Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN

portraitoftracy

[quote name='portraitoftracy' post='1045775' date='Dec 2 2010, 10:46 PM']Killer playing and sounding Celinder Update Vintage 5

Full size pictures can be seen here:

[url="http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slideshow?site=celindergold&page=celindergold/pictures&album=8"]http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/picture...res&album=8[/url]

alder body
vintage tint maple neck
Celinder Pickups
Celinder CP-3 preamp
35 inch scale
10 pounds even, light for a Celinder 5
brand new hard case and extra tortise pick gaurd
truss rod works perfectly, which can be a problem on some Celinders
Marcus Miller tone for days

$3200 U.S. Dollars roughly $2450 euros) plus shipping costs

I have plenty of references and feedback if needed. Easiest to get a hold of me at [email protected]

thanks[/quote]

thats a beauty matey

I see you bought this bass on TalkBass 3 days ago for $2500 -

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716410&highlight=celinder"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=celinder[/url]

I was actually talking to the seller about buying it on Monday, though he said someone locally had come in for it
Less inclined to pay the $3200 being asked for it here, even if it has lost a little weight in last few days

[quote name='portraitoftracy' post='1045775' date='Dec 2 2010, 10:46 PM']Killer playing and sounding Celinder Update Vintage 5

Full size pictures can be seen here:

[url="http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slideshow?site=celindergold&page=celindergold/pictures&album=8"]http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/picture...res&album=8[/url]

alder body
vintage tint maple neck
Celinder Pickups
Celinder CP-3 preamp
35 inch scale
10 pounds even, light for a Celinder 5
brand new hard case and extra tortise pick gaurd
truss rod works perfectly, which can be a problem on some Celinders
Marcus Miller tone for days

$3200 U.S. Dollars roughly $2450 euros) plus shipping costs

I have plenty of references and feedback if needed. Easiest to get a hold of me at [email protected]

thanks[/quote]

Edited by Platypus

[quote name='Platypus' post='1046740' date='Dec 3 2010, 07:56 PM']I see you bought this bass on TalkBass 3 days ago for $2500 -

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716410&highlight=celinder"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=celinder[/url]

I was actually talking to the seller about buying it on Monday, though he said someone locally had come in for it
Less inclined to pay the $3200 being asked for it here, even if it has lost a little weight in last few days[/quote]
And no mention in your ad of the dings. Shame on you.

[quote name='portraitoftracy' post='1046834' date='Dec 3 2010, 09:24 PM']No worries boys, I'm keeping her anyhow. She is to sweet and I sold my other Celinder. If you can't see the dings in the high res photos you must be blind. Cheers[/quote]

There goes another one :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1046770' date='Dec 3 2010, 08:26 PM']ive deleted my post..i didnt spot Platypus's post.. good call.... i love that bass but i really hate people who wheel and deal...just me i guess.. i cant get away from it... it pisses me off.. sell it on Ebay..[/quote]

+1

[quote name='setekh' post='1047207' date='Dec 4 2010, 11:27 AM']So witch hunts are OK here, then? It really baffles me how it is some one else's business how much people buy the stuff for and how much they ask for it.[/quote]

No witch hunt, the question was fairly asked, and rather than respond in a professional manner the seller jumped ship. The other comments you're likely referring to came after the fact.

As to whose business it is, if I were considering buying an expensive bass I'd consider it my business, and I'd be pleased that such questions were asked (and ideally responded to) in public. It's one of the reasons I'd far rather buy here than on ebay. There's nothing wrong with buying low and selling high of course, as long as it wasn't bought low for a reason that isn't being disclosed to a potential buyer at the higher price.

C

[quote name='setekh' post='1047207' date='Dec 4 2010, 11:27 AM']So witch hunts are OK here, then? It really baffles me how it is some one else's business how much people buy the stuff for and how much they ask for it.[/quote]

Doesn't look like a witch hunt to me - someone merely pointed out that the bass had been bought just a few days previously & at a price a lot less than was being asked here - statement of fact. I don't have a problem with people buying & selling on for a profit (although a $700 profit may be pushing it) but what I do feel goes against the grain a bit is someone joining a forum just to sell a bass (& quite obviously in the hope that other people had not seen his purchase - if that's not the case he would have sold it on on Talkbass). Birdy & Burbinga5 were just stating their opinion - whether you agree with that or not it certainly doesn't make it a witch hunt. Obviously this is just my opinion. :)

Edited by tazza1

[quote name='Macko1968' post='1047392' date='Dec 4 2010, 03:10 PM']Fair points Beedster, my only concern is what image threads like this present to potential new members. I wonder if the wording of some comments are rather confrontational when they may serve equal purpose if they were tempered or taken to PM.[/quote]

Agreed to a point, although I wonder if many prospective members would actually be encouraged by that thread? A lot of newbies some here looking to buy equipment, and at least threads like that above create a sense of confidence in the self-policing of the sales forums, ensuring that it's hard for a seller to pull a fast one on BC?

