Why become a member? ×

Fender Basses

snazz

Well I've been getting the urge to plonk a bass again. I have not played for 14 years, and I have 2 USA Fender Strats sat about doing 100% nothing. One is even slackened off and under the bed in a case where it has been for about 18 months. But I digress.

I used to play a headless Honer when I gigged, and I loved that bass. Very slim neck and nice to play. I've not been able to track one down at a reasonable price. I had the full body version, and all I see is the cut off ones, and they look crap and are over priced for what they are. So..... I am thinking Fender jazz. The only thing I am in a quandary about is the USA, Japan, Mexico version as the price difference is huge, double and even treble in some cases. So, if someone with a bit of knowledge could impart said knowledge to me I'd be grateful.

If we could set aside the snobbery of owning the USA version, and come up with some valid reason to buy each or don't buy each one that would help. Plus if someone could tell me where I may get a second hand one within easy no car distance of Stretford Manchester that would be just top banana as they say. LOL.

I know I'm asking a lot, but people who are already in the know can save those like me who don't know Jack a hell of a lot of waisted effort. :)

I'm looking at [url="http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Fender_USA_Highway_1_Jazz_Bass_Guitar__011-1460_.html"]http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog..._011-1460_.html[/url]

Would like secondhand, I really don't like new basses too much. I much prefere the rounded well used feel. I've posted the above on NWB they pointed me here.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Blease

The thing with Fender is that you can find good and bad models in all ranges. Some of the Mexican models are great now and are worth looking at.US models are generally great but not always.I've found the Japanese models to be my personal favourites,as they seem to consistently good quality.
Let's be honest,the Squier Classic Vibes are also worth looking at right now-they're great.
It's really best to try a whole bunch of them and pick the one you like most...you may be surprised.

As far as where to buy them-try Johnny Roadhouse,Dawsons and PMT.

Go to all the shops Doddy has said and more, play all of the Fender basses they have, which will be mainly USA and Mex, the odd Jap one will be the signature models.
Then scour all the classified and see what's on sale.
I have a Jap Jazz and it is fantastic. Light, amazing fret work, great finish, great neck and I got it secondhand.

If it's a Fender you're after, CIJ is always the way forward if bang to bang is your main concern. Their basses are usually better than the USA ones! But if you're just after a good passive jazz bass, you really can't go wrong with the Classic Vibe Jazz bass. For a little bit of cash, you get a bloody brilliant little bass. I wish I'd never sold mine!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1105717' date='Jan 27 2011, 11:46 PM']If it's a Fender you're after, CIJ is always the way forward if bang to bang is your main concern. Their basses are usually better than the USA ones! But if you're just after a good passive jazz bass, you really can't go wrong with the Classic Vibe Jazz bass. For a little bit of cash, you get a bloody brilliant little bass. I wish I'd never sold mine![/quote]arent CIJ's hard to find now?..Squire's are certainly great basses.. they dont touch MIJ Fender though IMO.. this is an MIJ played by Julian Crampton.. i played this very bass through a phil jones suitcase combo, when i spoke to him at the jazz cafe back stage he said all he changed was the bridge... he had the action very low for a Fender... he said it cost him £500....

this is a vid of that bass..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1C0HHhDIeY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1C0HHhDIeY[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

Mexican basses are inconsistent. I got lucky mail ordering mine because it's a beaut and has the slimmest neck I've ever played on any Jazz. Perfect for me and I'll never sell it despite it being heavy as a log.

Regardless which route you take I'd fully recommend replacing the pickups with Wizards. I put some 84s on mine, haven't played a Jazz that sounds anything like as good as my MIM and I've played a lot of Fenders. Wizard pickups are simply the dogs bollox and they aren't expensive.

ALSO, a good setup is hugely important with all Fenders. It seems most guitar shops have given up giving their instruments proper setups! Bizarre. You wouldn't show someone round you For Sale house without having a clean up first.

Edited by Soloshchenko

IMO the work ethic from Japan is far beyond any other mass produced make of bass... this doesnt stop at instruments..i remember watching a film about a Honda factory.. the way they organise there workforce and the thought they put into manufacturing is very impressive. i wouldnt hesitate in buying a Crews bass or a Moon etc..

Edited by bubinga5

There have recently been a couple of US Precisions on here, for under £600, inc a late 90s which, if my Precisions are anything to go by, are very good indeed. My late 97 is easily the best of my three US Precisions.

Of course there are going to be good and bad in all of the ranges, but I think that from what I`ve read on here, it seems that both US & CIJ/MIJ have less quality control issues than the Mex range (tho I had a Mex and it was great, only sold it as needed the money).

The main decider though is in the hands - probably the two best Precisions I`ve played are a Custom Shop Pino Palladino Signature, and a Road Worn. Difference of some £1400 between them, one made in the Custom Shop (dur) one made in Mexico. I honestly can`t say which I preferred.

Iv'e just taken delivery of a MEX Roger Waters Artist which I got out of its box only last night. Haven't had much time to do anything with it yet but first impressions are good.

I ordered the bass from Dawson's and I found all the guys I dealt with there to be knowledgable and extremely helpful. A real delight to do business with.

I agree with all the above advice, try lot's of different basses because quality does vary throughout. If you find one that you really love in a shop, haggle. My local shop had the RW up for £767 and when I walked out the door told me I could have it for £583!!!! Got it from Dawsons for £40 less than that again.

On a similar note, I bought a Squier 50th Anni Precision from here a little while ago for £100 and I absolutely love it. It's just a very personal thing. Cheers CD_ David.

Good luck with your search.

LC

I have a couple of Mexicans and I reckon I've been really lucky with them. They're great! But if I'd had an extra bit of cash rather than trade fodder, I'd have gone for a CIJ. As good as an American, for a third of the prive.

