Why become a member? ×

Propellerhead Reason & Record

Skol303

Just wondering if there are any Reason/Record users on here?

[ if you have no idea what I'm blathering on about visit [url="http://www.propellerheads.se/"]http://www.propellerheads.se/[/url] ]

I've been using Reason for a while myself and am now starting to get my head around Record for audio work - so far, I'm finding it fecking brilliant to be honest! Great piece of software and perhaps even better than Reason itself...

Anyway, just checking if there's other folk on Basschat whose brains I can pick for advice (when the need arises), or just other bass-playing Reason/Record users who want to talk tech or swap patches 'n' stuff. If so, feel free to geek out in this thread! :-)

Edited by Skol303

^ Looks like it's just you and me then mate!

I'm surprised there aren't more folk on this forum using Reason/Record, but then maybe I/we are minorities here as I guess Basschat is geared more towards audio/live work than technical tweakery.

Still, I might use this thread to share a few patches 'n' stuff in future... ;-)

^ ... and then there were three!

Good to know there's a few tech heads on here. I've never used Logic (despite owning a Mac), but a friend of mine swears by it. Must admit I'm too far gone with Reason to make the switch, but I understand that you can rewire Reason into Logic, so there's still scope for me to expand in future - I guess that would turn Reason into one helluva VST plug-in :-)

Out of interest, what interfaces are you folks using to record audio? I've always used a Tascam US-122MKII, but I'm thinking of getting a new one sometime this year. Just curious for any other recommendations.

Cheers and happy twiddling!

Used to use cubase as i just wanted to record multiple tracks of me playing and arrange into songs. With hindsight, i think cubase is to labourious to keep inspiration flowing. Which is why i don't use it much now. Will be good when i want to record finished products though.

After cubase i used reason (as my audio interface broke), thoroughly enjoy using it. Even with no external hardware (keyboard, controllers etc), it's a breeze to get a tune going. For turning an idea into something you can hear i think it's top! But once you become more familiar with reason you start to hear it in songs everywhere. This, for me, has spoiled it.

I now use ableton live. I've had it (and a launchpad) for some time now but because i'm used to cubase and reason the layout and function of it was very unfamiliar to me and i gave up on it too soon. But i was very ill through january, and decided to kill the hours getting myself aquainted with it. Holy smokes what a program! I really can't convey it's awesomness! Things can be as simple or complicated as YOU choose to make them, meaning ideas in your head can be turned to sound VERY quickly (like reason), but then can be fine tuned into a work of art (like cubase).

Try it, i think you'll like it :)

I used to use Cubase 5/32 & Reason (1, 2 & 2.5 successively) linked with rewire but found I mainly just used Reason & then finished things in Cubase if I could be bothered.

I used to record my audio in SoundForge, chop it into chunks & then either put it into a NN19 or fire it into the REX editor thing (can't recall what it was called) & then play about with it in the Dr Rex.

I'd love to get hold of a current version of Reason, but funds won't allow it just now. Maybe someday :)

I'll dig out a couple of my Reason tracks & pop links on here.

Another production/tech head here.
Cubase for years [and love it] so have a good work flow going on.
I use a M-audio 10/10 with the PCI card.
Just gone all 64 bit Quad core W7 [8 gig of DDR3 1600]
I had a small problem with some older plug ins [32 bit]
But there is this cheap little programme called J-Bridge, which bridges 32 to 64 bit. so all sorted.
I Have Live 8 as well, but not loaded it onto the new system yet.

A friend of mine is using Reason 5 & Record - it looks pretty cool.
But to be honest they all pretty much do the same these days.
I like Cubase because of the built in score/notater midi editor. Good for Orchestral mock ups.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

^ Nice one folks, good to know there's a few more of us tech heads on here!

I'm working on a few tracks at the moment that involve some recorded audio (muggins here playing bass), which I'll upload/link to once they're finished so you can have a good laugh ;-) I might also share a few home-made synth patches and .rex files once I get my ass in gear.

Currently spending more time playing bass than actually recording - only because I'm trying to get my playing up to scratch and learn some notation.

