Why become a member? ×

SBMM Ray34CA (Classic Active)

dave_bass5

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1083002' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:27 AM']Presumably they are confident that it won't come close to a 2eq 'ray and subsequently impact on sales. Either that or they've not learned their lesson from the SUB.[/quote]

I expect this will get the same negative response from people who already know how these play and sound, and will suggest getting a second hand SR4 instead ;-)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1083018' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:44 AM']True.

I didn't see your edit of the spec.
There looks to be enough of a difference between these and their big brothers (slab body, J width neck) to not encroach upon business. In fact I can see why they've done it now. :)[/quote]

Yea,h i forgot to post the specs the first time around.

Considering its got a slim neck and is based on the 2EQ i think the price difference will be greater between this and a real MM with the same spec.
I've been after a SLO for ages but they are way out of my price range, this might be ideal. Its also in exactly the right colour as i miss my MIA Jazz with 3TSB and maple neck.

Right then, who wants t buy a HW-one Jazz lol

Edited by dave_bass5

And they do it in mint green too fantastic, ive been lusting after a MG classic ray since they came out, but alas nearly 2k is not going to be available to me anytime soon !! so the ray34ca might be a viable option, a shame the green one doesnt have a maple board though i really would be foaming at the mouth!!! HA HA geddit foaming!!!

Well im glad i got my CV jazz instead of purchasing the Ray34. Means i can find one these

This looks like a corker! Slim Glossy Maple neck.......i take it the pup is Alnico?
Also, as its a Classic ray, i can see that theyve gone back to the original 2 'tabs' on the top of the pickup. I find this much more comftable for thumb placement. That was why i didnt jump straight in for the Ray34, that and it needed a decent setup.

Ahhhhhhhh GAS overload........ :) :) :lol:

Any other finishes annouced? The Swamp Ash in Natural finsh looks sexy!

These are uninspiring to me, I have played a couple of the EBMM's real classic series and I've found them to be no where near the vibe and sound of a real 79's pre EB Stingray, and as for these Sterling ones, why oh why didn't they fit mutes in the bridges like EBMM has done? Personally I'd be happier spending that money on a MusicMan SUB 5 strings in Cinnamon if I could get hold of one.

Having owned a Ray34 and loved it, and having owned an Sub and liked it but felt it felt a bit cheap im looking forward to the new Ray34.
Not saying i will get one but it certainly appeals to me more than any other non SLO MM ive seen, mainly for the neck size. And no way would i pay full price for a SR4 SLO.
I wouldn't want mutes on so at least i wouldn't be paying for something i didn't want.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1083108' date='Jan 9 2011, 01:07 PM']These are uninspiring to me, I have played a couple of the EBMM's real classic series and I've found them to be no where near the vibe and sound of a real 79's pre EB Stingray, and as for these Sterling ones, why oh why didn't they fit mutes in the bridges like EBMM has done? Personally I'd be happier spending that money on a MusicMan SUB 5 strings in Cinnamon if I could get hold of one.[/quote]

+1 the new classic is still much brighter than a pre EB , It was quite nice but for the same price you can have a real pre EB. It will be interesting to compare the body shapes as the Ray34 isn't the same shape as an EBMM . I wonder if it's away of using old stock sub body's with the old style pups they have left? Wise enough move if it is.

No mutes or strung through , lesser quality body material made somewhere else and not the same shape (quite) if it's comparable to the SB34 but that's going to be less of an issue as they are a lot less likely to be alongside a classic or pre EB than a 34 is going to be next to a EBMM SR4. There are loads of comments that the 34 is identical to a real one from people who say they used to have the real version, the body contour is twice as thick and the arm chamfeur is half the size of a real ones so I have started to dismiss those comments, They also lack the thump of a real ray presumably due to cheaper preamp (light weight pots I noticed too) but as these are meant to have the same pre amp as my pre EB and the contours are deleted anyway they might sound and feel a lot closer to the real classic?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1083605' date='Jan 9 2011, 09:07 PM']It's not me that has said they are identical and better than a real one! There are many times it's been said in other threads.[/quote]

....by the same few people ;-)

So why are these people who prefer their SBMM's wrong? Im not arguing the tone thing, i really couldn't say, but i personally didnt like the 2 SR4's i played in a shop, yet i loved the Ray34. For me the price was more attractive and i got a nicer playing, looking and sounding bass. IMO & IME of course but that's just as valid as anyone's.

Im not sure why no one would believe me, but i guess it will be the same reaction over me thinking the SUB was inferior in almost every way to my Ray34.

Im sure these new basses wont be as nice as the real thing to those who have either owned one or done a side by side comparison, nor will they sound the same, but considering the cost of the real thing, with a Jazz neck, there is no way i would be able to afford one and dont think i will need to now.

And if i remember correctly Gareth (Musicman20) had to send his back due to a very poor neck heal/joint. Not good for a bass costing that much.

No offence meant in any of my posts, but i take exception to people telling me my own feelings are wrong.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1083692' date='Jan 9 2011, 10:23 PM']Aren't they both ash?[/quote]

No, classic ray is specified as ash only presumably to recreate the original . Normal SR4/5 are listed as selected hardwoods it used to specify which but has been made less clear now. Alder was certainly included before and swamp ash I think most are made of? Poplar possibly too,Anyone else know?