently, i use a Superfly with an EA CXL110e (with a Deltalite fitted) which is just about enough for practice. The EA will be joined by another super light 1x10 when i get round to building one so maybe that will be enough.

I was wondering if there was a cab available that could do it all on it's own whilst still being tiny and featherweight, there is but i can't afford one!

I thought about scoring a Schroeder 1212l as they're not much bigger than a 1x12 (one driver is angled), still a bit more than i have at the moment though.

[quote name='Oakbear' post='1120841' date='Feb 8 2011, 11:50 PM']I'm looking for a cab with a 10 or 12", with good clarity, capable of around 400w, weighing 10kg or under, and the size of a handbag!
It'd be a lone cab with my AI Clarus, so would need some decent bass response too, but not much on the way of colour.[/quote]

That's a big ask!! Unfortunately, the small number of cabs that come anywhere near solving your conundrum will be expensive. That level of quality has to be paid for...

Forget about using a 10 - it will struggle to go loud enough on its own. A good 12 should do the job. If you'd like to roll your own, your lowest cost option for neo is the Celestion BN12-300X, a 300W driver. Google for suppliers - there are quite a few in the UK. It works OK in a 35 litre cab, although it sounds better (goes lower) in 50 litres. The former made out of poplar ply will get you under your 10kg target weight. Don't know about 50 litres, but that might also come in at under 10kg - you'll need to do the maths.
Alternatively, you could build a 35-litre cab out of 15mm birch ply which would probably work out at around 12kg. I wouldn't personally go lower than 15mm ply.
If you really want 500W power handling, look at an Eminence Kappalite 12LF (a bit deficient in the upper frequencies though), or even better, a driver from 18Sound or BMS. But be prepared to pay for the privilege - worth it, but probably not for a first build.

Thanks for the help folks!

I may end up buying yet, as i know it'll be tough as a first build, but i'd like to look into it further.

The Orange cab i think may be a bit coloured for me, but the specs are good.

Eminence Kappalite sounds worth investigating, as i think i'll have a tweeter too.
And thanks for the tip on ply, but i'm going to investigate a couple of creative alternative for weight i think.....

I'd be surprised if you any better than the Barefaced midget t. I know it blows the wizzy out the park and is only slightly bigger and insignificantly heavier. I'm using 2 of these where required at the moment and subjectively they equal what I was getting from my UL4x10. Most gigs I only need 1 midget and GB shuttle 9, giving 500 watts.....haven't heard it fart out yet, whereas the wizzy10 breaks up quite early on, and is very mid present and needs bass boosting. I believe upright players like them.
Hope that helps :)

voxpop - Thanks for the offer, but not really what i'm after ta. Good luck with the sale though!

MOSCOWBASS - Thanks that's an interesting comparison. I've heard a Midget and liked it a lot, but not used it with my gear. I should be trying a Wizzy soon though, so i'll see how it sounds.....

Well, if I built a cab, I'd be seriously tempted to try some B & C neo drivers in it. They have put the speakers in some amazing cabs (old UL Epi's) and, although they were tweaked for specific designs, I reckon their off the shelf stuff would be pretty amazing. Their customer service is pretty good too if you want to drop them a line.. Highly recommended for some deep sounding 10's !

Edited by fingerz

[quote name='stevie' post='1123085' date='Feb 10 2011, 07:38 PM']B&C drivers are excellent - although last time I looked they didn't have an off-the-shelf neo 12" that was suitable for bass guitar.[/quote]

The 12NDL76 is probably worth a look. It'll be happier in a smaller box than the Eminence - I suspect the driver that small Markbass 12" cabs are based around is a tweaked version of one of these (though it could also be a custom version using the old HPL frame).

The 12NDL76 is a very nice driver but the Qts (of .2) is going to kill any low end in a reflex cab. Just weakening the magnet would make it a lot more useable outside a horn, which could indeed be what they have done for Markbass.
I've been messing about with the Eminence 12LF in a small cab recently (and the Celestion BN12), and I'm surprised how good it is. I don't normally rate Eminence speakers much at all but this one has a quality sound, although it lacks definition higher up and really needs a midrange driver to finish it off. Once the weather gets a bit bettter I'll carry out a full set of measurements. And then do a midrange box.

Just a thought and it isn't a neo though at 4.6 kg it isn't the heaviest either but the Beyma SM212 is a good buy.

Nicely made with a cast chassis. Fs is 40Hz Xmax a brilliant 7mm and Qts 0.38. Response is quoted up to 6kHz though 5kHz is probably closer. Sounds good with bass in a 40l cab