Why become a member? ×

Reccomend an earphone amp please

fumps

Hello,
I've decided to spend my dinners & breaks at work more usefully, rather than binging in an amp for work i've had a look round & found there are little headphone amps available on the market. I'm guessing they are little battery driven jobbies but have no knowladge of their existance until this morning.

does anyone have any knowladge of these ?
Can anyone recommend a good one?

Cheaper the better because at my place of work it's a really dirty messy place so everything gets clad in dust after only a few uses. spending silly money will just cost more to replace later.

All i need is a basic amount of volume into some walkman style speakers so i can find a quiet place & play my Bass in peace during my breaks.

cheers peeps

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='1110624' date='Feb 1 2011, 08:36 AM']I'd look at a Tascam bass trainer or a pandora - so much better than the bare bass...

I'd be inclined to buy a camera case for it, or even just wrap it in cling film![/quote]

+1

More expensive by some margin, but both have tons of built in effects, I think the Pandora has a drum machine function too. Either would be well worth the money!

:)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1110621' date='Feb 1 2011, 08:31 AM']I'd avoid the Vox amplug unless you're really on a budget. Not great, IMO.[/quote]

^ Hmmm... the Vox Amplug ain't great, but it's pretty damn good for £30 in my opinion! The sound I get from mine is nice, and I like the fact it can be plugged into the end of a pedal chain if I ever want to run effects into it. It's also very dinky, so you can literally carry it around in your pocket with a set of mini-headphones, if need be.

The downsides being: 1) it's cheaply made and feels like a toy; and 2) it drains the batteries fairly fast (about 6 hours for two AAAs).

I've got one of the Vox Amplugs as well, and for a cheap option, I would definitely recommend it. It's a little bit noisy, but nothing you can't live with. It's small and provided you have a reasonable case to carry it in, very portable. Personally I've not had a problem with battery life - the recommendation is for 15-17 hours on 2 AAA cells I think, but I've regularly had well over 30 hours use from one set of batteries.

The mini cabinet Vox do to go with it looks great and is quite amusing, but in reality not that practical.

If you have a ipod or iphone there is always iRig. The software is free and it comes with a guitar amp sim (you do need to buy the bass amp if you want it though at about £3), so you just need to buy the adaptor which is around £27.
Very handy if you do carry a iphone etc around although i found my Korg Pandora PX4D to sound better and have a lot more variation.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='1110624' date='Feb 1 2011, 08:36 AM']I'd look at a Tascam bass trainer or a pandora - so much better than the bare bass...

I'd be inclined to buy a camera case for it, or even just wrap it in cling film![/quote]

+1 for the tascam, I practice with mine all the time. MP3 player and headphone amp in one!

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='1110924' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:12 PM']+1 for the tascam, I practice with mine all the time. MP3 player and headphone amp in one![/quote]

+ another 1 for the MP-BT1. I'd be lost without mine now, and I still have my CD-BT1 MkII, because it has a line in socket, which means you can input your pc or any other line level from iPods or whatever. Very useful.