Why become a member? ×

Tenuous Claim To Fame

Thunderthumbs

at a pub in Hertforshire, I took a dodgy pint of real ale back to the bar, and sitting at the end was Craig Charles. Nice bloke.
He walked past me on a train a few years later.

In Disneyworld in 1989 I was on a walkway, and saw Fred Coury (drummer in Cinderella) walk past.

In Brighton a few years ago, I met a bloke who claimed to be a promoter, and that he was the person who first brought The Hives to England. His opinion of my (then) band was 'well it's harmless' :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='132057' date='Feb 1 2008, 05:02 PM']at a pub in Hertforshire, I took a dodgy pint of real ale back to the bar, and sitting at the end was Craig Charles. Nice bloke.
He walked past me on a train a few years later.

In Disneyworld in 1989 I was on a walkway, and saw Fred Coury (drummer in Cinderella) walk past.

In Brighton a few years ago, I met a bloke who claimed to be a promoter, and that he was the person who first brought The Hives to England. His opinion of my (then) band was 'well it's harmless' :)[/quote]

Craig charles??? a nice bloke, are you kidding me??? what a complete stoned tosser! IMHO!

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='132101' date='Feb 1 2008, 05:57 PM']Craig charles??? a nice bloke, are you kidding me??? what a complete stoned tosser! IMHO![/quote]
When I did Robot Wars, he was just sat quietly behind the operator booths reading a paper until it was time to perform. I'd have rather liked to ask him about the Red Dwarf film (which was at the time allegedly being filmed in Australia) but I didn't.

Flippa Forrester was much more chatty, I got talking to her at Technogames - she wasn't one of the presenters on that series IIRC, she'd actually turned up out of interest.

Ok

Sid Little came into my shop and I got his Autograph
Met Neil Murray at the 1992 London Earl's Court trade show,spent 10 minutes with him
Kissed Vicky from we've got a Fuzzbox-it was only a peck unfortunately
Good friends with Kevin Bolembach of US band Non Fiction and more recently Seven Witches
Good friend of Bob Daisley
Met Gene Simmons once (Prick)
shouted at Keith Floyd once LOL

I'm sure there's more

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='142446' date='Feb 18 2008, 01:35 PM']I played a charity gig on Saturday night for Kidney Research UK at Whitworth Hall in Manchester University.

We had Nigel Pivaro ("Terry Duckworth", Jack & Vera's son in Coronation Street) on the dancefloor most of the night. Ooh if only Vera could've seen "arr Turry" and his moves.[/quote]

Sorry Pete I just have to Corrie upstage you.
I played at the 40th anniversay of the show so all cast past and present were there
(shameless one upmanship) but it is corrie
:)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='142683' date='Feb 18 2008, 07:23 PM']Sorry Pete I just have to Corrie upstage you.
I played at the 40th anniversay of the show so all cast past and present were there
(shameless one upmanship) but it is corrie
:)[/quote]
Damn! :blush:

Oh well, how about playing with Roy Wood being watched by Noddy Holder?

Or an after show party with Fish singing with us, and "Uncle Peter" (as in Woof, Bark, Donkey) from The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer playing drums?

Please let me win :huh:

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='142707' date='Feb 18 2008, 08:01 PM']Damn! :blush:

Oh well, how about playing with Roy Wood being watched by Noddy Holder?

Or an after show party with Fish singing with us, and "Uncle Peter" (as in Woof, Bark, Donkey) from The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer playing drums?

Please let me win :)[/quote]

Its a close one;
How about playing for the McLaren racing team Ron Dennis' 50th birthday and one of the guests Mike Rutherford (genesis, Mike and the Mechanics) got up and played my bass :huh: ;) ;)
obviously Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard danced to my groove too

I played in a trio with Brucey

accompanied John Inman

felt the draught of the tiller girls as they whizzed by

ok so I'm scraping now...

Damn

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='142850' date='Feb 19 2008, 12:18 AM']Its a close one;
How about playing for the McLaren racing team Ron Dennis' 50th birthday and one of the guests Mike Rutherford (genesis, Mike and the Mechanics) got up and played my bass :huh: :huh: ;)
obviously Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard danced to my groove too

I played in a trio with Brucey

accompanied John Inman

felt the draught of the tiller girls as they whizzed by

ok so I'm scraping now...

