Why become a member? ×

Rare Celinder

beerdragon

I've got one with a regular headstock and it's an amazing bass.

That one doesn't have the Celinder pickups. There was a time when he put Bad-ass II's and other kinds of pickup in. Now it's only the hipshot Celinder bridge and hardware, Celinder pickups. The ones with the BA II and non-celinder pickups really aren't the same. Pale imitations IMO.

Edited by Toasted

Sorry Joe but the Update 4 I sold to Crazikiwi has a Badass and Lindy Fralin pickups /Aguilar OBP1 pre and is frequently quoted as the best bass people have played.

I bought it in preference to a newer Update that was in the Gallery at the same time.

I know there are a few combinations that don't appear to work so well but that one really does IMHO.

+1 on Flanker's point.

I played Flanker's Celinder the same day he did in the Gallery, and it definately wasn't lacking anything... (I thought it had Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups though)... To date it's the only Jazz bass I've played that's better than my Joe Osborn Ltd Ed (that includes USA Sadowskys).

I thihnk that one is a little odd looking with the reverse headstock and vintage body styling - but if someone was to give it me for my upcoming birthday then I wouldn't say no!

The bass was built for Thomas Skarbee and he used it to make the samples on the link below - amazing stuff. It used to have a link telling all about the bass itself but I can't find it on his updated site.

You're right about the Celinders though- they are all fantastic basses - the best IMHO.

[url="http://www.scarbee.com/demos/jsf_demos.php"]http://www.scarbee.com/demos/jsf_demos.php[/url]

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='121659' date='Jan 16 2008, 06:30 PM']I don't get the price of that, it's just a jazz bass.[/quote]

Have a listen yourself maybe?

[url="http://www.freewebs.com/crazykiwi_bass/celinderupdate4.htm"]http://www.freewebs.com/crazykiwi_bass/celinderupdate4.htm[/url]

There wasn't a lot of difference between the cost of this bass and the cost of a 70's jazz bass to be honest. In fact, there are probably cheaper basses out there that could do the job just as well. I just wanted a modern bass that could do the 70's Marcus Miller jazz thing quite well with none of the potential risk that a vintage instrument offered. I didn't have to play this Celinder first before purchasing to know that it would be a winner.

If I want to test an amp, generally its the bass I go for first. However it does lack a little as far as mids go so its not the growliest of jazzes out there. The body is very heavy and dense, the bridge is very heavy and dense, the neck is very stiff (with graphite reinforcing) so that kind of recipe is going to end up with a bass which puts out clean, snappy highs and thunderous lows. Softer woods tend to enhance the mid range at the expense of highs and lows. Generally we bassists like a combination of both which is where all the nice innovative designs come from. I'm personally very surprised at how similar a Fodera sounds to a mid-60's jazz tonally, yet they're completely different designs. Go figure.

I also have a Celinder P-bass care of Mr Flanker that is getting a LOT of gigging at the moment. Also, a great bass that does the 70's p-bass thing as well. It has a stock Celinder bridge and pickup in contrast to the jazz. I'd say there's not much in it as far as the quality of the pickups go but I probably prefer the Badass bridge because of the mass it has. There's probably no superior or inferior way to design a bridge, it depend very much on what kind of contribution you want a bridge to make to the overall sound of the bass. If you want the wood to do the talking, then a lighter bridge will do. If you want the bridge to add solidity and snap through adding mass, then a heavier bridge like the Badass will do the job as well.

The more basses I play, the less point I see in making generalisations where bass design is concerned. There are many different ways to achieve the same thing.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Flanker' post='121405' date='Jan 16 2008, 02:19 PM']The bass was built for Thomas Skarbee and he used it to make the samples on the link below - amazing stuff. It used to have a link telling all about the bass itself but I can't find it on his updated site.

[url="http://www.scarbee.com/demos/jsf_demos.php"]http://www.scarbee.com/demos/jsf_demos.php[/url][/quote]

Hey,

I miss that bass - should never have sold it... :rolleyes:

Hope its having a good life though! :)

[quote name='Scarbee' post='524757' date='Jun 26 2009, 11:07 AM']Hey,

I miss that bass - should never have sold it... :lol:

Hope its having a good life though! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Hi Thomas :) that bass used to me mine but I sold it to another Basschat member in Belgium late last year. At least you'll know where it is now though.

It's just a standard neck pickup cover as was fitted to many older Fenders as they left the factory. I think the original intent was that the bass player could rest their hand on it while picking without muting the strings. Marcus Miller still has one although he uses it to rest the heel of his wrist while he's slapping.

[quote]BTW, Wayman Tisdale (who also ironically died of cancer recently) had one of those reverse headstock Celinders made for him, I wish I could find a better pic though.[/quote]

Dunno, that pic speaks volumes to me, looks like a guy I could get on with, chilled and fun at the same time.
Oh you mean the bass...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

The very bass in question is for for sale on www.dba.dk . I´ve played it on a few occasions and it´s absolutely stunning. There really is a point to the rewerse headstock madness as it ads tons of meat and definition to the E-string - pure thunder. Tjek it out, I think his asking around 1600 pounds.

• 3 weeks later...

helow my frinds the bass you are tallking about is in my hands so let me tell what it is,and this is what it is- ash body maple neck,it is called a chlasic,and thats why it got pasive duncan pics,and a not to thik p neck,this is the strongest celinder i ewer owened,it has the thikest sound,and has been compared with wery old fenders,and the rewerse celinder beats them,theres just a lot more bass in the celinder(amazing)you can record it with cheap rec-gear and it will still sound like a milion!the rewerse head-stock gives a wery clear thunder E,and it is more resonant,it works!(so not just for freaky look)but wen you know how it sounds,it only look beutyful,it got the power.
the bass is for sale.
e-mail [email protected]

good vibration!