Why become a member? ×

I say, hulloo! :)

Stuee

Greetings, fellow Masters of the Low Notes!

My name is Stuee and I'm a bass player. Well, bass [i]owner [/i]at least! :)

My name is Stuart Ross but 'Stuee' seems to have stuck. I joined Basschat only a very short while ago (no idea why it's taken me so long to come aboard) but have already developed an almost tragic case of GAS, so thanks for that!

I play bass and drums professionally, and have done for the last 18 years. Artists I've recorded and/or toured with include Vanessa Mae, The Who, Pete Townshend, Amy MacDonald, Nik Kershaw, Toyah Willcox, Mark Owen, Rachel Fuller, Scarlet, Voice of the Beehive, Chesney Hawkes, Alex Parks, A1, Tricky, 3rd Edge, Judie Tzuke, Claire Nicolson, as well as many function/pub/club/party/tribute bands, and a few original bands to boot.

This means I have been lucky enough to see much of the world, make a bunch of records, get on TV quite a bit, and generally have a great time. This also means that I have unrealistic expectations of life, and so have also spent a lot of time being very poor - but I wouldn't change a thing.

Currently my only regular gigs are with Vanessa Mae (which are nearly always out of the U.K. in weird and wonderful places), Chesney Hawkes (which are now mainly at Butlins, with the occasional University ball) and Claire Nicolson, who is a pro backing singer turned artist who's trying to break at the moment. But I do a lot of depping and like to play as often as possible, including turning up at various jam sessions around Hampshire, Wiltshire & Dorset.

Gear wise, I have a mid 90s Mexican Fender Precision Special that Fender gave me, which I love & has been my go to workhorse since it was new in 1996. I have a 1981 Tokai Hard Puncher which I stripped, refurbed and upgraded a couple of years ago (my first rebuild and quite successful!). There's a 1977/8 Gibson Ripper that I picked up for next to nothing on Craig's List last January in California - probably the best sounding bass I own!! And most recently I have just bought a 60s Teisco short scale bass which is awesome (£90 on Gumtree haha) and a USA Peavey Cirrus 5.

The Cirrus 5 is a replacement for my beloved 1995 Patrick Eggle custom 5-string (pictured in my avatar) which I was foolish enough to 'lose' in late December. I'll post a topic about that in the Stolen Basses section. I'm very sad.

Amplification wise, at the front end I use an Aguilar Tonehammer preamp, feeding either my old 70s Ampeg V-6B 240W solid state head (which is about as heavy as my car), or my modern HiWatt Custom 400 (DR401) 11 valve head (which is considerably heavier than the Ampeg!), which I use with either an Ashdown ABM 210H for small gigs/rehearsals, or a monster Marshall 7410 cabinet for larger venues/stages (which weighs approximately 3.4 x the Moon!). Needless to say, I am intrigued by the new super-lightweight Class D amps and modern cabs which are now becoming so popular!

So, now I've said 'I' about a hundred times, I think I'll go and drink some Old Peculiar and figure out a way of selling my Granny and perhaps a niece or two, so I can buy one of the lovely Laklands, Sadowsky's or old P Basses I've seen here... :lol:

Meanwhile, I look forward to getting to know everyone & enjoying what feels like a great bass loving community.

All the best, Stuee :)

Edited by Stuee

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1099433' date='Jan 23 2011, 11:06 AM']Welcome aboard - I bet that Hiwatt has a lot of thump[/quote]

Cheers Alan, yes it does! Actually, if anything it's too powerful. For a 'rock' amp it's amazingly clean. Even with input gain on max and my loudest bass, it just won't break up! So I'm looking for an overdrive pedal that doesn't suck all the low end out of my tone when kicked in. Thinking of trying the new TC Electronic MojoMojo... we'll see.

Anyway I'm rabbiting again. Nice to meet you :)

[quote name='deaver' post='1099459' date='Jan 23 2011, 11:26 AM']Hello Stuee. Impressive stuff, I'm in Salisbury if you want to have a jaw about basses and basschat sometime[/quote]

Cheers Deaver,

I don't get into Salisbury much, but sometimes go to the blues jam at the Shoe Inn at Plaitford. It's the 3rd Sunday of every month IIRC. I used to go to the Rugby Club on Castle Road on 1st Wed of the month, but I think that's stopped - not 100% sure though.

It's also worth popping into Conran's in Salt Lane for Music4Fun, which is the last Thursday of every month. That's a bit more of an open-mic vibe, but can be fun.

In fact, if you're interested in this sort of thing, check out [url="http://www.riversidebluesband.co.uk/jamming.htm"]this page[/url] for more jams around the area and further afield.

All the best, Stuee.

