Why become a member? ×

Unknown Luthiers?

ovialexm1

I tend to agree. The market for basses of this nature is a bit squahed because there are so many traditionalists around.

But to be honest, I find the majority of these sorts of luthiers don't really have much of an aesthetic, they often look like glorified ugly Wishbasses. I'm tired of seeing multi-laminate and stupidly shaped daftwood bodies and 87 piece necks, and fancy neck thru coffee tables. But I suppose they appeal to those bassists who like to be reminded of their home.

However, this guy looks pretty decent and the rear scoop on that SC looks really well designed.

That is quite a good point. I have come across a few Brazilian luthiers whose work appears excellent. Quite innovative, too. But without any references, how can one prevent the possibility of ending up with a (too expensive) lemon?

Edited by setekh

[quote name='setekh' post='1092635' date='Jan 17 2011, 03:44 PM']That is quite a good point. I have come across a few Brazilian luthiers whose work appears excellent. Quite innovative, too. But without any references, how can one prevent the possibility of ending up with a (too expensive) lemon?[/quote]

+1

One of the problems is that even if it's not a lemon, if it doesn't suit the owner it may be very difficult to sell it on. Mind you seeing the price you were sellling this Grosmann for I'd have been very tempted to take my chances on it had I see the sale thread (and had any money at the time :)).

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1097278' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:31 AM']sounds like a shamelessly badly disguised ad to me.[/quote]

So what? I now know about a luthier I previously knew nothing about. Sharing information like that can only serve to enrich the amount of information available on basschat.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1097278' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:31 AM']sounds like a shamelessly badly disguised ad to me.[/quote]

It might well be an advert, thats what it looks like. But surely Ovi has every right to tip us off about good luthiers? Ovi knows his basses and has had some fantastic instruments. Ovi, who bought that Yuka bass from you?

[quote name='silddx' post='1097302' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:46 AM']yoove got a right attitude you, incha?

:)[/quote]
and you should see the size of my balls!
no really i'm not that bad. although i think the freak doesn't like me very much.
i wasn't having a go. i just thought it wierd the way it seemed to be disguised as a non affiliated post. just a joke really (bad joke thread?) keyboards do not convey true emotions as we all know. there seem to be a few folks takin things awfully seriously. i'll get me coat.

[quote name='ovialexm1' post='1097469' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:27 PM']Chris, K-sad from France bought that bass from me. :)[/quote]

Bugger, still too far for me to buy it then! That Russian luthier who made that awesome Monarch bass for you, I loved that. If he was selling those in the UK he'd make a killing!

He may well be an excellent luthier, but one glance at that Home Page was enough to have me hit the Quit button.

I don't know which irritated me more - the "How Metal Am I?" poses being adopted, the ludicrous spikiness of everything in sight, or the prominently displayed band name [b][color="#0000FF"]Rotting Christ [/color][/b]... and I'm not even a Christian.

No offence Jack, I think you're over-exaggerating a bit there. The V is a bit pointy - it's hardly BC Rich standard though. I don't really see 'How Metal Am I?" poses either, I just see 3 fairly standard "I'm Holding A Guitar" poses that you'll see on many a guitar maker's website by many types of musician - I think you're seeing the hair, the tattoos and the band names and making an unfair inference there.

As for 'Rotting Christ', well, fair enough. Doesn't bother me, they're not exactly my favourite band (and certainly not Dave Mustaine's) but there are plenty of worse band names out there in my opinion.

Edited by Maverick