Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yamaha Attitude MkIII

andy67

[quote name='charic' post='1109135' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:14 AM']The angled bolts were quite interesting. Although I wonder why he doesn't just go neck thru if it's that big a deal to him.[/quote]

He's stated on quite a few interviews he doesn't like the feel and sound of a neck through. Having owned a neck through I quite agree with him.

I think Billy is great at what he does and I do admire him for that, if the bass was priced under £1500 i'd probably consider it as I know it'd be built like tank and I wouldn't break it, but I liked the old red colour more.

I really like Billy and his views. He has some really interesting stuff to say and he is intelligent enough to put it across well. If only all celeb bassists had as much involvement in the development of their signature instruments!

I have to say though that he is one of only a very small number of bass players of whom I have absolutely no desire to play like or sound like. I know his tone works for him and sounds nice within the mix on tracks he plays on - but it does nothing for me. A couple of times recently my band has learned Dave Lee Roth or Mr. Big tracks with a view to playing them. I have really struggled to nail the bass parts. In fact, to be honest, I haven't got anywhere near them! I was never influenced by Billy and can't get a tone anything like his. Not surprising on a Status maybe?!

Best of luck to the guy - but not for me I'm afraid.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='charic' post='1109135' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:14 AM']I wonder why he doesn't just go neck thru if it's that big a deal to him.[/quote]
The first bass Sheehan and Yamaha worked on was based on the BB3000 model (think pink), which is neck-thru, so he obviously has looked into that design, and discounted it. After the BB3000, Sheehan moved on to using an RBX model (think blue), which is bolt-on, and Yamaha used that as the template for the Attitude model.

[quote name='KevB' post='1109204' date='Jan 31 2011, 11:11 AM']Still an unjustifiable price tag (along with many other mass produced instruments I guess).[/quote]
Guess that all depends on what you mean by "mass produced instrument". The bass Sheehan is playing (will play) will be built by the Yamaha Music Craft workshop, which is where Yamaha builds its handcrafted instruments. Now, unless you're prepared to call the likes of Alembic, Sadowsky and Wal mass producers, because Yamaha uses production lines to build the majority of its other models, to suggest its hand-built models are "mass produced" and not "handcrafted" is a comment simply without merit.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1109631' date='Jan 31 2011, 04:04 PM']The first bass Sheehan and Yamaha worked on was based on the BB3000 model [color="#4169E1"][b](ROSE BLUE)[/b][/color], which is neck-thru, so he obviously has looked into that design, and discounted it. After the BB3000, Sheehan moved on to using an RBX model (think blue), which is bolt-on, and Yamaha used that as the template for the Attitude model.

Guess that all depends on what you mean by "mass produced instrument". The bass Sheehan is playing (will play) will be built by the Yamaha Music Craft workshop, which is where Yamaha builds its handcrafted instruments. Now, unless you're prepared to call the likes of Alembic, Sadowsky and Wal mass producers, because Yamaha uses production lines to build the majority of its other models, to suggest its hand-built models are "mass produced" and not "handcrafted" is a comment simply without merit.[/quote]

There fixed that for ya! :)

andy

[quote name='noelk27' post='1109835' date='Jan 31 2011, 06:43 PM']Really? [url="http://www.billysheehan.com/gear/instruments_12.html"]Blue[/url]?[/quote]

Yep! Heard him in an interview declare it as rose blue and couldn't understand why people would think it is pink!! All said with a straight face....

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='1108965' date='Jan 31 2011, 01:48 AM']Interesting: [url="http://en.item.rakuten.com/k-gakki/1522974/"]http://en.item.rakuten.com/k-gakki/1522974/[/url]

Save 25% but without shipping and import duty. Still a lot of money £1700 ex tax and shipping.

andy[/quote]

This one in the link is the Attitude II, which I guess is being sold off at a discount because of the incoming Attitude III model, so with a bit of extrapolation, it looks as though the III will be about the same price in Japan (+import charges). Will it? Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since I imported.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1109631' date='Jan 31 2011, 04:04 PM']Guess that all depends on what you mean by "mass produced instrument". The bass Sheehan is playing (will play) will be built by the Yamaha Music Craft workshop, which is where Yamaha builds its handcrafted instruments. Now, unless you're prepared to call the likes of Alembic, Sadowsky and Wal mass producers, because Yamaha uses production lines to build the majority of its other models, to suggest its hand-built models are "mass produced" and not "handcrafted" is a comment simply without merit.[/quote]

As a player of 2 YMC instruments, +1000!

Rose blue was the colour name of the BB, but it did show up as pink, although you can see some blue in it in a certain light. The RBX was the first (unsuccessful) attempt at reproducing Billy's original "Wife" P bass, but the "Wife" was certainly the template for the Attitude. It's essentially a professionally produced version of all the hotel room DIY mods Billy made on the P. Billy has said thet engineers have told him the Attitude is the most P sounding bass other than a real precision that they've heard. It all comes from the P bass!

The reason it looks like a lash-up is that it was based upon this;

But when tidied up, it they [i]can[/i] look like this (mine)

Made in Japan!
Di Marzio WillPowers as standard.
Hipshot manufactured De-Tuner, not a licensed one.
The other 3 are Gotoh..

I didn't pay list price in 2003. I should've bought the other one, as the best offer (unsolicited) I've had for this is five times what I paid for it! The worst offer was that I should pay them to burn it. I guess the colour polarizes opinion a bit.
I really must string it with something decent, I never seem to bother. It deserves something DR flavoured;
FatBeams/ HiBeams/ SunBeams or maybe Black Beauties?
I don't think Neons would go very well, would they?

Don't like the new colour.The green rocked imho.. If I was gonna buy a signature
model, then the mk 2 (green) would be the one. For me ,it's like having a custom bass,hence the price. Having said that,there are other manufacturers who charge
more dosh for average Fender impersonations.Horses for courses etc. If I came into money in the future (never) I'd
get an Attitude and a Kubicki . Love Billy, what you see is what you get.You can tell he cares about his Basses,and his fans.

[quote name='andy67' post='1109854' date='Jan 31 2011, 06:57 PM']Yep! Heard him in an interview declare it as rose blue and couldn't understand why people would think it is pink!! All said with a straight face....

andy[/quote]

Haha!

Its called rose blue because of the undertone, of light metallic blue.

Yamaha Paint jobs are fabulous. The LTD II (R.I.P) Lava red has a stunning gold undertone of paint simply gorgeous!

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1109100' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:53 AM']The improved neck to body joint is the most interesting new feature, don't you think? Seriously stable and the angled bolts are a unique feature.[/quote]

Hmm, wonder if it was inspired by the Frank Gambale signature guitar that Yamaha put out a few years ago; as I understand the story, the design that FG specified meant that the trem springs had to be bolted direct to the end of the long tenon of the neck that sits directly under the pickups. He reckons it made perfect sense, and improved the resonance appreciably.