Why become a member? ×

Basses for acoustic "style" gigs

ThomBassmonkey

I am still perplexed by the feeling that you need something that "looks the part" for an acoustic gig. How strange! I'm not typically a fan of acoustic basses because of the issues getting them amplified properly and still sounding good. A decent electric through a good combo at a reasonable volume is always a better idea IMO.

I can certainly see sense in just using a Precision. I've different experiences with acoustic bass guitars & I've tried some really nice sounding ones. The bigger bodied ones tend to sound better.

Personally I have an upright bass but I also have a resonator bass that I use when I just want to throw something in a case & jump on a train. Originally it sounded awful but I've strung it with flats and it now has a certain charm.

i bought one of those stag stick basses. For £250 they are perfect for blues and jazz stuff. I cant play it anywehere near my bongo, but i dont need to as the sound is huge, and as far as playing walking bass lines its just perfect for that. I would say get an upright for this sort of thing, and also being strait up, they take no room, and women love it!

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1072203' date='Dec 29 2010, 10:13 PM']I would say get an upright for this sort of thing, and also being strait up, they take no room, and women love it![/quote]

I remember the video.
When you say "women love it" what you actually mean is "she didn't slap me" :) :) :lol:

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1072091' date='Dec 29 2010, 08:12 PM']I am still perplexed by the feeling that you need something that "looks the part" for an acoustic gig. How strange! I'm not typically a fan of acoustic basses because of the issues getting them amplified properly and still sounding good. A decent electric through a good combo at a reasonable volume is always a better idea IMO.[/quote]

Each to their own. I don't "need" anything, I "want" something that looks the part. I've been using my electric basses for every acoustic gig I've ever done on bass so far, I always feel a bit as though I've not made the effort. Plus I enjoy playing uprights and like having various strings to my bow, I don't think it'd hurt anything if I did get one, so I don't see the problem.

Thanks for that video, Grey. :) I'll give it a good listen in a bit.