Why become a member? ×

Squier CV v Fender HW1 P bass

aceuggy

I currently play a Squier CV 60's P. I like this bass. I have not had much experience of playing other basses but have lately gassed for a Fender, for no other reason than it's a Fender! I like the look of the HW1 and it's within a reasonable budget for me. I know you will say I should get out and play one to make up my own mind and I will do that, but I am interested to have your opinions. Is the HW1 a good upgrade, or should I stick with what I have?

Edited by aceuggy

I did a pimp job on a H1 P and that was a fine bass - It was even better after I'd finished it -

It is a great MIA Fender IMO, but be prepared for the paint to be deliacate tho' as its thin & cellulose (its dedsigned that way to look used quicker!).

If its a worthy upgrade? only you know that, but I would say that an H1 is an excellent platform from which to make your ultimate fender P. A Squire CV will still be a Squire CV and however much you want to kid yourself and others, it isnt a Fender.

But ultimately the choice is yours....

[quote name='aceuggy' post='1075462' date='Jan 2 2011, 04:52 PM']I currently play a Squier CV 60's P. I like this bass. I have not had much experience of playing other basses but have lately gassed for a Fender, for no other reason than it's a Fender! I like the look of the HW1 and it's within a reasonable budget for me. I know you will say I should get out and play one to make up my own mind and I will do that, but I am interested to have your opinions. Is the HW1 a good upgrade, or should I stick with what I have?[/quote]

If it's a Fender you want & it's in your budget, you like the look, I'd say go get it - Now - before you have to pay another 2.5p per pound!
The HW1's I've tried have been very good straight out the box, every thing you'll ever need in a P bass really.
My only dislikes are the reliced & the satin finish models, the whole reliced thing on a new bass I will never understand, the satin - well OK I could easily live with it :)

I think they're good at that price & yes indeed a step up from your Squier, (however good it is - it'll never be a proper Fender) - It's a definite GO FOR IT from me.

Cheerz, John

Edit: When I say "(however good it is - it'll never be a proper Fender)", I was trying to agree with what I think you already have in your mind, not knocking Squier for being any less a bass. Yes there are many 'badge snobs' about, me included probably, but it's just part of our individuality.

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1075530' date='Jan 2 2011, 06:01 PM'][b][i][color="#FF0000"]Squire CV will still be a Squire CV and however much you want to kid yourself and others, it isnt a Fender[/color][/i]. [/b][/quote]

Hmmmm..

Am I allowed to disagree politely with a moderator? I'll keep it clean though my feelings and reservations with the above statement are angrier than what I am writing here.

[b]Yes a Squier will always be a Squier[/b], I give you that. Is a name really that important?

Lets see... : I can consider myself lucky not to be short of cash when it comes to toys, hence among some 5 or 6 top of the range Music Man basses which I've bought and sold between 2009-2010, I've also bought all 3 CV Squiers, and a Fender Japan 51 reissue, two Dingwalls, one here already, the other one on the way.

I like to mod my Squier with good components so that they are up to the task because Squier puts cheap stuff under the pickguard. By doing so, some of them have even exceeded quality and sound of the average Fender MIM. I kid you not.

Now the fact remains I have sold ALL the Music Man, the Japan reissue Fender and 2 of the CV Squiers just because I am onto different projects however there is one Squier CV I just couldn't let go and that is the Fiesta Red 60's Precision, an instrument which plays, feels and sound like a bass worth at least 5 times more than the £299 I paid for it. Ok I've spent about £60 on mods including the pickup but even though it will always be the Squier and not the Fender it makes no bloody difference to me and I am not deluded that this doesn't say Fender on the headstock, I could by all means get a decal and fake it but it's not in my nature to do so and least of all to shoot some statements like that one up there.

It might not be Fender but by God it is better than some Fender I have tried in shops, and for that reason alone a name on the headstock means absolutely jack s**t.

Unless of course you buy gear for the sole purpose that one day these would be regarded as high value collection items and fetch over £10'000 in Sotheby's

It shows the value of the brand name - lots of punters just want Fender on the headstock, regardless of the sound or feel of the instrument.

If you're happy with your bass, keep it and grow with it, you could always sand the headstock and stick a Fender logo on if it makes you feel better, (you wouldn't be the first or last).

And what if basses had no maker's name or logo ?
Would you be able to tell the difference between a Fender and a Squier in a blind test ?

