Why become a member? ×

Marcus and Victor

Pete Academy

good call Pete...WOW..that was mesmerising.... anyone notice Stanley on DB??????

ive always found Vic to be a bit more technical than M. but i prefer MM playing..... but who cares...what a fantastic couple of bassists..

even being a jazz bass nut.....ive got to say i prefer Vic's tone..but i love that lower mid bass tone... i would kill someone to see that live..

i love the ole question answer thang.......im going to give this a few watches..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1042956' date='Nov 30 2010, 09:02 PM']anyone notice Stanley on DB??????[/quote]
Highlight of the video for me. Holding down the groove while the other two do their thing. Niiiice.

[To be honest, around halfway through that video (about 2:10 to 2:30), I thought someone might have cheekily spliced in audio from one of Robin Koerts's parody videos. :) Not my cup of tea anyway, but an interesting video nonetheless.]

[quote name='Master blaster' post='1043142' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:25 PM']i'de like to see the bit after this video. It goes into a nice groove at the end. I love some of the smv stuff, like thunder but I didn't really enjoy this video to much. The start and the end were good but i found the middle a bit hard to listen to. Particularly as BottomEndian said between 2.10 and 2.30.[/quote]

Watching the SMV videos on youtube etc, there are moments with 3 great bassists making great music, and then when they go into 'technique' mode, it clogs up, they all have a unique aproach and signature sounds which don't really fit in together.

This is easy to see on the version of 'Beat It' they did, they all go into this slap thing in the middle, and it just cocks the groove up as much as it can be cocked up...

But, they are 3 of the greatest bass players to have lived, and the three of them on a stage is great fun at times, and they're cool, and i'm not making a living from my bass playing, and they have and are. So my opinion is worth very little.

Edited by AndyTravis

when you say musical it doesnt mean VW isnt....he obviously is...but in a different way... on a side note i love this.. in its own right with his chordal stuff.. the master at work..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHdN_O5k3WM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHdN_O5k3WM[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

Maybe it's the time of night and I'm feeling a tad knackered, but I have to say my attention was waning halfway through this.
Pity it didn't continue on a little longer as I'd also like to have seen a bit more of Stan the man on the DB.
Bass Gods all three, nevertheless! :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1042972' date='Nov 30 2010, 09:15 PM'][To be honest, around halfway through that video (about 2:10 to 2:30), I thought someone might have cheekily spliced in audio from one of Robin Koerts's parody videos. :)[/quote]

Me too :lol:

[quote name='MythSte' post='1042986' date='Nov 30 2010, 09:20 PM']Some nice elements! But im surprised at the amount of finger noise you can hear! Come on lads, tidy up yer technique like...! :)[/quote]

Im not sure its as much techniques as poor choice in tone, Ive never liked Millers tone always sounds weedy and lacking in substance no matter if he plays finger or slap.

Scooby