Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady Bass

buff

[quote name='buff' post='1094197' date='Jan 18 2011, 06:43 PM']Now that ive finally got one, im not to sure i'll be keeping it. Im finding because of the strap position on the neck, instead of the top horn. The bass does'nt tuck in like a bass with a strap button on the top horn, so its a constant battle not getting a raw arm off the edge of the bass. Sound wise i know people have raved about the sound from these, but compaired to my squier jaguar that fitted with a wizard thumper it sound's pretty wooly. Am i expected to much ? anyone who's owned one got any advice ?[/quote]

Awful tone, bad balance and poor playability was my experience with these basses.

I've played a couple of these, one was horrible, one was simply amasing! The first one was in a shop, strung with rounds, sounded really quite bad in my opinion. no mater what settings I had, where I played, it always just sounded wrong to me...Then I had the joy of playing a friends one, strung with flats (Chromes I believe), intonation/neck all properly sorted (the shop one was aweful! How they thought they'd sell it in that condition is beyond me!) and it was lovely to play! Really seemed to change the way the bass felt, although the different amp may well have had something to do with it I guess...I've not played one on a strap, so I dunno about neck dive issues really, al I know is sitting down with it on my knee was kinda uncomfy, given the large body...

I definitely want one though! I reckon you should string it with flats, give it a go just incase :) You may end up with a whole new bass, one you really enjoy! :)

Got myself a 3inch wide leather strap yesterday from [url="http://www.bulldogproducts.co.uk/guitarstraps.htm"]http://www.bulldogproducts.co.uk/guitarstraps.htm[/url] as they're local to me. And its cut down on the neck dive, due to i suppose more grip on the shoulder. A lot of people recommend putting hipshot bridges on epi's, which also due to weight cut's down on neck dive. Have a few people getting back to me on pick up's at present. Watch this space !!!

Edited by buff

• 3 weeks later...

At present have tried three different pick up maker's but no joy, Bare knuckle dont do anything, tv jones have one that would fit but have'nt got back to me about the sound etc, wizard could have something that would fit (im hoping they do) but there is the possiblility either a bartolini or seymour duncan rickenbacker bridge pick up would fit with no problem's, as its a smaller pick up than the jack pick up.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='basskit_case' post='1138584' date='Feb 23 2011, 02:04 PM']Hijack time

Just Wondering what model gigbag or case Casady owners were using, l have been looking for the Epiphone Casady hardcase but cannot find anywhere? :)

Cheers[/quote]

It's very difficult. When I was looking for one for my Starfire, I never found a retailer with one in stock - even when it said they had one online, it mysteriously disappeared when I phoned. You might have more luck if you contact a shop you trust and see if they can order one.

I ended up with a Warwick Premium Acoustic Bass gigbag. There was a seller on ebay that sells them for about £60. They're huge, too big really, but there's so much padding it held the Starfire quite securely.

It's [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Acoustic-Bass-GigBag-Premium-Range-NEW-/270652439109"]this one[/url] I think.

[quote name='basskit_case' post='1138584' date='Feb 23 2011, 02:04 PM']Hijack time

Just Wondering what model gigbag or case Casady owners were using, l have been looking for the Epiphone Casady hardcase but cannot find anywhere? :)

Cheers[/quote]

I've got the puka Epiphone branded HSC, great case - perfect fit.

[quote name='buff' post='1094270' date='Jan 18 2011, 07:32 PM']Im finding at the moment the sound to my ear's is lacking a bit, ive heard people saying they sound similar to a ricki. But as yet i cant hear it myself.[/quote]

There is no comparison to a Ric and an Epi JC.

The Ric is a far superior beast with a totally different sound to it. I have owned a JC in the past and although it was a nice novelty to play with, I moved it on quite sharpish when I realised it just wasnt for me.

Nice to look at however the novelty value wore off and I was left with an uncomfortable to play Epiphone.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='basskit_case' post='1138584' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:04 PM']Hijack time

Cheers[/quote]

I have found the case in stock on [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_epjac700_basskoffer.htm"]Thomann[/url] for £84, just need to wait for payday. :)

• 1 month later...

Good evening, all...
There used to be a 'Mod Bar' available for Epi's, and notably the JC, which fitted to the bridge, forcing the strings to go around before getting to the saddles. This meant, for strings with silk windings, that the slik was not on the saddles, hampering tone. There is also some weight added to the bridge, helping with neck dive, and sustain.
I can't seem to find this any more, but the 'inventor' was Evan Webb. An easy reversible add-on which, I believe, improves an already great bass.
Hope this helps...

Edit: Just found this (a recently ended 'bay sale showing the bar...)...
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=300545974170&nma=true&rt=nc&si=c0EuRtifV4LJ7Mkh6STmKKNvs0Q%253D"]Epi 'Mod Bar' on 'bay (recent sale has ended...)[/url]

Edited by Dad3353

• 8 months later...

Hello all

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I picked a JC up from Krispn before Christmas, who got it from Tredders, who had himself got it from Buff, so nothing like keeping it in the family!

While I would agree these aren't the most ergonomic basses out there compared to some available these days, I have to say you get a hell of a lot of bang for your buck.

My observations so far:

i) The nut on this bass was poorly cut - way too high - so I reprofiled it to make it play more comfortably in first position. Much faster and effortless to play now, especially combined with a tweak of the truss rod to straighten the neck and a drop of the action at the bridge.

ii) Flats are definitely the way to go! I've got La Bella 760FS on mine and they sound fantastic!

iii) The pickup in this bass is a gem, and the impedance selector works really well (although the quality of the hardware on the bass is pretty meh overall...) when you combine it with the tone control. It's not a bass to turn volume and tone to 10 and just play, you really need to experiment to see what sounds good.

iv) The Hipshot Supertone bridge upgrade solves neck dive totally. I'm only using a 2.5" wide strap and the bass balances perfectly.

Cheers all

Gareth

I had one in the gold finish, it is by far one of the best bass's in it's price range and the best from epiphone.

The impendence selector is great and the pickup position it's self gives one of a few alternative precision bass sounds that are actually usable, and good.
I also agree about flats on this bass, very good and you get that double bass sort of sound with flats and the impendance selector, never really found it wooly or undefined though.

The one thing that let it down it down was of course the stoopid 3 point bridge, if I had kept it I would have changed it for one of those 3 point replacments. Alos having to have a hardcase for it was restricting on me as I have to walk everywhere with my gear.

If I had the cash I'd definatly have one again.

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1327427921' post='1511089']
I so much wanted to love it, but the sound wasnt there for me.
[/quote]

Strange isn't it, but I guess it just goes to show how we all hear things in different ways. I think it's an incredibly versatile bass, far more than a Precision for example.