Might also have a 'live' gig in the pipeline this year, which fills me with fear to be honest! I'm hearing very good things about using Ableton for this purpose, and I notice some of you here recommend it, so I'll have to check it out and have a play.

Happy twiddling!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using reason on and off for a few years, and got record about a year ago, but haven't used them much. I do prefer Record to Cubase (which I also have), but I find the whole process of recording on a PC a bit un-musical and frustrating, so I never get anything completed. I'll probably sell the PC software at some point.

I've just started looking at multitrack recording on my ipad, and found a really nice drum sequencer (DrumTrackHD) which will export wave files into a multi-tracking app (called MultiTrack spookily) which works with the iRig.

Pros
- working using the ipad screen is much better than mouse and keyboard for me personally
- it's obviously more portable

Cons
- the multi-tracking app doesn't yet have any effects for mixing, so unless theres an upgrade soon, I'll have to mix each track in another app independantly, which will be a lot of faffing, or dump them all into reason to mixdown, assuming I get that far.

sorry, bit of a thread-hijack but once you're on a roll......

Got a link to my old iSound page. I can't remember any of the details to log on & haven't been on for a few years now!

Final Journey is my fave of the 3 tracks here. All done in Reason 2.5. :)

[url="http://www.isound.com/gsj"]gsj[/url]

If I find any others online or get time to put some up, I'll pop em on here.

I used Reason a good few years ago, maybe 2003-2004 ish? It was good but eventually I found it to feel a bit limiting so moved on. I've tried a lot of stuff over the years. Cubase has a pretty poor audio engine but has worked for getting some stuff recorded. I had a crack at Sonar a few years ago and found that to be pretty good, but never really explored it much further... Ableton I liked but found it a little bit harder to get into a flow with, so I never really carried on using it. Same with Tracktion, deceptively simple in appearance but actually a decent bit of software if you know what you're doing.

I've used Pro Tools and some stuff on Mac at uni but in all honesty don't find Macs to be anything special, and Pro Tools is decent but again - I don't really see what all the fuss is about!

At the moment I use REAPER for recording as I think it's the simplest, most straightforward, has an incredble range of features and technology for a very low price - and it just has the greatest 'wow' factor of anything I've used so far. I also like using FL Studio to get ideas down quickly, but that's more of a programming thing than a recording thing.

Gear wise I've got a MOTU Ultralite 10 in/14 out firewire interface and that's always been great.

I'm currently using Record to transcribe drums, so I can program my drum machines (as our human drummer quit).
As I'd used the Kong module to do the drums I thought I'd quickly record bass and my hamfisted guitaring.
The result:
[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/gearbox"]http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/gearbox[/url]

Bass and guitars in one take each

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had my first day playing with Record.

It was an upgrade from Reason 3.0 (upgrade to Reason 5 and Record for about 100 Euros :))

Really easy to use straight out the box, and great for those less technically minded like myself, but if Reason is anything to go by then you'll be able to push the software really far.

I have an old version of Reason (can't remember what version it is) that I used to use mostly for demoing new songs, I never really used it for anything serious so I never bothered to upgrade it. I do like it though, I like how quick and easy it is to work with.

I haven't used Record but I like the look of it. Again it's something I haven't bothered with because I don't have a pressing enough need to justify the price.

Following this topic with interest as I want to try something other then Cubase for making tunes, it's fine for recording live instruments but I want to do more stuff with loops and sampling, I was thinking Reason but after some sugestions from Basschatters I have been looking at Ableton Live, it's a totally different way of working but that's a good thing.

Just need some cash - hmm.. what can I sell :)

Reaper is great and so cheap, worth a look for multi tracking.

FWIW I think Ableton Live is really good fun, although the diff way of working took a bit of time to get my head around - however I'm not sure what qulaity is achievable with Ableton as AFAIK it's primary use is Live. A lot of M Audio products come with a free version of Ableton Live Lite, which can b a really cost effective way of experimenting with it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1169110' date='Mar 20 2011, 02:53 AM']I have an old version of Reason (can't remember what version it is) that I used to use mostly for demoing new songs, I never really used it for anything serious so I never bothered to upgrade it. I do like it though, I like how quick and easy it is to work with.

