Why become a member? ×

Iceni Funkmeister

gilmour

Over the last few months Mike Walsh from Iceni basses, mostly famed for his Zoot bass, has been building me a bass.

The model he’s been making for me is a “Funkmeister” his take on the classic Jazz bass shape. When working up the spec for the bass Mike was really responsive to my desire to not have something to OTT, instead I wanted a ‘players’ bass that I could be out gigging with every week, but still retain a few subtle boutique touches. It's come out really nicely - just a black jazz at a glance, but those in the know will see all the subtle touches :lol:

Specifications:
• Iceni Funkmeister 5 string, 35" scale
• Hi gloss, Ebony burst finish
• Chrome Hardware
• Idigbo body
• Three piece maple neck, ebony veneers
• Maple fretboard, no markers
• Burl Walnut veneer top, matching headstock
• Smoked clear scratch-plate
• John East J-Retro 01 deluxe preamp
• DiMarzio ultra jazz pickups
• Customized BadAss bridge, for top loading or string through

After a few failed attempts to collect it (thanks to the weather) I got it home yesterday - I haven't played so much at home in years.

The build quality is fantastic, and it plays beautifully. The string spacing at the nut end is a little further apart than on my other basses, I was initially a bit worried by that as it looks daunting, but when playing it feels very natural, and hardly made any difference TBH. I imagine this is because the spacing is similar to a 4 string.

The clear scratch plate is a bit of a magnet for dust, but it looks cool so ...:cool:

It's a 35" scale but that doesn't feel odd in any way, again very comfortable very quickly. It does however mean that I'm going to have to change the strings as Mike got a set of the Long scale D'Addarios, but they're not quite long enough, so from now on it's the super expensive super long sets.

The east j-retro gives a huge range of sounds, and will take a bit of getting used to, as I keep completely altering the sound by accident! The mid stack (which Mike tells me John sells separately) does a huge amount on it's own, and TBH I think you could get away with just a volume and mid stack and still have a huge range of sounds.

Overall I'm delighted with the bass, plays great, looks great, sounds great :D I can't wait to get out and gig it. I'm in the studio today so it may make it onto the album I'm recording, I'll certainly take it for the producer to have a listen too (although he normally makes me play the Squire P that he bought for £40 - it's on just about every recording he does!).

I really enjoyed working with Mike on this and he really got where I was coming from as a customer and what I wanted from a bass.

Here's some pics taken by Richard H

I love this one - the camera focussed on the reflection of the workshop rather than the bass itself!

There's Mike in the reflection :)

I've picked up a New Years Eve gig with a scratch* band so would like it to loose it's virginity then.

I'm grinning like a cheshire cat a the moment :P I really like the J bass shape, but in a world of Shuker's and Sadowskys it's nice to have something a little bit different :)

* No rehearsals just some emails outlining a rough funk set. :cool:

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1067958' date='Dec 23 2010, 05:00 PM']Beautiful and very tasteful. I would never have thought of a clear scratchplate, but it works really well.[/quote]

Thanks dude, it's actually a smoked perspex rather than completely clear, so it's transparent grey in light - looks great - Mikes Idea I was expecting just black :)

[quote name='bleedproof' post='1068253' date='Dec 23 2010, 09:24 PM']Good choice with the option to string through the body and the Dimarzio Ultra J's - I have the same in my Copper OW :)[/quote]

Out of interest what strings are you using on it, I'm not sure what strings I'm going to be able to use that are35" plus through body.

[quote name='gilmour' post='1068277' date='Dec 23 2010, 09:57 PM']Out of interest what strings are you using on it, I'm not sure what strings I'm going to be able to use that are35" plus through body.[/quote]

Overwater nickel xl - suitable for scales up to 36" or 35" through body. Link below

[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/extended-nickel.htm"]Overwater Strings[/url]

If you have any questions about the strings PM me

Stu

A fellow Funkmeister brother!! I had Mike make me a Funkmeister 6yrs ago and haven't seen or heard of any since, very rare, special basses! Here's some pics of mine. Initially Mike was going to make it for reviews in the bass magazines but when I saw build pics of the body I slapped down the deposit and he happily made it for me instead! It has Dimarzio aero pickups and aguilar OBP3 pre amp. I also found out the hard way with the the extra long string length needed for through body stringing!

[attachment=67317:DSCF2899.JPG]
[attachment=67316:DSCF2898.JPG]
[attachment=67318:basness.jpg]