Why become a member? ×

Basses for acoustic "style" gigs

ThomBassmonkey

My band plays "acoustic" gigs fairly regularly, I've always been playing my normal electic basses for these, but I fancy something a little different. I've been considering either a Stagg or NS upright. I've seen the Kala U basses too though and they look and sound good (and would be more transportable than uprights). Anyone got any tips? I've not got a specific budget in mind yet, though it won't be a lot.

By the way, when looking at EUBs, I came across this stormer. Obviously someone wasn't concentrating when they named it: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ns_design_cr4p_bass.htm"]Unfortunately named bass[/url]

I would just take a look at what Kai Eckhardt used to play when he was in the John McLaughlin Trio in the late 80's, something headless with a carbon fibre neck like a Schack would be ideal. It gives that fantastic burpy electric sound which is amazing with nylon string guitars or even steel string acoustics.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1071735' date='Dec 29 2010, 01:55 PM']Just get a P or a J fretless. Makes life a lot easier.[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree - unless you have previous double bass experience, there is a lot of learning in these instruments.

Since you used scare quotes around "acoustic" I assume the ensemble you are playing with are treating the term with a certain degree of, ah, shall we say, flexibility? In which case a P or J bass will be sonically just as appropriate as any acoustic bass guitar or what have you.

Of course, when it comes to acoustic performances, sometimes people go for the visual aspect more than the aural, in which case these instruments may be more appropriate.

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='1071745' date='Dec 29 2010, 02:04 PM']I'm inclined to agree - unless you have previous double bass experience, there is a lot of learning in these instruments.

Since you used scare quotes around "acoustic" I assume the ensemble you are playing with are treating the term with a certain degree of, ah, shall we say, flexibility? In which case a P or J bass will be sonically just as appropriate as any acoustic bass guitar or what have you.

Of course, when it comes to acoustic performances, sometimes people go for the visual aspect more than the aural, in which case these instruments may be more appropriate.

Jennifer[/quote]

Somebody on the same wavelength :)

What I would say to theOP though, if you are trying to get it visually right, probably best to go for a trad burst or natural finish rather than something like candy apple red :)

A mate of mine (currently playing with notable band) got the gig on the understanding that he dropped the fancy basses and went with a Fender P. A lot said for simplicity sometimes - a lot of commercial bands like the familiarity of a Fender bass.

Edited by EBS_freak

Furthermore, you see loads of EUB's for sale when someone buys one thinking they'll be able to take to it fairly easily before discovering it's a completely different (and IMO, inferior) instrument. I'd only go for an EUB if you're serious about dedicating time to learning it properly and most likely getting tuition as well.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1071748' date='Dec 29 2010, 02:08 PM']Furthermore, you see loads of EUB's for sale when someone buys one thinking they'll be able to take to it fairly easily before discovering it's a completely different (and IMO, inferior) instrument. I'd only go for an EUB if you're serious about dedicating time to learning it properly and most likely getting tuition as well.[/quote]

Not inferior. Different.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1071725' date='Dec 29 2010, 01:47 PM']By the way, when looking at EUBs, I came across this stormer. Obviously someone wasn't concentrating when they named it: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ns_design_cr4p_bass.htm"]Unfortunately named bass[/url][/quote]

What [i]were[/i] they thinking..? :)

I've played DBs a few times before and found them very easy to get on with. It takes me a minute or two to get used to the spacing between notes then I'm away.

Just to clarify, yes, it's not actually acoustic work. Generally they're gigs that involve playing to seated pub guests, we play a slightly different set to our electric one that's centred more around the slightly slower numbers, no distortion etc. Our guitarist uses an acoustic and the drummer a kajon (sp?) so I fancy something that fits in a little more with the look of being acoustic.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1071764' date='Dec 29 2010, 02:21 PM']I've played DBs a few times before and found them very easy to get on with. It takes me a minute or two to get used to the spacing between notes then I'm away.

Just to clarify, yes, it's not actually acoustic work. Generally they're gigs that involve playing to seated pub guests, we play a slightly different set to our electric one that's centred more around the slightly slower numbers, no distortion etc. Our guitarist uses an acoustic and the drummer a kajon (sp?) so I fancy something that fits in a little more with the look of being acoustic.[/quote]

If you are confident then yeah, go for the inferior (ha ha) instrument.

Otherwise, (and if you want to keep the acoustic vibe 100%) play safe and get something like this -

Edited by EBS_freak

I've only had bad experiences with the cheaper end of acoustic bass guitars. Even the few ok ones I've played, I just found myself thinking "it's like an electric, but it doesn't play or sound as good." so I want to avoid them really.

I was more thinking about if the extra money for a 2nd hand NS is worth it for someone new to EUBs (bearing in mind that I'm confident that I'll get on with EUB fine as an instrument, just unsure if there's a big difference between the two that would make the NS worth picking up) rather than the Stagg, also wondering if anyone's played the Kala U basses, I've only seen a few videos of them and never in a band mix.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1071785' date='Dec 29 2010, 02:39 PM']I've only had bad experiences with the cheaper end of acoustic bass guitars. Even the few ok ones I've played, I just found myself thinking "it's like an electric, but it doesn't play or sound as good." so I want to avoid them really.

I was more thinking about if the extra money for a 2nd hand NS is worth it for someone new to EUBs (bearing in mind that I'm confident that I'll get on with EUB fine as an instrument, just unsure if there's a big difference between the two that would make the NS worth picking up) rather than the Stagg, also wondering if anyone's played the Kala U basses, I've only seen a few videos of them and never in a band mix.[/quote]

The one I posted is of a Martin. My friend has one and they sound sublime, especially when plugged in. OK, they don't feel as comfortable as a standard electric bass (mostly due to the depth of the body) but they are great. I can understand why you want to avoid that.