Damn[/quote]
Bwaaaarrrrr, bwaaaarrrrr......I lose.....you win....... :)

Saying that, I did once stand next to Steve Coppell in a bookshop at Manchester Airport, and next to Gary Pallister in a pub the night after they were beaten 4-0 by Barcelona. How he dared show his face that night I'll never know ;). Then again, I suppose he had to drown his sorrows somewhere.

I have some extremely tenuous claims lol.

I played Bass on a single for Hurricane Higgins
Ive played with The Platters while in Germany in the early eighties
Played with Vinny Burns from Dare, Ultravox, Asia, Ten etc
Played With Mick Hucknall with the Frantic Elevators in 1978
Jammed with the Steve Gibbons Band in the Isle of Man
Played in the same band as Darren Wharton from Lizzy
Played in a backing band for PJ Proby
and a million more other tenuous links

:)

Edited by ianrunci

Hundreds of years ago, I went to a House of Love gig in Amersham and ended up snogging a girl in the audience.

As a result me and my mates missed the last train home, but this girl said her Dad would run us all the way back to St Albans.

Sure enough, a Range Rover pulls up and she goes and has a word through the window. She came back and said "it's all okay, just promise me you won't get freaked out by my Dad".

With a fair amount of trepidation we get in to the back and settle down. Her Dad turns around and it's John Craven and he's even wearing one of his trademark jumpers!!

I saw him a while back on This Is Your Life and Jeeez with his Daughter and it brought all the memories back

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='143108' date='Feb 19 2008, 03:23 PM']Hundreds of years ago, I went to a House of Love gig in Amersham and ended up snogging a girl in the audience.

As a result me and my mates missed the last train home, but this girl said her Dad would run us all the way back to St Albans.

Sure enough, a Range Rover pulls up and she goes and has a word through the window. She came back and said "it's all okay, just promise me you won't get freaked out by my Dad".

With a fair amount of trepidation we get in to the back and settle down. Her Dad turns around and it's John Craven and he's even wearing one of his trademark jumpers!!

I saw him a while back on This Is Your Life and Jeeez has his Daughter got fat!![/quote]
Nice onem, no-one's gonna top that. You get an autograph? :)

[quote name='ianrunci' post='143093' date='Feb 19 2008, 02:48 PM']I have some extremely tenuous claims lol.

I played Bass on a single for Hurricane Higgins
Ive played with The Platters while in Germany in the early eighties
Played with Vinny Burns from Dare, Ultravox, Asia, Ten etc
Played With Mick Hucknall with the Frantic Elevators in 1978
Jammed with the Steve Gibbons Band in the Isle of Man
Played in the same band as Darren Wharton from Lizzy
Played in a backing band for PJ Proby
and a million more other tenuous links

:)[/quote]
I saw The Platters in Douglas, Isle of Man in 1983 - were you playing with them there?

I also saw The Frantic Elevators at The Apollo in Manchester many moons ago supporting Madness - did you play then?

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='144527' date='Feb 21 2008, 05:14 PM']I saw The Platters in Douglas, Isle of Man in 1983 - were you playing with them there?

I also saw The Frantic Elevators at The Apollo in Manchester many moons ago supporting Madness - did you play then?[/quote]

No my brief associations with both bands consisted of some gigs in Germany with the Platters in 1982 and about 4 gigs with the Elevators in 1977/78 Pips nightclub in Manchester, The Ranch bar Manchester, and The Tower Club in Oldham at which the stage was invaded by Oldham rugby club who grabbed Mick and demanded he sing Yellow Submarine with them to which he readily agreed of course, well you would wouldn't you?

[quote name='ianrunci' post='144974' date='Feb 22 2008, 12:45 PM']No my brief associations with both bands consisted of some gigs in Germany with the Platters in 1982 and about 4 gigs with the Elevators in 1977/78 Pips nightclub in Manchester, The Ranch bar Manchester, and The Tower Club in Oldham at which the stage was invaded by Oldham rugby club who grabbed Mick and demanded he sing Yellow Submarine with them to which he readily agreed of course, well you would wouldn't you?[/quote]
You most definitely would!

As with the Platters, I suppose there were also a few variations of them doing the tours. The one I saw had two of the original members. I went there with my parents, buy I think I was the one that enjoyed it the most.