Too much choice leads to dissatisfaction and it might be better if we all spent more time playing and less time lusting after new toys............ :)

[quote name='redstriper' post='1075599' date='Jan 2 2011, 06:55 PM']It shows the value of the brand name - lots of punters just want Fender on the headstock, regardless of the sound or feel of the instrument.

If you're happy with your bass, keep it and grow with it, you could always sand the headstock and stick a Fender logo on if it makes you feel better, (you wouldn't be the first or last).

And what if basses had no maker's name or logo ?
Would you be able to tell the difference between a Fender and a Squier in a blind test ?

Too much choice leads to dissatisfaction and it might be better if we all spent more time playing and less time lusting after new toys............ :)[/quote]

Well said that man! I agree wholeheartedly

Ok, just one thing to make clear, I'm not a label snob, not fussed that my bass is a Squier, but interested to know if the HW1 had a Squier label, would it be better than my CV? Would I be trading up or just going sideways?

Edited by aceuggy

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1075567' date='Jan 2 2011, 06:30 PM']Hmmmm..

Am I allowed to disagree politely with a moderator? I'll keep it clean though my feelings and reservations with the above statement are angrier than what I am writing here.

[b]Yes a Squier will always be a Squier[/b], I give you that. Is a name really that important?

Lets see... : I can consider myself lucky not to be short of cash when it comes to toys, hence among some 5 or 6 top of the range Music Man basses which I've bought and sold between 2009-2010, I've also bought all 3 CV Squiers, and a Fender Japan 51 reissue, two Dingwalls, one here already, the other one on the way.

I like to mod my Squier with good components so that they are up to the task because Squier puts cheap stuff under the pickguard. By doing so, some of them have even exceeded quality and sound of the average Fender MIM. I kid you not.

Now the fact remains I have sold ALL the Music Man, the Japan reissue Fender and 2 of the CV Squiers just because I am onto different projects however there is one Squier CV I just couldn't let go and that is the Fiesta Red 60's Precision, an instrument which plays, feels and sound like a bass worth at least 5 times more than the £299 I paid for it. Ok I've spent about £60 on mods including the pickup but even though it will always be the Squier and not the Fender it makes no bloody difference to me and I am not deluded that this doesn't say Fender on the headstock, I could by all means get a decal and fake it but it's not in my nature to do so and least of all to shoot some statements like that one up there.

It might not be Fender but by God it is better than some Fender I have tried in shops, and for that reason alone a name on the headstock means absolutely jack s**t.

Unless of course you buy gear for the sole purpose that one day these would be regarded as high value collection items and fetch over £10'000 in Sotheby's[/quote]

As a Squier cv owner, I would say this post is IMHO correct.

The main difference I notice is that the Squier's have glossy necks where as the HWY1's have a duller neck. If you prefer the matt feel of the neck then yes, go for it but personally I prefer a glossy neck. I'd go for a MIM Classic personally as they are really great basses. Vastly superior to the MIM Standards and as a big a jump as from Squier Standard to VM IMHO.

Personally I don't think it matters what it says on the headstock. I started on a Squier and have owned a couple since. A good instrument is a good instrument. All my basses are Fender at present but that's just the way things have worked out and nothing to do with any badge loyality or snobbery.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='1075622' date='Jan 2 2011, 07:17 PM']Ok, just one thing to make clear, I'm not a label snob, not fussed that my bass is a Squier, but interested to know if the HW1 had a Squier label, would it be better than my CV? Would I be trading up or just going sideways?[/quote]

If you're not bothered about the logo then there's two things to take into consideration. The first is the sound - i.e. does the HW 1 sound better/play better than the bass I already have? Second there's the resale value - i.e. will I get what I paid for it if I ever sell it. As far as the sound is concerned you first of all would have to play a HW 1 and make your own mind up about that. As far as resale value is concerned it's always best to buy secondhand if you can because it's a fair bet that if you ever sell it you'll get at least what you paid for it.

I've played both the CV Squier and a brand new American Fender Precision. The build quality of the CV was excellent but the sound quality of the US Fender was surprisingly superior. Maybe all you need to do is change the pickups on the CV to American standards and you'd end up with the best of both worlds - a great sounding bass at a budget price.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1075' date='Jan 2 2011, 06:30 PM']Am I allowed to disagree politely with a moderator? I'll keep it clean though my feelings and reservations with the above statement are angrier than what I am writing here.

[b]Yes a Squier will always be a Squier[/b], [color="#FF0000"][b]I give you that.[/b][/color] Is a name really that important?[/quote]

I can understand some getting wound up about this topic, but your line above clearly states you agree with me, but then you're disagreeing...?

