Why become a member? ×

All Right Now

arthurhenry

This song seems to get mentioned a lot in various threads, but have you noticed how many players get the solo section wrong (or perhaps take the easy way out) and don't keep the rhythm going on the open A under the high G/D/F#/D bit?
There was a video lesson with James Lomenzo (great player) where he strangely talked about the trickiness of getting back to the 5th fret A after the high notes. Why fret the note when you've just been playing the open string?!
Fraser played it all on open A. There's a tricky bit of muting to be done when crossing strings, but it's worth it.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1094343' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:13 PM']This song seems to get mentioned a lot in various threads, but have you noticed how many players get the solo section wrong (or perhaps take the easy way out) and don't keep the rhythm going on the open A [size=5]under the high G/D/F#/D bit?[/size]There was a video lesson with James Lomenzo (great player) where he strangely talked about the trickiness of getting back to the 5th fret A after the high notes. Why fret the note when you've just been playing the open string?!
Fraser played it all on open A. There's a tricky bit of muting to be done when crossing strings, but it's worth it.[/quote]
I play that bit as harmonics on the 5th 3rd and 4th frets on the G and D strings.

Our guitarist is a massive Free / Bad Co fan. He's the only guitard I know who plays it exactly right, he gets really wound up when it's played wrong.

He now has a slight problem though because I refuse to play it, as I'm sick to the back teeth of it, even to the point I turn the radio off if it comes on. :)

Tad confused here. I've always played the bass part under the solo on the E. I've also always played the high part as G/G octave/F#/F# octave (to be honest, I often cop out and play this part starting on the 3rd fret, but if I'm feeling brave I'll go up and down from the 15th). So have I been playing it completely wrong for the last xx years?

I left a band after just a handful of rehearsals at the end of last year when they were adamant it was on the set list. I really like Free but just point blank refuse to play the song.

On the 2 occasions, I might add in the privacy of my own home, I've played along to it, I've fretted the A after the high notes. The reason? Muting, simple as that.

Saw a guy on NYE's play it, shall we say very differently. The A,E,Gb he played up around the 7th fret then climbed to the higher frets. Sounded lousy to me as he somewhat missed the point of the contrast created by going up 2 octaves. He also missed out the other little fills and the chromatic climb. Damned amateur :)

[quote name='northstreet' post='1094397' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:36 PM']Tad confused here. I've always played the bass part under the solo on the E. I've also always played the high part as G/G octave/F#/F# octave (to be honest, I often cop out and play this part starting on the 3rd fret, but if I'm feeling brave I'll go up and down from the 15th). So have I been playing it completely wrong for the last xx years?[/quote]
The high notes are G 17th fret D string, D 19th fret G string, then F# D, with an open A part underneath at the same time. Bar some tricky muting, it's then easier to stay on the open A with the F# and E naturally on the E string.

[quote name='theosd' post='1094554' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:20 PM']I hope I never have to play this song again. Anything else by Free, sure. Just not this! Please not this!![/quote]
I agree almost entirely, I'd just add Wishing Well too.

Why don't people play Songs of Yesterday or something? They did 7 albums!

Songsterr's got it right: [url="http://www.songsterr.com/a/wa/song?trackPos=0&id=7743"]http://www.songsterr.com/a/wa/song?trackPos=0&id=7743[/url]

(unlike other well-known tab sites I could mention)

Also, the original version has a few bars rest before the solo starts, gives you a few moments to think "nah i'll be fine gulp ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit how do I do it again aieee"

A deceptively tricky piece to get right! I suspect a bit of thumb-middle-thumb-index will help with the plucking hand.

[quote name='Johngh' post='1094395' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:35 PM']Our guitarist is a massive Free / Bad Co fan. He's the only guitard I know who plays it exactly right, he gets really wound up when it's played wrong.

He now has a slight problem though because I refuse to play it, as I'm sick to the back teeth of it, even to the point I turn the radio off if it comes on. :)[/quote]

Strangely,I turn the radio UP every time it comes on.It has everything,a good solid beat,searing guitar,innovative bassline,all topped of with God-given vocals.What more do you want?? :lol: This however doe not include the crappy re-release with the doctored drum sound.That sounds like a pop song. :)

A local cover band do Wishing Well and it gets a much better response than All Right Now.
Probably because people that can't sing find it easier to get along with it. All Right Now's got some odd and very interperative vocal lines that will make you look like an idiot if you try to sing along and get it wrong!

Truckstop