Why become a member? ×

g&l L2000

sambassman

[quote name='sambassman' post='1044888' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:03 PM']hiya chaps/chapesses

iv been looking at the G&L L2000 bass
and what a fine peice of equipment too.

i realise that they use the same electronics in both basses
but is the quallity much different between the pair?
eg: tuners, neck, action?

what do y'all think?

cheers.
sam :)[/quote]

Compared to what? :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1044916' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:20 PM']To be honest there isn't all that much in it. You get G&L stamped hardware on the USA. The Tribute bridge leaves you in no doubt what model it is and the tuners are unbranded generic looking but the construction and feel is pretty much as good as the USA.[/quote]

cheers :)

I hope the USA guys can align tuner backs in a straight line, they're a bit off on my Tribute. It's just the little bits of attention to detail like that which you'd hope the extra wedge would cover.

The only other difference is more choice of finishes on USA G&Ls, choice of neck profile (the Tribute L-2000 only offers a quite chunky P bass like affair, which is fine if you like that sort of thing), other misc options like body binding. Oh, and as far as I'm aware, you can't get a factory fretless Tribute.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1044942' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:41 PM']I hope the USA guys can align tuner backs in a straight line, they're a bit off on my Tribute. It's just the little bits of attention to detail like that which you'd hope the extra wedge would cover.

The only other difference is more choice of finishes on USA G&Ls, choice of neck profile (the Tribute L-2000 only offers a quite chunky P bass like affair, which is fine if you like that sort of thing), other misc options like body binding. Oh, and as far as I'm aware, you can't get a factory fretless Tribute.[/quote]

would you say that the neck on a tribute has a similar feel to a stingray neck?
theyre quite chunky

[quote name='sambassman' post='1044949' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:46 PM']would you say that the neck on a tribute has a similar feel to a stingray neck?
theyre quite chunky[/quote]

Can't tell you with any certainty on that one. What can I say with certainty? "Not a Jazz".

[quote name='sambassman' post='1044949' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:46 PM']would you say that the neck on a tribute has a similar feel to a stingray neck?
theyre quite chunky[/quote]
Cue a bunch of PM's between the guy with the Tribute and the guy with the 'ray to get the answer. :) Only thing is we can't remember. :)

Comparing my 'ray to my 1980 G&L L-1000, the necks are almost identical bar a slightly flatter rear profile on the 'ray. How much this relates to a modern day G&L I don't know. I seem to remember Matt's Trib feeling very much like a P.
Maybe we could meet up at the weekend to get a definitive answer.

I played a couple yesterday and thought the necks were quite a bit chunkier than the 'rays I was comparing them with.

I played a Tribute and a second hand USA-built 1500 (I think) and a couple of Rays, new and old. I actually thought the G&L sounded better, but the Stingrays were just that bit nicer to play, for me.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1045702' date='Dec 2 2010, 09:43 PM']The tributes are great right out of the box. The neck is quite a chunky affair, more so than the stingray I had. I would say it`s like the neck on a 50`s reissue P bass. Good if you like that sort of thing.

Jez[/quote]

i think i need to go and try one

cheers jez

The Tributes share the pickups with the USA range, as well as the pre-amp, but uses lower quality switches and pots. Great instruments, but a USA just has that special feel the tributes don't generate for me. Tragic re-sale value so get yourself a bargain.

Edited by scalpy

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1047030' date='Dec 4 2010, 01:37 AM']If you were playing them in the dark you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference![/quote]

Had both, totally agree with the above, in fact I sold my Usa and kept the 2 tribs.
Best bass I've ever played and I own some expensive stuff :)

IMO of course :)

Used G&L as my main recording and gigging basses for almost 10 years (after years using Yamaha BB series basses). My main instruments were El Toro models, but also played L1000 and L2000 models. For me, US G&L production post 80s has always felt somewhat plastic. Saying that, I've owned and used a number of US G&L, Japanese Premium and Korean and Indonesian Tribute models. Tribute models built in Korea are the equal of contemporary US production. Tribute models built in Indonesia are of a lower quality - using timbers which feel too new (unseasoned) and finished to a lower standard - but still significantly better than many other makers' diffusion lines. As I've said elsewhere the Japanese Premium models (the range, in theory, between US and Tribute lines) are the cream of the crop - and what I'd have in preference to anything produced in the US (since the 80s), Korea or Indonesia.

As to the feel of the neck on current L2000 models, in the standard width/profile, this is slightly wider than a P bass, but a little shallower. Using Fender terminology, what I'd describe as a modern, soft C shape. In the narrow width, this is between a P bass and a J bass, and is the more comfortable of the two G&L widths.

[quote name='tom1946' post='1050442' date='Dec 7 2010, 12:48 PM']My two are Korean and Indonesian and I really can't see/feel any difference? Oh wait, one's natural and the other is dark blue :)

I suppose I'm not a good enough player to notice small nuances between basses.[/quote]

im guessing that the korean ones are the older ones?