[quote name='Stuee' post='1099490' date='Jan 23 2011, 11:45 AM']Cheers Deaver,

I don't get into Salisbury much, but sometimes go to the blues jam at the Shoe Inn at Plaitford. It's the 3rd Sunday of every month IIRC. I used to go to the Rugby Club on Castle Road on 1st Wed of the month, but I think that's stopped - not 100% sure though.

It's also worth popping into Conran's in Salt Lane for Music4Fun, which is the last Thursday of every month. That's a bit more of an open-mic vibe, but can be fun.

In fact, if you're interested in this sort of thing, check out [url="http://www.riversidebluesband.co.uk/jamming.htm"]this page[/url] for more jams around the area and further afield.

All the best, Stuee.[/quote]

And thank you Stuee. Not much of a jammer myself I have to be honest but thanks for the info. Regarding Salisbury, Robb Blake runs an Open Mic/Jam night the third Wednesday of every month at the Winchester Gate, there's usually a spot for a bass player (he's always moaning at me for not giving it a go). I didn't there was/is one at the rugby club, we're probably playing there in March so I'll ask about that one

[quote name='bumnote' post='1099728' date='Jan 23 2011, 03:23 PM']I will try to drag him out and come over one jam night, he is a great guitar player[/quote]

Cool, let me know if you're going and I'll make sure I do too... if I can.

Cheers, Stuee.

P.S. Great avatar BTW :)

Edited by Stuee

[quote name='BottomE' post='1099798' date='Jan 23 2011, 04:40 PM']Hello,

i am am Dorset bass player. Next time you are coming down for a jam let me know. This is a gr8 place but be prepared for serious GAS!

Jerry[/quote]

Cheers Jerry, will do. Actually you probably missed the best jam of the year on New Year's Day, at Champion's in Bournemouth. I was on drums literally half the night with Pat Davey, Paul Stacey, Pete Case, Simon Wood, Scott McKeon and all sorts... didn't get to play bass once though! lol

Yep, already well GASsed up. I think I've got a buyer for half my liver though, so that EBS rig is one step closer :)

Hey Stuee! Welcome aboard - I just spotted your post about the Patrick Eggle Bass - sorry to hear of your 'loss' - That's a tastey looking instrument!

I also spotted that you are from Wilts, I was born there and - well I guess in comparison to where I am now - it was pretty near to Stone Henge too! heh!

[quote name='dood' post='1099921' date='Jan 23 2011, 06:27 PM']Hey Stuee! Welcome aboard - I just spotted your post about the Patrick Eggle Bass - sorry to hear of your 'loss' - That's a tastey looking instrument!

I also spotted that you are from Wilts, I was born there and - well I guess in comparison to where I am now - it was pretty near to Stone Henge too! heh![/quote]

Cheers dood, good to 'meet' you :)

I have to say I'm surprised you saw my post as it's already buried beneath the responses. I can't help feeling that the whole stolen gear thing would be much more functional as a sub forum rather than a thread. Then any responses would be contained within relevant topics and individual reports would stand a better chance of being seen. I'm sure most members can't be bothered to trawl through long threads, but wouldn't mind perusing topics as they arrive. Most of the responses are just people saying, "Ooh that sucks. I had something stolen once too. Good luck!" which is nice, but doesn't help at all.

Just my 2p :)

I'm actually from Bournemouth, but have been in Wilts for a long time now. Where is 'Predator Country'?! Sounds dangerous :lol:

Cheers, Stuee.

Edited by Stuee

[quote name='Stuee' post='1099806' date='Jan 23 2011, 04:46 PM']Cheers Jerry, will do. Actually you probably missed the best jam of the year on New Year's Day, at Champion's in Bournemouth. I was on drums literally half the night with Pat Davey, Paul Stacey, Pete Case, Simon Wood, Scott McKeon and all sorts... didn't get to play bass once though! lol

Yep, already well GASsed up. I think I've got a buyer for half my liver though, so that EBS rig is one step closer :)[/quote]

I know those guys. Sounds like i missed a treat.

I recently did a gig at Champions with a guy called Hamilton Loomis. He is amazing and had been selling out in other towns in the UK but only 20 people showed up for what was a great gig :)

This country!

[quote name='BottomE' post='1099960' date='Jan 23 2011, 07:03 PM']I know those guys. Sounds like i missed a treat.

I recently did a gig at Champions with a guy called Hamilton Loomis. He is amazing and had been selling out in other towns in the UK but only 20 people showed up for what was a great gig :)

This country![/quote]

Often the case at Champions, unfortunately. I think they need to work on their promotion as it has so much potential, but it only takes a few stories like that to stop the good artists coming.
Add to that the fact that Bournemouth is too cool for school (despite being one of the [i]least[/i] cool places in England - white trainers & XR3i's haha)

Oh well, we will persist! I'll keep an eye on Hamilton, but let me know if it occurs to you when you next gig.

Cheers, Stuee.