By reading your posts, to be honest, it sounds as though your mind is already made up. Go find yourself a 2nd hand NS and have a dabble. If you don't, you'll always be striving to go there no matter what you are currently playing. I would try and seek one over a Stagg as you know - a harder to play instrument is going to hinder your learning process.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1071787' date='Dec 29 2010, 02:42 PM']The one I posted is of a Martin. My friend has one and they sound sublime, especially when plugged in. OK, they don't feel as comfortable as a standard electric bass (mostly due to the depth of the body) but they are great. I can understand why you want to avoid that.

By reading your posts, to be honest, it sounds as though your mind is already made up. Go find yourself a 2nd hand NS and have a dabble. If you don't, you'll always be striving to go there no matter what you are currently playing. I would try and seek one over a Stagg as you know - a harder to play instrument is going to hinder your learning process.[/quote]

...and then buy a fretless Fender.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1071785' date='Dec 29 2010, 02:39 PM']I've only had bad experiences with the cheaper end of acoustic bass guitars. Even the few ok ones I've played, I just found myself thinking "it's like an electric, but it doesn't play or sound as good." so I want to avoid them really.[/quote]

If you look around you can find Fender Victor Bailey acoustic basses for good prices. They're pretty rare used but they'd be an even better buy there. Very highly spoken of, and despite the fact I'm not a huge fan of acoustic basses I have to say they are pretty good. IIRC Stanley Clarke used one on his 'The Toys of Men' album.

Well the NS is quite expensive for something I'd only use maybe once or twice a month at small, unpaid gigs. Obviously if money wasn't an issue, I'd go for that and it I could afford it if there really was a big difference but I'd want to know that there was a big difference. Then, from what I've read, strings often need upgrading and potentially bridge etc too (I can't remember which EUBs I've read it about, so it might not be the NS). I've also read that with a few upgrades, the Stagg is actually a pretty nice bass.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1071725' date='Dec 29 2010, 01:47 PM']My band plays "acoustic" gigs fairly regularly, I've always been playing my normal electic basses for these, but I fancy something a little different. I've been considering either a Stagg or NS upright. I've seen the Kala U basses too though and they look and sound good (and would be more transportable than uprights). Anyone got any tips? I've not got a specific budget in mind yet, though it won't be a lot.

By the way, when looking at EUBs, I came across this stormer. Obviously someone wasn't concentrating when they named it: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ns_design_cr4p_bass.htm"]Unfortunately named bass[/url][/quote]

I looked at both the Stagg EDB and the NS WAV4 when I was in the market for an EUB and went for the WAV4 in the end.
The Stagg was reasonably well built but had a number of 'tweaks' that needed to be done to it to bring it up to a reasonable standard and, as a complete UB novice, I didn't like the multitude of metal struts sticking out of it.
The WAV4 was, as near as damnit, ready to play 'out of the box'.

Having said that, the Stagg is an inexpensive punt if you are in anyway unsure of the long term investment (both in time an money!) - they are always appearing in various marketplaces at good SH prices and the 'tweaks' are well documented and well within the capabilities of most bass players.

As has been pointed out already though, there are a number of differences between playing an EUB and a bass guitar and it can be an uphill struggle to do musical justice to what is fundementally a totally different instrument.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1071804' date='Dec 29 2010, 02:50 PM']I'll throw this in the mix too - [url="http://www.deanguitars.uk.com/basses/pacebass.htm"]http://www.deanguitars.uk.com/basses/pacebass.htm[/url][/quote]

Could be worth considering but these have a flat fingerboard which means that the use of a bow is out.
It may not be an issue for the OP today but nobody knows what tomorrow brings... :)

I was wondering the same thing a month or so ago. Started off thinking about just using my warwick fretless, then thought it'd still sound too electric. Then looked at fretless acoustics, but the price got up to EUB range before I found a nice one. As I've wanted an upright I thought I may as well go for an NS Design NXT.

Picked it up yesterday, already used to the different playing position and the different scale length, the string spacing it taking a bit longer though :)

[quote name='bartelby' post='1071926' date='Dec 29 2010, 05:12 PM']Picked it up yesterday, already used to the different playing position and the different scale length, the string spacing it taking a bit longer though :)[/quote]

Yeah it takes a little while to get used to the string spacing but perservere - it'll come. :)
I think I found that the hardest part of the transition was actually using the instrument as a new instrument - the temptation is to just treat it as an upright bass guitar and lose all of the 'texture'...

The other thing I found was the piezo pickup was of such a high impedance that my rig struggled to produce the rounded sound that I wanted.
I added an external Fishman BII pre-amp and everything settled down nicely. :lol:

[quote name='icastle' post='1071981' date='Dec 29 2010, 06:34 PM']I think I found that the hardest part of the transition was actually using the instrument as a new instrument - the temptation is to just treat it as an upright bass guitar and lose all of the 'texture'...[/quote]

That's pretty much exactly what I said to my wife this afternoon. So I've given up playing bass lines I already know and I'm just improvising.

[quote name='bartelby' post='1071986' date='Dec 29 2010, 06:41 PM']That's pretty much exactly what I said to my wife this afternoon. So I've given up playing bass lines I already know and I'm just improvising.[/quote]

Yep.
I also had a look at DB players on YouTube to see\hear how they use their instrument to best effect - perhaps take a look at Miranda Sykes as a good starting off point...