Why become a member? ×

I really shouldn't go into music shops on my own....

Blademan_98

I went over to PMT in Oxford today.

I really wanted a small combo or the Ashdown 5 15 mini rig.

Look what I came home with!

I am a Jack Bruce fan and have fancied one of these for a while.

Since I started playing in earnest this year, the GAS has kicked in!

Doing everything on a budget, this fitted the bill.......

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1072040' date='Dec 29 2010, 07:27 PM']I`ve got a Black Crowes dvd called Cabin Fever and although I haven`t played it in a while, I`m sure that the bass player plays a similar bass on a few of the tracks. Looks good, sounds good, £200, all adds up to a happy bass player.

Jez[/quote]

And wasn't there some band in the '60s where the bassist played one of these? Can't remember the name of the band ... but maybe they were from Liverpool?

[quote name='mart' post='1072074' date='Dec 29 2010, 08:00 PM']And wasn't there some band in the '60s where the bassist played one of these? Can't remember the name of the band ... but maybe they were from Liverpool?[/quote]

Aye, a Hofner one, whereas the guy in the Crowes played the Epiphone one as above. Yarrrr :)

Jez

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1072083' date='Dec 29 2010, 08:06 PM']Not a bad price if you'll get some enjoyment out of it.[/quote]

After the last two weeks Ive had, just buying it gave massive enjoyment :)

Cheers for all the comments.

I really am enjoying playing bass and reading the different threads on this forum.

Brian

The Epiphones I played & owned a few years ago were usually pretty good. The violin bass was about the only one I didn't own during the height of my GAS

[quote name='mart' post='1072074' date='Dec 29 2010, 08:00 PM']And wasn't there some band in the '60s where the bassist played one of these? Can't remember the name of the band ... but maybe they were from Liverpool?[/quote]
Gerry & the Pacemakers :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1072040' date='Dec 29 2010, 07:27 PM']I`ve got a Black Crowes dvd called Cabin Fever and although I haven`t played it in a while, I`m sure that the bass player plays a similar bass on a few of the tracks.[/quote]
Sven Pippin who replaced Johnny Colt does indeed sometimes use one

Aye the gibson Jack used was the EB-1 which is approx 2,500 plus change....

The epiphone copy was again the EB-1which is what I finally found after hankering for one for a long long time.

However it wasnt with me long and after a few epiphones after that I decided the brand just isnt for me.

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1072557' date='Dec 30 2010, 10:52 AM']Aye the gibson Jack used was the EB-1 which is approx 2,500 plus change....

The epiphone copy was again the EB-1which is what I finally found after hankering for one for a long long time.

However it wasnt with me long and after a few epiphones after that I decided the brand just isnt for me.[/quote]

That looks really cool :)

I like them a lot, and perhaps one day I will have enough to buy a real EB-1

Is it the build quality or just the general feel of Epiphones you don't like?

Brian

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1072563' date='Dec 30 2010, 10:58 AM']That looks really cool :)

I like them a lot, and perhaps one day I will have enough to buy a real EB-1

Is it the build quality or just the general feel of Epiphones you don't like?

Brian[/quote]

The feel of the Epiphones are pretty good in my eyes Brian. You have made a good purchase in that respect. Its the electrics and hardware that let them down IMHO.
One of the main reasons I got rid of the EB-1 was that I felt it looked a bit daft on me. Im quite a big chap and I felt it looked a little too small on me.

However, in todays market you get what you pay for and im sure you knew that spending 200bucks wasnt going to get you a classic. So again, you have got a bass that you like the looks of, you have played and are happy with and feel its iconic in the respect of Jack Bruce playing something similar.

To me thats a win, win, win to you mate. I hope you have years of fun with it.

wow I just checked your thread back in June!

I would have bought it from you!

Still, I am really happy with it. I'm off to get a strap from my local music shop in a minute.

I can't wait to gig it now (I love the looks you get when weilding something unusual).

Cheers for all your comments

Brian

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1071977' date='Dec 29 2010, 06:31 PM']I went over to PMT in Oxford today.

I really wanted a small combo or the Ashdown 5 15 mini rig.

Look what I came home with!

I am a Jack Bruce fan and have fancied one of these for a while.

Since I started playing in earnest this year, the GAS has kicked in!

Doing everything on a budget, this fitted the bill.......[/quote]

Looks good - reminded me of [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390274492557&ssPageName=ADME:X%3a%44ED:GB:1123"]This EKO[/url]I saw on ebay, love the look but don't like the price tag!

Good luck - oh & I had a Ashdown 5/15 mini rig for a while - how's about a little Trace Elliot Boxer 65? Link in my sig below. Very similar to the 5/15 in terms of performance, smaller & easy to carry/store.

Cheerz, John