Why become a member? ×

Squier CV Jazz or Fiesta Red Precision?

Musicman20

Long story short, I should be touring quite heavily with my old band who want me to join again.

I need a nice budget bass I can take to Europe and possibly Canada that I dont have to worry about!

Basically, which CV model screams 'awesome'?! I know they are both great, but which really nails it?!

Im thinking Fiesta Red P as I love Fiesta Red!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1079171' date='Jan 5 2011, 09:11 PM']Long story short, I should be touring quite heavily with my old band who want me to join again.

I need a nice budget bass I can take to Europe and possibly Canada that I dont have to worry about!

Basically, which CV model screams 'awesome'?! I know they are both great, but which really nails it?!

Im thinking Fiesta Red P as I love Fiesta Red![/quote]

PM me if you like, I have a fiesta red CV precision you can test drive, no probs. And I'm local.

Steve

I think this is more a Jazz vs Precision question!

I'm not opening that can of worms.....

I've never been a big Jazz fan, so, +1 on the Fiesta Red P!

My roadworn is fiesta red. Great colour!

As far as I understand though, the Fiesta Red P and Oly white CV jazz were the best of the CV bunch. (even though they were all good, but ya get my drift!)

LOL, what happened to the £70 bass Gareth ;-)

As you know i have both these basses but i do think the CV Jazz looks and feels a bit classier. But then again, i prefer the look of a Jazz bass, and dont like Fiesta red.

I do think its a bit sad that you have £1000's worth of basses but you wont use them. I understand your thinking but i always think a nice bass should be played.

Edited by dave_bass5

Save yourself the money Gareth and use your MIA Precision. The wear and tear will in all probability cost you less (if anything at all) than buying a "cheap backup". And you will be playing an awesome bass you can 100% rely on and know well. Or use your Stingray 4. Thats my twopenn'orth!

PS, great news about the tour

I wouldn't tour with just a Squier bass, especially abroad. I have a 51 reissue P which is an awesome bass but.......

Trouble is they're all over £100 so it's a non starter anyway :)

Edited by tom1946

[quote name='Clarky' post='1079462' date='Jan 6 2011, 07:44 AM']Save yourself the money Gareth and use your MIA Precision. The wear and tear will in all probability cost you less (if anything at all) than buying a "cheap backup". And you will be playing an awesome bass you can 100% rely on and know well. Or use your Stingray 4. Thats my twopenn'orth!

PS, great news about the tour[/quote]

+1 to that - Just take the MIA P. Whats the point in having it if you're not going to play it out?

[quote name='tom1946' post='1079516' date='Jan 6 2011, 09:33 AM']I wouldn't tour with just a Squier bass, especially abroad. I have a 51 reissue P which is an awesome bass but.......

Trouble is they're all over £100 so it's a non starter anyway :)[/quote]

Problem is, the band isnt exactly the type of band you'd use a £1500 bass with. Studio? Yes. Live with the crowd going absolutely mad and the vocalist chucking himself around in front of you? Nope.

It isnt the usual band we think of when it comes to live work. For them, its about putting on a very energetic and lively show....so Id hate to have anything happen.

£100 - I actually found 2-3 budget Ps and Js brand new for that, Thomann, ebay and Gear4Music, but if im looking for a decent budget bass, I may as well get the Squier CV.

:)

[quote name='sk8' post='1079559' date='Jan 6 2011, 10:12 AM']+1 to that - Just take the MIA P. Whats the point in having it if you're not going to play it out?[/quote]

Lively lively lively shows.

Hardcore punk is awesome to play live but after some very crazy live shows with them before, Im being careful. Not so much for shows in the UK, but when I have no control over how the bass is stored etc...thats another thing when we are in Canada.

For an example, youtube Comeback Kid live shows, or BANE live shows. They sometimes play larger stages so thats different, but on the smaller stages it gets very frantic.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1079563' date='Jan 6 2011, 10:14 AM']Lively lively lively shows.

Hardcore punk is awesome to play live but after some very crazy live shows with them before, Im being careful. Not so much for shows in the UK, but when I have no control over how the bass is stored etc...thats another thing when we are in Canada.

For an example, youtube Comeback Kid live shows, or BANE live shows. They sometimes play larger stages so thats different, but on the smaller stages it gets very frantic.[/quote]

Ah right, i get you.
What about something in the middle, maybe a HW-one. These are workhorse basses. Good hardware, Reinforced neck, play well and should stand up to being tortured a bit more than a Squier. If the gigs are as rough as they sound then you dont want something falling apart on the gig.

Oh, and good luck with the gigs.

[quote name='tom1946' post='1079516' date='Jan 6 2011, 09:33 AM']I wouldn't tour with just a Squier bass, especially abroad. I have a 51 reissue P which is an awesome bass but.......

Trouble is they're all over £100 so it's a non starter anyway :)[/quote]

But if you go on tour with a Squier, and anything happens to it, then you can almost certainly pop into a local shop and buy a replacement off the shelf.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1079582' date='Jan 6 2011, 10:29 AM']Ah right, i get you.
What about something in the middle, maybe a HW-one. These are workhorse basses. Good hardware, Reinforced neck, play well and should stand up to being tortured a bit more than a Squier. If the gigs are as rough as they sound then you dont want something falling apart on the gig.

Oh, and good luck with the gigs.[/quote]

Ill definitely check it out.

My MIJ P Bass withstood many a live show no problems, with no upgrades. I was careful with it.

When we play the larger gigs in the UK, ill be taking a Ray I think.

Looks like I bought [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=106176&hl="]mine [/url]at the right time!
I had it up for sale a couple of weeks back but withdrew it due to a drastic change in my financial well-being.
I can afford to keep it now, which is good as I do love it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1079743' date='Jan 6 2011, 12:41 PM']3 at once Spongebobs at once! Arggghhh!

Fiesta Red P bass wins I reckon. I assume as Ive been playing P basses in that band mainly since day 1, thats the best bet.[/quote]

Bob rules lol.

Once thing to watch out for is the vintage frets. I love them, and this was a big plus point (Lakland use this type of fret) but some people dont like them.