I haven't used Record but I like the look of it. Again it's something I haven't bothered with because I don't have a pressing enough need to justify the price.[/quote]

I had an old version of Reason - and it only cost me about 100 euros to upgrade it to the latest version and get Record - not really a big money investment at all if you already have Reason.

[quote name='gilmour' post='1168992' date='Mar 19 2011, 11:08 PM']I've just had my first day playing with Record.

It was an upgrade from Reason 3.0 (upgrade to Reason 5 and Record for about 100 Euros :))

Really easy to use straight out the box, and great for those less technically minded like myself, but if Reason is anything to go by then you'll be able to push the software really far.[/quote]

^ Yup, I couldn't agree more! :-)

I love Record... been using it over the weekend in fact. As with Reason, what I really like about it is that it's so 'instant' - I get an idea in my head and 5 minutes later I have a rough recording of it to work with.

My background is more in using Reason, but I'm slowly starting to get my head around the extra features on Record. Must say that I really like the Line 6 amps and the mixing desk on Record is better than the one on Reason. IMHO.

Anyway, good to see so many Propellerheadz on here!

[quote name='bartelby' post='1149779' date='Mar 4 2011, 07:01 PM']I'm currently using Record to transcribe drums, so I can program my drum machines (as our human drummer quit).
As I'd used the Kong module to do the drums I thought I'd quickly record bass and my hamfisted guitaring.
The result:
[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/gearbox"]http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/gearbox[/url]

Bass and guitars in one take each[/quote]

^ Just listen to this... good work; really like it!

Nice drum pattern you have going on there (mind if I ask which Kong patch you're using?). And a nice bass tone too - it reminds me of Rob Wright from Nomeansno; might be 'cos I'm listening to them a lot at the moment but it's got that hard, crunchy edge (sorry, adjectives ain't my thing!).

Like I said, nice one :-)

The Kong patch is one I set up from scratch.
I really like the bass tone too. It's my Ibby BTB through the built in input on the iMac and a tweaked Line6 bass patch (I think, I was messing with the Scream unit and some of the Mastering Suite boxes at the time).

I'm a huge NoMeansNo fan, so I like the comparison!
:)

[quote name='bartelby' post='1172088' date='Mar 22 2011, 01:44 PM']The Kong patch is one I set up from scratch.
I really like the bass tone too. It's my Ibby BTB through the built in input on the iMac and a tweaked Line6 bass patch (I think, I was messing with the Scream unit and some of the Mastering Suite boxes at the time).

I'm a huge NoMeansNo fan, so I like the comparison!
:)[/quote]

Ah a DIY Kong patch, makes sense. You've picked some nice noises for it; very natural-sounding.

I play an Ibanez as well (an old EDB600), but it doesn't sound as nice as yours, I must admit! The Scream distortion is a real winner though, innit? I use Scream on nearly all of my tracks - in fact, I should probably give it a rest and use other distortion for a while, but it's just too damn addictive :)

Anyway, nice track like I said. Good to hear yer a Nomeansno fan too - I f-king love that band; Rob Wright is a seriously under-rated/unknown bassist in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Some brilliant (and free!) new tutorials just been released on the Propellerhead website as part of their 'Making Music Month'.

Relevant to just about all forms of music-making, not just Reason/Record software. Some very useful stuff on there about mixing, synthesis, percussion, recording, lyric writing, marketing, etc.

Check it out:

[url="http://www.propellerheads.se/mmm/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=eventschedule"]http://www.propellerheads.se/mmm/index.cfm...e=eventschedule[/url]

Edited by Skol303

• 2 months later...

For anyone who's interested, Propellerhead Reason 6 has recently been announced - due out in September:

[url="http://www.propellerheads.se/reason6/"]http://www.propellerheads.se/reason6/[/url]

64bit, new toys to play with and all the gubbins that was previously exclusive to Record (including the Line 6 amp sim).

Looks pretty darn good to me :)