Why become a member? ×

Clip on tuners. Anyone use them?

dave_bass5

Im thinking of getting one of the new Peterson StroboClip Tuner's but ive not used a clip on before (no strap on jokes please;-)

Im sure the Peterson is all its cracked up to be but is this type of tuner just as reliable as a normal tuner?

My singer uses a cheap one on his guitar and i dont know if its the tuner or the guitar but he never seems to sound 100% in tune.

Cheers.

Looks pricey, more than a decent tuner pedal. The cheap clip-on ones i've used have been pretty rubbish with bass, this will most likely be accurate though. Are you wanting to use it as your main tuner at gigs for silent tuning?

I've been using a Korg Pitchjack (around £15), recommended on here by wpd i think, it's a jack tuner and is great for the money. Everyone who's tried mine has bought one.

Cheers.

Yeah, its not cheap, but then the all the Peterson's are pricey.

yes, its for gigs although i will use it at home as well. I dont "need" this sort of accuracy, but it would be nice to have.
At the moment im using a Korg GT4 attached to the Tuner out on my amp and this works well but i want something that doesn't use a lead. i had thought about the Pitch Jack and it looks pretty good but i really like the idea of a strobe tuner.

Edited by dave_bass5

I'm using a Crafter TG 200H, both for electric and upright. Think this was the best invested 15 Euros during the last years. Simple, reliable, efficient - and you don't have to turn your back to the audience as you do when using a rack-based system.

Concerning accuracy ..... sufficient for Pop and Rock. Main reason for tuning oddities in my bands is the guitarplayers getting weak in tune - and me compensating (at least on the fretless :-)

Tom

Edited by tom5string

Cheers Tom.

I guess they must work ok, otherwise no one would buy them. I really like the idea of just being able to clip it on during sound check/gig without having to unplug anything. If my amp had a mute button (other than the volume knob) i would be sorted but i dont like cables or having to plug and unplug things, and im not going to use a peddle tuner.

Its an extravagance that would make life a bit easier but at a cost. To be honest i don't think £60 is too much for the accuracy it would bring, especially for doing set-ups at home.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1078573' date='Jan 5 2011, 02:11 PM']I love my Pitchjack. Other than a rack tuner, I don't think I'd bother with anything else.[/quote]

Like i said, i know its an extravagance and i guess this is more GAS than anything else but i can see it being the most convenient way of tuning.
unless i get something that offers more than the GT4 then there is no point buying a new tuner IMO, thats why the PitchJack doent really tick all the right boxes, but i feel the Peterson will be more useful, especially at home. I also have a semi acoustic, and my son has a Sponge bob acoustic thats in bad need of a set up.

I dont really need to tune up during gigs. I normally check it one at the start and that's it.

Edited by dave_bass5

I use the IntelliTouch PT-10 on my DB and my electric basses. Could not be easier. [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories/tuners/intellitouch"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories...rs/intellitouch[/url]

It stays on the DB bridge while playing live. For my electrics I just clip it on the headstock and tune up then take it off again which is very uselful during set-ups. For a gig, mind you, I would still go through my Polytuner as its too fiddly to keep taking the IntelliTouch on and off.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1078591' date='Jan 5 2011, 02:21 PM']I use the IntelliTouch PT-10 on my DB and my electric basses. Could not be easier. [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories/tuners/intellitouch"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories...rs/intellitouch[/url]

It stays on the DB bridge while playing live. For my electrics I just clip it on the headstock and tune up then take it off again which is very uselful during set-ups. For a gig, mind you, I would still go through my Polytuner as its too fiddly to keep taking the IntelliTouch on and off.[/quote]

Cheers Clarky.

That looks pretty nice, and pretty cheap. I wouldnt keep one on my bass during the gig either, but then ive never needed to use one once my bass is in tune. I guess im just lucky.

I always use one of these: [url="http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=1311"]http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=1311[/url]

Clips onto the headstock in a reasonably unintrusive way, uses vibrations rather than a mic so it can be used on-stage regardless of what else is happening, can be lent to sloppy musicians who turn up without their own tuner, no need for jack plugs, etc.

Regarding Chris's point (above) about recognising bass notes, IME all clip-on tuners work much better for bass if you tune to 12th-fret harmonics.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1078537' date='Jan 5 2011, 01:38 PM']I've used a guitar clip on tuner and it wouldn't recognise open A, E or B strings. So make sure it can go low enough for bass.[/quote]

Mine wasnt much cop either. Bought a plug in Korg instead. [i]Thats[/i] why your guitard is never in tune.

Edited by daz

Just a quick update.

The tuner arrived and it works very well. Tried it on my 3 basses, my Yamaha A1 semi acoustic and also my sons toy Sponge Bob guitar. All tuned perfectly. I also found it a bit easier to get the intonation spot on over my GT4, although i guess that might just be getting a bit too anal about the tuning as it sounded ok before.

It doesn't feel like a £60 tuner though. It feels quite cheap and looks like it could easily get broken if im not careful with it. The tin box is quite big and very well padded so i might keep in it that for a while.
It has quite a few tuning options, including some i cant imagine ever using (in fact none of them) but i guess its there if i ever do need it.

I am happy with it though, and i hope im going to find it makes life a bit easier at gigs.

[attachment=68355:Mon_10_Jan_0573.jpg]

[attachment=68356:Mon_10_Jan_0574.jpg]

[attachment=68357:Mon_10_Jan_0575.jpg]