Why become a member? ×

-----------

Spoombung

[quote name='stinson' post='1052811' date='Dec 9 2010, 02:35 PM']I think I remember seeing you playing that Wal on The Tube in the mid 80's? Bet thats seen some serious action! Nice collection[/quote]

Yep, that'll be the one.

God, I wish Ipswich Town FC has a player anywhere near the quality of John Wark.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1052999' date='Dec 9 2010, 04:47 PM']That's a fine looking new ACG, which I guess takes some of it's inspiration from the Affirma?

Has it got the ACG EQ1 Filter pre-amp? And if so how do you think it measures up against the pre-amp in the Wal?[/quote]

Yep, right on both accounts and I'll get round to answering all that in detail soon...

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1061393' date='Dec 17 2010, 10:34 AM']I hummed and harred about buying it the first time I played it because it had large, bumpy frets (that's something I'm not keen on) but I decided to get it anyway and have smaller frets put in. It now feels great. I need to raise the action though, but weirdly, just can't find an alum key that fits(?) The pickups and pre amp are okay but not top-notch so but I might think of changing them in the future.[/quote]

What's an alum key? :)

*Allen :)
You might well find that your bass needs a 'chinese 4mm' key... i.e. anywhere between about 3.5 and 4.5mm without actually being 4mm.

[size=1]ps. I still listen frequently to your Kirby Dots album... mesmerising stuff.[/size]

[quote name='Rich' post='1061490' date='Dec 17 2010, 12:37 PM']*Allen :)
You might well find that your bass needs a 'chinese 4mm' key... i.e. anywhere between about 3.5 and 4.5mm without actually being 4mm.

[size=1]ps. I still listen frequently to your Kirby Dots album... mesmerising stuff.[/size][/quote]

Thanks for coming to the rescue, Rich. Yes, the key is an awkward size between two well known sizes - so I'm sure you're right even. It's probably more like a O.4, though.

Glad to know you're still enjoying Kirby Dots :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1061501' date='Dec 17 2010, 12:56 PM']Have you tried imperial allen key sizes as well? They're usually frustratingly close to the metric sizes, but not close enough to do the job properly.[/quote]

I'm not sure. I've got two keys that nearly fit either side of the measurement... but don't.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1061505' date='Dec 17 2010, 01:01 PM']I'm not sure. I've got two keys that nearly fit either side of the measurement... but don't.[/quote]
Yeah, it sounds like you've either got two imperial keys and you need a metric one... or vice versa. It being a Far-East-made beastie, I'd hazard a guess it needs a metric key.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9THE"]This[/url] is one of the most useful instrument-tweaking purchases I've ever made:

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1061538' date='Dec 17 2010, 01:37 PM']Yeah, it sounds like you've either got two imperial keys and you need a metric one... or vice versa. It being a Far-East-made beastie, I'd hazard a guess it needs a metric key.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9THE"]This[/url] is one of the most useful instrument-tweaking purchases I've ever made:

[/quote]

I got something just like that, except it was a halfords own brand and the case doesn't quite snap shut properly...