Why become a member? ×

Best 2x12

far0n

[quote name='bumnote' post='1098058' date='Jan 21 2011, 08:16 PM']I am very tempted to build a Bill Fitmaurice jack 12 or Jack 2x12.

I have had the plans for a while but its cold in my garage[/quote]

That's something I've been thinking about for ages. It must be very satisfying to gig with a cab you've made yourself and know it's a superior cab to almost all commercially produced cabs.

Frank.

For my money and here's a novel bc thing my actual money now in bass directs till as I own one the GB 212t neox is great, handles a low B really well but equally happy with a shed load of valve grind and a touch of auto wah too. Very loud if that's important to you, wheels built in made of rattle free rubber and light weight what more could you want? The only thing close or better depending on your personal taste is a pair of berg 1x12 for versatility but I think from doing an a b with a pair of purple chili 1x12's the volume drop will be significant also it works better to my ears all in one box. I will get a 1x12 soon either a berg or a GB , cheap no good yes.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='bumnote' post='1098058' date='Jan 21 2011, 08:16 PM']I am very tempted to build a Bill Fitmaurice jack 12 or Jack 2x12.

I have had the plans for a while but its cold in my garage[/quote]

A J212 is a big beastie - about the same size as an Omni 15. I'd go 2 X J112 for portability.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1097650' date='Jan 21 2011, 03:28 PM']Matamp and BF are VERY different.

If you want the whole Matamp/tube vibe, go for it with Matamp....im sure they will do you a deal on the amp and cabinet.[/quote]

Since you posted this, I keep looking at the Matamp site and trying to convince myself I can justify the expense :)

The best 2 x 12 that I've heard, by far, in a back to back comparison was Dave Perry's home built cab - totally awesome.

I put together a pair of Eminance neo drivers and a tweeter into an old lightweight discontinued Zoot 'box' and with a pre made panel/crossover it is totally awesome.

Dave P has now built a composite version of his cab and it remains to be seen how good that is (I'm expecting a lot).

My point? Commercially built cabs in the main aren't rocket science. The right sized box, well braced and well equipped with drivers and a decent crossover may turn out better than some 'commercial' big name products imo.

[quote name='headofire' post='1098521' date='Jan 22 2011, 11:52 AM'][url="http://217.64.194.186/products.php?lingua=en&cat=2&vedi=142"]http://217.64.194.186/products.php?lingua=...=2&vedi=142[/url]

Marco before Markbass first product was a 2x12 the musicman audiphile. They make 2 2x12's in their range im afraid your mistaken. This one of theirs is the best i've heard. large cab but mighty mighty big sounding[/quote]

Guess the OP was refering to the Standard range.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1098044' date='Jan 21 2011, 08:08 PM']No matter what way you look at it, the Barefaced cabs all have higher specification, more expensive, and superior performing drivers than any others. The cabinets are properly engineered too.

Unless you prefer the sound of inferior drivers breaking up (which is great on guitar amps) and some bass players do like that sound, that should be a big factor in your choosing process.

However, you only have to read a few threads on basschat to see that most player buy cabs based on looks. (Cue replies denying this) :)

Frank.[/quote]

IYO

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1098595' date='Jan 22 2011, 01:01 PM']IYO[/quote]

Agreed!

And I do understand people buying gear based mainly on looks.

For myself, I doubt if I'd buy a guitar if I really hated the looks.

I have to say though, I do find it hard to understand why anyone would knowingly pay a higher price for a lower specification cab and accept a lower performance just so they can turn round and look at it and think " That's lovely".

But I know they do. So it just goes to show that we're all different and surely it would be a boring world if we were all the same?

For a start, I would be robbed of the opportunity of feeling smug about my gear. :) :)

Frank.

Editted to add smily. My tongue is firmly in my cheek with the above.

Edited by machinehead

Another vote for the EBS 2x12 Neo.

It handles anything I throw at it with aplomb, it works equally well with Burman and Markbass heads, it handles the V-Bass synthesiser sounds brilliantly, punches through the band sound and is unfeasibly light. It has a slight mid-scoop but you can eq that back in if you don't happen to like it (I do).

Does rather assume all the Xmax's are the same though? :-)

[quote name='far0n' post='1098694' date='Jan 22 2011, 02:54 PM']Me being a complete úber geek I thought I'd calculate the total cone areas of each cab....

2x10" - 157 square inches
2x12" - 226
1x15" - 177

Looks like the 2x12 will shift some air !!![/quote]

[quote name='far0n' post='1098694' date='Jan 22 2011, 02:54 PM']Me being a complete úber geek I thought I'd calculate the total cone areas of each cab....

2x10" - 157 square inches
2x12" - 226
1x15" - 177

Looks like the 2x12 will shift some air !!![/quote]

You're halfway there! You need to figure in that the nominal cone size (i.e. 10", 12" or 15") isn't the diameter of the radiating area (which is about 1.5" smaller) - consequently the smaller the woofer, the less accurate your cone area calculation is. The second issue is that to move air you need a third dimension, the distance the speaker can move back and forth.

More here: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/Volume-displacement.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/technical-informa...isplacement.htm[/url] (please ignore the sales spiel, you can buy what you want, just read the facts as they apply to every moving cone loudspeaker!)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1098744' date='Jan 22 2011, 03:37 PM']You're halfway there! You need to figure in that the nominal cone size (i.e. 10", 12" or 15") isn't the diameter of the radiating area (which is about 1.5" smaller) - consequently the smaller the woofer, the less accurate your cone area calculation is. The second issue is that to move air you need a third dimension, the distance the speaker can move back and forth.

More here: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/Volume-displacement.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/technical-informa...isplacement.htm[/url] (please ignore the sales spiel, you can buy what you want, just read the facts as they apply to every moving cone loudspeaker!)[/quote]

So a 15" cone isn't ? Blimey.. in all the years I've been playing.. I didn't know that ! I blame the EU !!!!