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1047367' date='Dec 4 2010, 02:53 PM']No witch hunt, the question was fairly asked, and rather than respond in a professional manner the seller jumped ship. The other comments you're likely referring to came after the fact.

As to whose business it is, if I were considering buying an expensive bass I'd consider it my business, and I'd be pleased that such questions were asked (and ideally responded to) in public. It's one of the reasons I'd far rather buy here than on ebay. There's nothing wrong with buying low and selling high of course, as long as it wasn't bought low for a reason that isn't being disclosed to a potential buyer at the higher price.

C[/quote]
[quote name='tazza1' post='1047396' date='Dec 4 2010, 03:11 PM']Doesn't look like a witch hunt to me - someone merely pointed out that the bass had been bought just a few days previously & at a price a lot less than was being asked here - statement of fact. I don't have a problem with people buying & selling on for a profit (although a $700 profit may be pushing it) but what I do feel goes against the grain a bit is someone joining a forum just to sell a bass (& quite obviously in the hope that other people had not seen his purchase - if that's not the case he would have sold it on on Talkbass). Birdy & Burbinga5 were just stating their opinion - whether you agree with that or not it certainly doesn't make it a witch hunt. Obviously this is just my opinion. :)[/quote]
Surely, our interpretation skills must be remarkably different. Where you see innocent and fair remarks, I see the apparently acceptable tendency here to police and enforce an imaginary and biased code of honour. How can it be acceptable to make these veiled attempts to shame people in such an open fashion? You have a problem with the seller, PM him.

And I strongly disagree with that feeling that it is your business. The fact that he might be selling damaged goods is another scenario, obviously, but that was not the issue raised. How is it, for your interaction with the seller, relevant the fact that he acquired the bass for a penny, a pound or a thousand pounds? It is not, and it seems to me nothing short than arrogant to assume otherwise.

In any case, yes, this is not the best example of the witch hunts sometimes appear around these parts. I am just tired of seeing that and this one just particularly bothered me. Perhaps it is that time of the month.

Edited by setekh

I am a legit seller who joined your forum many months ago and have made purchases from sellers in Europe. I posted the bass for a price where it would make me consider selling the instrument, that is all. If you look at my feedback on talkbass and ebay you will see. I am not a wheeler and dealer, I am a PhD. student in music who loves instruments, especially Celinders. Sorry you guys have got excited about my post, it seems to be more the case of someone getting upset that he didn't get the deal I got. My posted price was a fair price especially considering the recently sold Celinders are this site. Cheers and happy holidays.

The Gold Celinder shipped yesterday to its new owner, I was able to trade her for my old Celinder four string I always regretted selling, luckily the owner wanted a five string.

[quote name='setekh' post='1047479' date='Dec 4 2010, 04:10 PM']Surely, our interpretation skills must be remarkably different.[/quote]

Quite, doesn't make one side right and the other wrong though, just differing views on the same scenario. I think it's a good thing that the forum tends to police itself. You don't. My view is that the self policing of the 'imaginary and biased code' has kept BC a pretty safe and friendly place to trade bass gear over the years. You perhaps disagree, but I'd argue that no self policing would make it either overly tiresome & complex to buy and sell on here as sellers would be replying to PMs all day long, or the mods would have a whole lot more work to do. There would also no doubt be a lot of 'steer clear of that bass because....' PMs behind closed doors of which the seller would be unaware, which could open up all sorts of problems. All the seller had to do in the above situation, as many have done before, is to have responded factually as he now has in the post after yours. However, he didn't do this at the time, he just upped sticks, leaving a few people thinking that perhaps their initial suspicions were in fact justified? Worth bearing in mind that with the exception of Platypus' post, which was hardly a witch hunt, the other posts were all made or edited after the seller had withdrawn the bass.

