Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender introduce new Mark Hoppus Sig Bass

absolutpepper

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2011-fender-updates-mark-hoppus-signature-jazz-bass-357808"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/nam...azz-bass-357808[/url]

Although not a fan I have to admit I do like the aesthetics of this although i'm not so sure about the choice to reverse the pickup arrangement. An interesting experiment nonetheless, I look forward to hearing how it sounds.

I do love NAMM time haha.

I like the pup like that & it looks alright to me (although I wouldn't buy one on the grounds that I'm a similar age to, well, Mark Hoppus himself actually!?!

Then I saw the bit that said "Mark Hoppus signature Jazz Bass with gig bag: £766.80." A second hand original one normally goes for £300. Say no more

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1089074' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:04 AM']I like the pup like that & it looks alright to me (although I wouldn't buy one on the grounds that I'm a similar age to, well, Mark Hoppus himself actually!?!

Then I saw the bit that said "Mark Hoppus signature Jazz Bass with gig bag: £766.80." A second hand original one normally goes for £300. Say no more[/quote]

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I wouldn't say that its significantly different enough to justify the price, also i'm not quite sure where its made, probably MIM.

Not a bass that I would rush out and buy, but I have often thought that the reverse P makes a fair bit of sense in theory, more beef on the higher strings and tighter on the bottom (ooh er missus) whether it would actually make any audible difference would be interesting if you compared back to back?

I've always been a massive fan of the Mark Hoppus bass and recently finally got my hands on one. I'm glad I got the old one, I really don't like the new ones; the colours don't look right, the reverse pickup just looks wrong, and I prefer the smaller logo.

To me all the changes they've made have been for the worse. There's literally not a single change I like there. Admittedly I have a reverse P pickup in my Taitycaster, but honestly I don't think it makes that much of a difference and it looks alright there, but not on the Mark Hoppus, it just looks wrong.

[quote name='Tait' post='1089163' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:55 AM']I've always been a massive fan of the Mark Hoppus bass and recently finally got my hands on one. I'm glad I got the old one, I really don't like the new ones; the colours don't look right, the reverse pickup just looks wrong, and I prefer the smaller logo.

To me all the changes they've made have been for the worse. There's literally not a single change I like there. Admittedly I have a reverse P pickup in my Taitycaster, but honestly I don't think it makes that much of a difference and it looks alright there, but not on the Mark Hoppus, it just looks wrong.[/quote]

I like the string through body...does the original come with that?

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1089110' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:22 AM']£760 versus £360?

That £400, or so, settles the argument for me. It looks great, I'm just not sure where the additional £400 of value in the instrument is.[/quote]

The £400 difference? The pick up is reversed,so that Blink fanboys will spend money and convince themselves that it sounds totally different from the old model.
I'm not convinced that a reverse P pickup makes that much (if any) difference. If there is a small difference,it will be unnoticeable in 99% of situations.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1089069' date='Jan 14 2011, 10:56 AM']Reverse P is the way to be. :)[/quote]

My Charvel 2B has reverse P pups. TBH I didn't even notice untill it was mentioned on here, and I've had it for over 20 years. It sound meaty though.

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='1089165' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:57 AM']I like the string through body...does the original come with that?[/quote]

Yeah the original was string through.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1089314' date='Jan 14 2011, 01:33 PM']Have they reversed the arrangement of the whole pickup, or just moved the DG side and left the EA where it always was?

Hope this makes sense! :)[/quote]

I think I read somewhere that they had simply moved the DG, and it looks like that to me when you look at the picture. But I'm not 100%, I can't remember where I saw that.

• 4 weeks later...

had the joy of playing one of the new models today and its actually quite good
played great and sounded great, better than a lot of the mexican p basses ive played
and its only 549. it seems expensive for a mex but i think its worth it personally

thanks

ian

Edited by ianSB

[quote name='ianSB' post='1123266' date='Feb 10 2011, 09:46 PM']had the joy of playing one of the new models today and its actually quite good
played great and sounded great, better than a lot of the mexican p basses ive played
and its only 549. it seems expensive for a mex but i think its worth it personally

thanks

ian[/quote]

PMT Leeds by any chance??

i played the white one there last week and was quite impressed to be honest! :)