Why become a member? ×

Something to go with my AMpeg SVT3 PRO

ferg36

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1037574' date='Nov 26 2010, 11:31 AM']Have you considered a lightweight 2x12?

What is your budget?

What style are you playing?

Ive gigged that same amp with the BF Compact and it wasnt that good a match, but it depends on what you need, volume etc.[/quote]
Yeah 2 x 12 would be ok. Just play finger style country/rocknroll -simple stuff! Maybe up to £400. Only small gigs and for backline so dont need big volume.
Ferg

I have used an SVT-3 Pro for years. My main advice would be to go for a 4 Ohm cab if you want a one cab option, as this amp really sounds a lot better into the lower impedance, (as well as being louder).
The best sounding 2x10 that I have found is the Eden D 210 XLT. Quite weighty, but up to almost any size of venue with proper low bass sound.

I use a Schroeder 1212L with my SVT-IIP and preamp (which wouldn't be too far away from an SVT III)

I'd heartily recommend them as a good match esp for country / rock.

Plenty of mids, sits great in a live mix and is therefore more easily heard than most cabs, but with a great low/mid kick. They really suit the frequency hump that Ampegs have got.

You'd get plenty out of your amp too, I've not used an SVTIII live but I've read they're a bit short on headroom - 1212Ls are very efficient.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1042134' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:24 AM']I used my Ampeg SVT3PRO with Mesa Boogie cabs for nearly 10 years. That rig was fat, full, punchy and as loud as you like.[/quote]

Me too... still put mine through my old 'diesel' Mesa 2x15 or Mesa 1516BEV on occasion. VERY nice! Heavy cabs though...

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1046625' date='Dec 3 2010, 05:53 PM']Really? I'm very surprised at that as it's a pretty sensitive driver in there...[/quote]

Well I was shortening what could have been a very long answer.

Basically the compact should be pushing a decent amount of air with at least 300w @ 8ohm, the SVT-3pro spits out 350w @ 8ohm. So you would think it's plenty, not the case, or atleast not the case with my old 3pro and compact. I found mine had To have it's master volume on 3/4 at the least to get the cab to "punch" or what I can only describe as reaching the cabs peak of "tone"(you know like when your on low volume and you don't get the same sound as if you was playing on stage kinda thing). Could have brought another cab but I effectively traded it for an OTB, used it to get around 300w @ 8ohm and it managed to drive the same compact to it's peak at around 1/2 way on the volume knob.

Also a few other reviews state that it's lacking in power unless you are using 2 cabs to get 450w @ 4ohm. Despite that it sounded pretty beasty, loved the sound.

The SVT3PRO is 275 watts at 8 ohms and you should have the Master between 3/4 and full to get the best out of the amp.

A sensitive speaker will make the best use of the watts, so 275 watts driving a sensitive speaker could sound like 400 watts or 150 watts if it's trying to drive a low sensitivity speaker.

My SVT3PRO powered a 400 watt Mesa Boogie 115 to pretty loud levels.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chris_b' post='1047066' date='Dec 4 2010, 05:13 AM']The SVT3PRO is 275 watts at 8 ohms and you should have the Master between 3/4 and full to get the best out of the amp.

A sensitive speaker will make the best use of the watts, so 275 watts driving a sensitive speaker could sound like 400 watts or 150 watts if it's trying to drive a low sensitivity speaker.

My SVT3PRO powered a 400 watt Mesa Boogie 115 to pretty loud levels.[/quote]
Thanks to you all that have replied to my post.
Would a Markbass Standard 102HF 2x10, 8ohm at 400 watts be suitable?

Thanks

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1060940' date='Dec 16 2010, 08:06 PM']Don`t have any advice, but cheekily gonna ask what you think of the SVT3, as am looking at possibly getting one of these (among many other Ampegs).[/quote]
Id like to be able to tell you what its like, but I haven't got a cabinet yet to go with it!!