Look at [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk"]Far East Guitars[/url]

Really good models for the money!

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

I've seen some roadworn Wine Jazzes, they were £850, I've not been in the shop to see where they are from but at £850 I'll say it's the Mex version as the ones on line are £1250. That's too much when you consider I'm only pondering going back to playing. I have two Fender Strats sat Idle, I don't want to add another expensive stringed stick to sit there.

I've certainly got information overload from here and NWB. I have had an offer to go to someones house and try their basses. That sounds good to me, 'cos I'll get real personal clarity, and a chance to look at stuff without feeling pressure.

I'm a sucker for my own punishment though as I am for sure a brand snob. There's nothing I can do about it, it's been that way since I was a kid and didn't really have great gear. Now I have some money, I like to throw it about. LOL... what a plonker /sigh

Anyway, anymore info is greatly appreciated. I'm gonna go to Dawsons this after noon as I'm up at Altrincham crem at 12:30, so shortly after I'll be in there. Must stick a plectrum in my pocket. Oh yeah did I mention.... I like basses to have a back pick up, No guards over the strings anywhere, flatwound strings, passive. I like a hard boxy sound when I used to play, but sometimes I like a impersonal double bass sound too. So the bass has to have back and center pickups. The ones that just have center picks won't cover the sound I like on their own. Think I used to play with back pickup on full and middle one just enough to put a bit of bass cover on it. Don't really want it to sound like im playing inside a shoe box, well not unless it's a size 18s one. :)

Thanks in advance....

Right then......

If you are a 'brand snob' like you say,then you probably won't be happy if it's not a US Jazz.
However,because you don't want to spend a great lot,your best bet is probably a Squier Classic Vibe. Unless you go secondhand of course.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1105700' date='Jan 27 2011, 11:20 PM']The thing with Fender is that you can find good and bad models in all ranges. Some of the Mexican models are great now and are worth looking at.US models are generally great but not always.I've found the Japanese models to be my personal favourites,as they seem to consistently good quality.
Let's be honest,the Squier Classic Vibes are also worth looking at right now-they're great.
It's really best to try a whole bunch of them and pick the one you like most...you may be surprised.[/quote]

+1
When I was in the market for a JB I went out looking for a MIA.
I tried two MIA's - one was good, the other one was horrid.
I tried an MIJ and that was really good but I wasn't a fan of the colour (sad innit? :) ).
I tried an MIM and it was so awful it had to be a mistake, so they got another one out and that was totally dead (!), they then got a third one out and I loved it.
I tried the MIA again and then went off for a coffee and a think...
I went out to buy an MIA and came back with a MIM!

If you're prepared to sit and try the basses out (and find a shop who are happy to accept that you aren't going to just buy the first thing they shove into your hands!), there are some musical surprises to be had out there. :)

Well, I went I saw, I was unimpressed. I tried every bass in Johnny's. Two I found good. The Jazz bass and some Peavy fretless that I played for 10 mins b4 i realise it was fretless. I was plonking away think, mmm this is very smooth but sounds different. Then I thought WTF, no frets LOL.

Another thing I saw, the prices are the same all over. I hate that. It shows a lack of competition and a bit of price fixing. But I digress.... Second hand it's gonna have to be. I want nice and worn in, I just hate that newness. Feels so rough and angular.

I tried a few in Dawsons too. It's gonna be a struggle. I also got every kind of cramp and ache of the hand you can think of./sigh

[quote name='snazz' post='1106365' date='Jan 28 2011, 04:18 PM']Another thing I saw, the prices are the same all over. I hate that. It shows a lack of competition and a bit of price fixing.[/quote]

Not quite that simple.
When I worked in the music retail industry (about 30 years ago!), the only legitimate way to stock Fender was to go through the UK importer (Arbiter at the time IIRC).
They had a whole set of rules and conditions that had to be satisfied before they'd even send a rep out to visit.
The markup on the instruments was rather slim and Arbiter would always prefer to supply a retailer in a prime (expensive rent) location - making discounting an already slim markup even less enticing for the retailer.

[quote name='icastle' post='1106629' date='Jan 28 2011, 07:28 PM']Not quite that simple.
When I worked in the music retail industry (about 30 years ago!), the only legitimate way to stock Fender was to go through the UK importer (Arbiter at the time IIRC).
They had a whole set of rules and conditions that had to be satisfied before they'd even send a rep out to visit.
The markup on the instruments was rather slim and Arbiter would always prefer to supply a retailer in a prime (expensive rent) location - making discounting an already slim markup even less enticing for the retailer.[/quote]

That's price fixing. You can't have my items unless you sell them for this much, yes that's price fixing alright. See it all the time with Sony PS3s and so on. How the hell they get away with it I don't know.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1106673' date='Jan 28 2011, 08:18 PM']My understanding was that the Mexican Fenders were actually US parts shipped to Mexico for assembly,where the lower labour costs made the product cheaper?[/quote]

US wood parts, that is correct but they are finished/ assembled there, but also have locally sourced components as well.

[quote name='snazz' post='1106713' date='Jan 28 2011, 08:52 PM']That's price fixing. You can't have my items unless you sell them for this much, yes that's price fixing alright. See it all the time with Sony PS3s and so on. How the hell they get away with it I don't know.[/quote]

Price fixing doesn't work like that.

If two companies agree to sell their product or service in such a way that they gain a competitive advantage over other players in the field then that is price fixing and is illegal.

A retailer who has undertaken to sell a product at a fixed price for a company isn't price fixing because they aren't gaining a competitive advantage - they're maintaining a level playing field.

The prices might be high, but if people are prepared to pay that for the product then there's not a lot that can be done I'm afraid...