Anyway, the seller has responded, he's sold the bass, so all's sorted. Always good to discuss these things

Cheers

C

[quote name='portraitoftracy' post='1047487' date='Dec 4 2010, 04:15 PM']I am a legit seller who joined your forum many months ago and have made purchases from sellers in Europe. I posted the bass for a price where it would make me consider selling the instrument, that is all. If you look at my feedback on talkbass and ebay you will see. I am not a wheeler and dealer, I am a PhD. student in music who loves instruments, especially Celinders. Sorry you guys have got excited about my post, it seems to be more the case of someone getting upset that he didn't get the deal I got. My posted price was a fair price especially considering the recently sold Celinders are this site. Cheers and happy holidays.

The Gold Celinder shipped yesterday to its new owner, I was able to trade her for my old Celinder four string I always regretted selling, luckily the owner wanted a five string.[/quote]

If you joined many months ago then please accept my apologies - it's just the way it looked.

Sounds as though it was a satisfying outcome for both parties. :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1047518' date='Dec 4 2010, 04:35 PM']Quite, doesn't make one side right and the other wrong though, just differing views on the same scenario. I think it's a good thing that the forum tends to police itself. You don't. My view is that the self policing of the 'imaginary and biased code' has kept BC a pretty safe and friendly place to trade bass gear over the years. You perhaps disagree, but I'd argue that no self policing would make it either overly tiresome & complex to buy and sell on here as sellers would be replying to PMs all day long, or the mods would have a whole lot more work to do. There would also no doubt be a lot of 'steer clear of that bass because....' PMs behind closed doors of which the seller would be unaware, which could open up all sorts of problems. All the seller had to do in the above situation, as many have done before, is to have responded factually as he now has in the post after yours. However, he didn't do this at the time, he just upped sticks, leaving a few people thinking that perhaps their initial suspicions were in fact justified? Worth bearing in mind that with the exception of Platypus' post, which was hardly a witch hunt, the other posts were all made or edited after the seller had withdrawn the bass.

Anyway, the seller has responded, he's sold the bass, so all's sorted. Always good to discuss these things

Cheers

C[/quote]
Fair enough. Perhaps it is a British thing I can't really come to grips with. I do think one can have a community that looks after its own and does not have any crass vigilante undertones (in fact, I am part of a couple), though.

[quote name='setekh' post='1047542' date='Dec 4 2010, 05:02 PM']Fair enough. Perhaps it is a British thing I can't really come to grips with. I do think one can have a community that looks after its own and does not have any crass vigilante undertones (in fact, I am part of a couple), though.[/quote]

Personally I like the fact that basschat is a community that looks after its own, funded by donations from members, myself and undoubtedly Beedster included, and probably you as well! I've said it before and I'll say it again - if the marketplace becomes an ebay-style site where people are wheeling and dealing with profit the goal, then a) the issue of compulsory listing and sales fees comes up and b ) the 'trad' type of sales threads that were really useful to members get buried by this profiteering competition.
It's not for me to decide how it should be in future but personally I have no interest in funding a site to make other people money, and feel less inclined to contribute in other ways. It's not 'anti-capitalist', it's saying what's the point in that when ebay, gumtree and the like already exist and do a good job? The wonderful thing about the 'customer always being right' is that, ridiculous or not, for some of us customers it makes a difference whether the seller is in it for the profit or is just a bass playing forum contributor moving on a bit of kit they no longer want. I'm grateful that people are prepared to post allowing me to make a more informed decision based on an instrument's history.

Edited by LawrenceH

well done Platypus and great comments beedster.

If this chap was honest why didnt he re-sale the bass in talkbass rather than jumping forum!!!!!!!!!!!! Its just a qucik buck to be made in this bass.

Fair play if you got away with it matey,,,but you were caught and THEN decided to keep it. HHmmmmm!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1047679' date='Dec 4 2010, 07:14 PM']well done Platypus and great comments beedster.

If this chap was honest why didnt he re-sale the bass in talkbass rather than jumping forum!!!!!!!!!!!! Its just a qucik buck to be made in this bass.

Fair play if you got away with it matey,,,but you were caught and THEN decided to keep it. HHmmmmm![/quote]

+1

Agreed. Without getting sentimental, it's actually contributions like this, where others are watching out for everyone else, that makes me comfortable to nbe an active member of this community. You can debate the morality but I for one would have felt totally gutted had I bought a bass for 700 more than it sold 3 days ago on another forum.

All power to you Platypus, Beedster and all. Big thanks