Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1374921835' post='2154791']
My Precisions...

[IMG]http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/pobrien_ie/Misc/2013-07-27113710-1_zps6a058e3a.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]
I wouldn't mind having a nice big print of these! Lovely!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1374927166' post='2154856']
What a pleasing looking pair Paddy.
[/quote]

Thanks Gary. I've changed lots of things on them since we originally spoke, but I think they're finally done now!

Next I want to do a '59 P Bass in a yellowed Olympic White with a rosewood board and gold pickguard and a '63 P Bass in Old Lake Placid Blue with a rosewood board and mint pickguard. I also want a fretless P Bass in the near future, so they might take a while.

Edit...for mobile-related typos!

Edited by pobrien_ie

Here's my Jamerson 62 tribute, all Fender parts apart from the body (alder) and scratch plate and all period correct, even the screws are all nickel.

Couldn't afford an all parts neck so settled for a Mighty Mite one, so not 100% correct but plays and sounds fantastic especially with the La Bella flats.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1374936458' post='2154971']
Can you tell us a bit about these two beauties please ?
[/quote]

Hi, yes no problem, but prepare to be bored :P

Both are basses I put together over the last while. Technically bitsas, although it pains me to say that as it's been a long process sourcing the best and most vintage-correct parts I could get. These are about substance as much as looks.

The Fiesta Red is based on a '62 P Bass - nitro finish alder body from a MIM Roadworn, nitro finish AVRI slab neck from 1988 (hence the stupid location of the decal), vintage reissue bridge, reverse tuners, Fender 62 reissue pickups, mint green pickguard, period correct repro ceramic capacitor, and cloth covered wiring all put together as per the correct '62 spec. The only thing I might do with this is get a custom made and completely period correct neck with clay dots, correct spacing etc.

The black one is based on a '57 P Bass - nitro finish alder body from a Highway 1, nitro finish MIM roadworn neck, vintage reissue bridge, reverse tuners, SD Antiquity pickups with the raised 'A' poles, gold anodized pickguard, period correct repro chiclett capacitor, and cloth covered wiring all put together as per the correct '62 spec.

As I said in another thread, the hardest thing to source (for an obsessive like myself at least) was the proper pickup covers. A few weeks ago I saw the Stratosphere had bridge and pickup covers from a 58 and 63 AVRI for auction, and I managed to win all four pieces. The bridge covers have the mutes glued into them already, which is a nice touch, although restricitive if you don't like the muted sound.

The only reason I started these is that I wanted a Fiesta Red AVRI and they're really hard to find. Although one did come up on ebay in the middle of this project, I was happier with how these were going. There's also a satisfying feeling of getting the sounds I wanted from the sum of all the parts at a significantly cheaper cost than the production models. It also stops me making impulse buys on the for sale section here ;)

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1374939323' post='2155021']
Here's my Jamerson 62 tribute, all Fender parts apart from the body (alder) and scratch plate and all period correct, even the screws are all nickel.

Couldn't afford an all parts neck so settled for a Mighty Mite one, so not 100% correct but plays and sounds fantastic especially with the La Bella flats.

[/quote]

Nice!! You really can't beat that classic look.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1374941708' post='2155065']
Nice!! You really can't beat that classic look.
[/quote]
Thanks.

I do like your 2 P-basses, I'm ooming and arring on whether to start on a 59 P-Bass next and as you say and I've experienced on my last build, it's getting the period parts at a reasonable price and avoiding imports If you can (duty).

I was thinking of Olympic white with gold scratch plate and maple fretboard for my 59, but then I do like your fiesta red one but with a tort scratch plate (like Pino's).

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1374942656' post='2155085']

Thanks.

I do like your 2 P-basses, I'm ooming and arring on whether to start on a 59 P-Bass next and as you say and I've experienced on my last build, it's getting the period parts at a reasonable price and avoiding imports If you can (duty).

I was thinking of Olympic white with gold scratch plate and maple fretboard for my 59, but then I do like your fiesta red one but with a tort scratch plate (like Pino's).
[/quote]

Yep, definitely something fulfilling about a diy job.

I might change to a tort pickguard too, but I really like mint on any of those 60's custom colours.

Good luck with your next one!

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1375035313' post='2156010']
Also, pobrien_ie and yepmop are really making me want to get a set of covers for my Precision. A bridge cover at the very least.
[/quote]

I'm agonising whether or not to put covers on mine. I like the look of them, I like the fact that the pup cover allows me to play a bit closer to the bridge but it's the idea of drilling holes that puts me off. :unsure:

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1375090156' post='2156466']
I'm agonising whether or not to put covers on mine. I like the look of them, I like the fact that the pup cover allows me to play a bit closer to the bridge but it's the idea of drilling holes that puts me off. :unsure:
[/quote]

Mine already has the holes, drilled by a previous owner, who did a horrible job of it. When one of the holes by the bridge was drilled it split the finish so there's a 5mm sized bit of the finish missing, so putting a cover back over the bridge would actually cover it up.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1375116269' post='2156896']
Bet you didn't expect to see me in here ;)

Fender Cabronita Precision. Because I can't do anything properly ;)
[/quote]
I really liked the sound of these on the You tube demo video, does it sound as good in the flesh?

Ive posted these before but the photos were crap ...hopefully these are a little better ...

[attachment=140166:069.JPG][attachment=140167:072.JPG][attachment=140168:073.JPG]

[attachment=140169:076.JPG][attachment=140170:078.JPG][attachment=140171:079.JPG]

:)

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1375121329' post='2156971']
I really liked the sound of these on the You tube demo video, does it sound as good in the flesh?
[/quote]

It doesn't sound like that in the flesh, there's obviously some overdrive going on there (which I think is proper daft if you want to hear the actual bass itself). Well I like how it sounds. I hate describing sounds. It's a satisfying sound. You know when you plug in a bass to try it out and go "meh, it sounds like a bass" and then put it down and walk away? That didn't happen with this one. Sounded nice to me, there was some character in the sound that spoke to me. Perhaps I'll lash up some plain soundclips without any pesky overdrive and then people can judge for themselves - infinitely better than me waffling on about what my ears told me.