A squire is not a Fender [u][b]fact[/b][/u]. Nowhere did I say that a Fender is [u]better[/u] than a Squire, YOU interpreted that because it supports your stance.

I am not a Fender fan, why? because they have at best shonky QC, same as Gibson. A decent Squire CV will be better than a friday afternoon Fender from any origin. I very much doubt I'll ever own another Fender because of that anomoly (and I have owned several!).

However angry you get (and why I'm not sure) you wont dissuade a lot of folks thinking that Fenders are the ONLY guitars on the planet and the BEST guitars on the planet, I had this same argument only last week at work. The guy would not back down that other guitars are made better and have better QC - he was so completely blinded by the big F that reason had left the building.

You like me are clearly in a priviledged position to pretty much be able to get whichever basses you want, so I'm not sure why you are so wound up about this....

If the OP or anyone else for that matter believes that they are 'progressing' to a Fender and has set their heart on one, then however much you getting upset or me giving reasoned argument is about as likely to sway their decision as my chances of becoming the next pope.....

Let them make their own mind up, spend their own cash and then become a 'dyed in the wool' Fenderhead or someone like me that probably wont ever buy another.

Oh and BTW I still stand by my first post.

As a CV owner and (pimped) Fender MIM owner I would suggest the following (assuming you can afford to):

1. Keep the CV and as suggested upgrade the electronics - it would be great value for money. Personally I don't find the pickups in the CV at all bad and that's compared with Wizards. At worst it would make a great backup bass.

2. Buy the HW and see how it goes!

The only way to answer your question is for you to buy one and compare it with your CV in various situations.
No one else can answer this for you, because we all have different tastes and opinions and every bass is different, regardless of it's maker.
The most important aspect is the player, not the instrument and great players often spend a long time building a relationship with their instrument.
But not many great players use Squiers compared to Fenders and that must have an influence.

What is it about the Squier that you think the Fender might do better?

If you do buy one, please post a comparative review on here.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1075959' date='Jan 3 2011, 01:00 AM']PS:
Forget all that rot I was on about before, what I really meant to say was................................. [b]Squiers are for losers.[/b][/quote]

or.....

[b]Fenders are for sheep![/b]

[color="#696969"][size=1]small pint,

I apologise in advance if in anyway I offend any Fender owners in the making of this comment. The comment is made in the interests of a comedy moment and in no way undermines Fender, their products, agents or players in anyway. It does not imply that Fenders or their subsidieries are in anyway inferior to any other Fender product or to undermine any Fender employees, agents or palyers. It is not intended to undermine sheep thier owners or agents in anyway, and no sheep or Fender basses were harmed during the making of this comment. [/size][/color]

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1076043' date='Jan 3 2011, 07:40 AM']or.....

[b]Fenders are for sheep![/b]

[color="#696969"][size=1]small pint,

I apologise in advance if in anyway I offend any Fender owners in the making of this comment. The comment is made in the interests of a comedy moment and in no way undermines Fender, their products, agents or players in anyway. It does not imply that Fenders or their subsidieries are in anyway inferior to any other Fender product or to undermine any Fender employees, agents or palyers. It is not intended to undermine sheep thier owners or agents in anyway, and no sheep or Fender basses were harmed during the making of this comment. [/size][/color][/quote]
BAAAH!

I used to have a HW-one (not a 1) P and loved it. I now have a CVP and it feels and sounds different.
The HW range are very good value, although the finish is an acquired taste.

To me the HW-one P was a more meaty sounding bass. Even though i love my CV P (and its been upgraded with a new pup and pots) i find the CV's sound a bit mushy compared to the HW's. Maybe its the wood, the BAII or the reinforced necks (or all of the above) plus the finish but they do definitely sound different. more articulated and punchy (IMO).

I do prefer the CV necks, especially the vintage frets, but the HW feels more ridged and i like that.

I think I'd err to the CV. The HWs have the same hardware as the MIM standards (?)

I have a 2002 MIM P and, although it's very nice, I find the frets too big. (I'm used to playing fretless most of the time). I like the idea of the small frets the CVs have.

[quote name='bh2' post='1077152' date='Jan 4 2011, 11:25 AM']I think I'd err to the CV. The HWs have the same hardware as the MIM standards (?)[/quote]

Im not sure they do. The MIM's dont have a BAII or American pups (going by the parts list on Fenders website).

Edited by dave_bass5