Why become a member? ×

Possible P bass project bass?

Bass_Guardian

Ive always fancied customising a p bass and i spotted this one on The Guitar Store in Glasgow. Link Below

[url="http://guitarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_76&products_id=242"]http://guitarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_pa...products_id=242[/url]

It does look short scale though and theres hardly any detail about it.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1052702' date='Dec 9 2010, 01:27 PM'][b]Go in and try one[/b], if the neck feels pukka then it's a goer for modding.[/quote]

Thats the key really. You can spend fortunes customising a guitar, but essentially it's still the same basic neck and body whatever else you add to it. Got to make sure the thing is good enough in the first place and I'd have serious doubts at that price.

For a little bit more you would be safer going the Jim Deacon route. I just got one for £115 including delivery and a strap and lead etc. It sounds and plays fine and I am only planning on making cosmetic changes to it.

Edited by paul h

Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard.

All the main things are there, have to assume the electrics/tuners/pickups will be a bit ropey for £70, but if bought just as a project it looks to have the right foundations to replace these and have quite a decent instrument.

[quote name='paul h' post='1052765' date='Dec 9 2010, 02:04 PM']For a little bit more you would be safer going the Jim Deacon route. I just got one for £115 including delivery and a strap and lead etc. It sounds and plays fine and I am only planning on making cosmetic changes to it.[/quote]
I actually do have a jim deacon p bass special with the jazz bridge pup aswell which could be modded but I think it sound great the way it is. Maybe I might do cosmetic changes....

Having perused the Guitar store over the last few years, I would be wary of what you buy there. They sell some right tat in there along with some decent stuff to be fair. I would always be wary of spending that kind of money on a bass from a shop.

Better with a Westfield or go along to CC Music in the West end and get a Jim Deacon. Don`t get me wrong, the bass may be okay but there was a Squire affinity on Glasgow Gumtree for £65 I think it was. Really good bass and perfect for modding.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1053312' date='Dec 9 2010, 08:26 PM']Having perused the Guitar store over the last few years, I would be wary of what you buy there. They sell some right tat in there along with some decent stuff to be fair. I would always be wary of spending that kind of money on a bass from a shop.

Better with a Westfield or go along to CC Music in the West end and get a Jim Deacon. Don`t get me wrong, the bass may be okay but there was a Squire affinity on Glasgow Gumtree for £65 I think it was. Really good bass and perfect for modding.

Jez[/quote]
I have a jim deacon!!!

P bass special :)

But I like the way it sounds so maybe some advice on cosmetic mods maybe.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1053946' date='Dec 10 2010, 12:40 PM']:)

Hows that bass treating u jose?[/quote]

It's alright. I ended up putting a bit of foam under the strings by the bridge, as a mute, as I think it sounds really good for that kind of deep thud type of bass... but the 30" scale is not letting me love it. I think it may end up on the For Sale pages sometime in the new year. But not before I play it live at least once :)